New Reply
Subscribe
Kyleseglin
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

A great compressor?

Hi all

I'm looking to add a nice compressor to my setup in the near future. My gear as of now is

Manley tube pre
Ua 610
Ua apollo
Fmr rnc
Fmr rnla
Chameleon labs 7720

I have a bunch of uad and waves plugs I mix in with the hardware. I'm looking for a good first high end compressor that will be fairly versatile as I don't have the budget to get a good bass comp, a good vocal comp, a good guitar comp, etc. (at least not yet) so I'm looking for something I can track vocals and acoustic guitars with as well as something I can use on my buses-- guitar drums vox whatever.

I read a lot about 1176 vs la3a vs la2a.. Anyone have thoughts on these or other suggestions to look into? It won't be the last compressor I but, but it will be the last one I get for a while most likely.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

If you are wanting versatility and good sound my pick would be the Distressor. My favorite compressor is the 1176 but I like the Distressor better on bass for sure. You also have access to the new UAD 1176's which are really good IMO so the Distressor seems like the best choice IMO. I think it's the most versatile compressor made and can be at least decent on anything unlike other compressors. It's obviously not stereo but you've got UAD plugins for the stereo stuff and the Distressor is a mainstay in all studios for a reason.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear maniac

What style of music do you record most often? Acoustic? Electric?

For versatility it would be a toss up between 1176 or La3a. Both can be very useful depending on musical style. 1176 has the advantage of in-your-face vocals and 2-buss limiting. Hardly anything faster. La3a can be the ticket on slower sources and is great for smooth vocals.

La2a has a special place in my heart, but it is more colored and more selective of sources. What it does though, nothing can do better!

I've heard great things about the Slate Dragon, but I've never touched the thing.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear nut

A Distressor is a great option, we've got a pair at our studio but since I got a CL1B that's all I've been using on vocals and bass when tracking.
Kyleseglin
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

These are all really helpful replies, thanks.

To clarify-- I'm recording a lot of female vocals for my own personal stuff-- my singer has kind of an Amy whinehouse/soulful voice. Also, a lot of acoustic guitar and clean electric guitar (either strat or SG). I like the coloration and 'gooeyness' of the rnla actually.. And I love using the compressors I have in mixing as well.. Like.. Rnc for the drum bus, rnla for the guitar bus, etc.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleseglin View Post
These are all really helpful replies, thanks.

To clarify-- I'm recording a lot of female vocals for my own personal stuff-- my singer has kind of an Amy whinehouse/soulful voice. Also, a lot of acoustic guitar and clean electric guitar (either strat or SG). I like the coloration and 'gooeyness' of the rnla actually.. And I love using the compressors I have in mixing as well.. Like.. Rnc for the drum bus, rnla for the guitar bus, etc.
For 70s soulish vox, the LA2A is a wonderful compressor. Clean guitars, you are better off with something solid state like 1176 or LA3A. Sounds like you ultimately need a few things. There is no single wonder compressor that will satisfy all of your appetites.
Kyleseglin
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskervils View Post
For 70s soulish vox, the LA2A is a wonderful compressor. Clean guitars, you are better off with something solid state like 1176 or LA3A. Sounds like you ultimately need a few things. There is no single wonder compressor that will satisfy all of your appetites.

Yeah totally, and I know that there isn't one comp for everything. I'm just looking for a good place to start. Especially since they're pricey and I know that means I won't be getting another for a bit. So I guess ideally something that will be good for vocals and could be usable for acoustic guitar and such.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Banned

compex 760
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

You might want to consider a used Peavey AMR VC/L-2... I know, I know, I said Peavey but this is a honest to God otpical tube comp/limiter. I have one and I love it. They don't show up very often and there is one over in the marketplace section here for cheap.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gears...ch-o-gear.html

This is not me or my sale but if you are looking for LA-2A vibe, ya get two channels here. Just thought it worth mentioning.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

If you can swing it a UBK Fatso is pretty darn versatile using the insert.
Kyleseglin
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
You might want to consider a used Peavey AMR VC/L-2... I know, I know, I said Peavey but this is a honest to God otpical tube comp/limiter. I have one and I love it. They don't show up very often and there is one over in the marketplace section here for cheap.

This is not me or my sale but if you are looking for LA-2A vibe, ya get two channels here. Just thought it worth mentioning.
Really? I mean, I believe you I just never hear much good about peavy..
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really? I mean, I believe you I just never hear much good about peavy..
They made the comp I mention and a two channel mic pre called the VMP-2 as well as the line of mixers, which I didn't hear many good things about. These are about the only two "pro audio" pieces I would buy from PV than the Kosmos Pro. The AMR line are a serious pieces of gear believe it or not.
Kyleseglin
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
They made the comp I mention and a two channel mic pre called the VMP-2 as well as the line of mixers, which I didn't hear many good things about. These are about the only two "pro audio" pieces I would buy from PV than the Kosmos Pro. The AMR line are a serious pieces of gear believe it or not.
Right on I gotcha. I have some fmr stuff and a chameleon labs comp, so I was really looking to add something of the 1176/la2a caliber
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all

I'm looking to add a nice compressor to my setup in the near future. My gear as of now is

Manley tube pre
Ua 610
Ua apollo
Fmr rnc
Fmr rnla
Chameleon labs 7720

I have a bunch of uad and waves plugs I mix in with the hardware. I'm looking for a good first high end compressor that will be fairly versatile as I don't have the budget to get a good bass comp, a good vocal comp, a good guitar comp, etc. (at least not yet) so I'm looking for something I can track vocals and acoustic guitars with as well as something I can use on my buses-- guitar drums vox whatever.

I read a lot about 1176 vs la3a vs la2a.. Anyone have thoughts on these or other suggestions to look into? It won't be the last compressor I but, but it will be the last one I get for a while most likely.
Hi

Just a suggestion, of course, but if you wanted a compressor that was FET like some if your suggestions, and also an Opto and both if you wanted a different flavor, and wasn't a knock off of a Neve product ..... You might also look at the GTC2 on our products page...

Posted from my iPhone using the Gearslutz app

See us on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/auroraaudio
http://www.auroraaudio.net/
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may1...off-tanner.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Window-Past-Ge...8737082&sr=1-9
http://www.grandmasterrecorders.com

For quicker responses, please use my email (Geoff at auroraaudio.net) in preference to pm's and visitor messages!
Kyleseglin
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

Just a suggestion, of course, but if you wanted a compressor that was FET like some if your suggestions, and also an Opto and both if you wanted a different flavor, and wasn't a knock off of a Neve product ..... You might also look at the GTC2 on our products page...

Posted from my iPhone using the Gearslutz app
What is your products page
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Funny you mention this one. I've used this unit down at Treelady Studios (Pittsburgh) and it is sweet. I was surprised it was Peavey as well.
www.wordofmoufrecordings.com
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear Head

Geoff Tanner's Aurora GTC2 is Amazing! I have one and teamed up with the GTQ mic pre is all i need. Thanks Geoff!!!!
Kyleseglin
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
I've never heard of it but it sounds like something I might be interested in.. Pricing?
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy077 View Post
those are great compressors but expensive
This IS high end. :-)
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Quote:
I'm looking for a good first high end compressor that will be fairly versatile as I don't have the budget to get a good bass comp, a good vocal comp, a good guitar comp, etc. (at least not yet) so I'm looking for something I can track vocals and acoustic guitars with as well as something I can use on my buses-- guitar drums vox whatever.
I would get a Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor if I were wearing your shoes. That dynamo sounds and works great on all those things.

adam@dspdoctor.com

My Personal Web Page
Kyleseglin
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
I would get a Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor if I was wearing your shoes. That dynamo sounds and works great on all those things.
I don't have much personal experience with it I've heard people love it on drums
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear maniac

20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

The Distressor and the FCS P3S both qualify as swiss army knives. I've had the Distressor for 14 years, and the FCS for 4 years, and tend to lean more heavily on the FCS.

Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73
Kyleseglin
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Does the distressor have a color/character to it? I like comps with personality rather than clean
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear nut

+1 Empirical Labs Distressor
Kyleseglin
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Do you use the distressor on vox?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search