Login / Register
 
A great compressor?
New Reply
Subscribe
Kyleseglin
Thread Starter
#1
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Kyleseglin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,119

Thread Starter
Kyleseglin is offline
A great compressor?

Hi all

I'm looking to add a nice compressor to my setup in the near future. My gear as of now is

Manley tube pre
Ua 610
Ua apollo
Fmr rnc
Fmr rnla
Chameleon labs 7720

I have a bunch of uad and waves plugs I mix in with the hardware. I'm looking for a good first high end compressor that will be fairly versatile as I don't have the budget to get a good bass comp, a good vocal comp, a good guitar comp, etc. (at least not yet) so I'm looking for something I can track vocals and acoustic guitars with as well as something I can use on my buses-- guitar drums vox whatever.

I read a lot about 1176 vs la3a vs la2a.. Anyone have thoughts on these or other suggestions to look into? It won't be the last compressor I but, but it will be the last one I get for a while most likely.
#2
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
camerondye's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,602

camerondye is offline
If you are wanting versatility and good sound my pick would be the Distressor. My favorite compressor is the 1176 but I like the Distressor better on bass for sure. You also have access to the new UAD 1176's which are really good IMO so the Distressor seems like the best choice IMO. I think it's the most versatile compressor made and can be at least decent on anything unlike other compressors. It's obviously not stereo but you've got UAD plugins for the stereo stuff and the Distressor is a mainstay in all studios for a reason.
Quote
1
#3
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
  #3
Gear maniac
 
BluegrassDan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Elizabethton, TN
Posts: 202

BluegrassDan is offline
What style of music do you record most often? Acoustic? Electric?

For versatility it would be a toss up between 1176 or La3a. Both can be very useful depending on musical style. 1176 has the advantage of in-your-face vocals and 2-buss limiting. Hardly anything faster. La3a can be the ticket on slower sources and is great for smooth vocals.

La2a has a special place in my heart, but it is more colored and more selective of sources. What it does though, nothing can do better!

I've heard great things about the Slate Dragon, but I've never touched the thing.
#4
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
  #4
Gear nut
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Nashville, TN.
Posts: 139

Jeff Braun is offline
A Distressor is a great option, we've got a pair at our studio but since I got a CL1B that's all I've been using on vocals and bass when tracking.
Quote
1
Kyleseglin
Thread Starter
#5
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Kyleseglin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,119

Thread Starter
Kyleseglin is offline
These are all really helpful replies, thanks.

To clarify-- I'm recording a lot of female vocals for my own personal stuff-- my singer has kind of an Amy whinehouse/soulful voice. Also, a lot of acoustic guitar and clean electric guitar (either strat or SG). I like the coloration and 'gooeyness' of the rnla actually.. And I love using the compressors I have in mixing as well.. Like.. Rnc for the drum bus, rnla for the guitar bus, etc.
#6
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
baskervils's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,603
My Recordings/Credits

baskervils is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleseglin View Post
These are all really helpful replies, thanks.

To clarify-- I'm recording a lot of female vocals for my own personal stuff-- my singer has kind of an Amy whinehouse/soulful voice. Also, a lot of acoustic guitar and clean electric guitar (either strat or SG). I like the coloration and 'gooeyness' of the rnla actually.. And I love using the compressors I have in mixing as well.. Like.. Rnc for the drum bus, rnla for the guitar bus, etc.
For 70s soulish vox, the LA2A is a wonderful compressor. Clean guitars, you are better off with something solid state like 1176 or LA3A. Sounds like you ultimately need a few things. There is no single wonder compressor that will satisfy all of your appetites.
Kyleseglin
Thread Starter
#7
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Kyleseglin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,119

Thread Starter
Kyleseglin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskervils View Post
For 70s soulish vox, the LA2A is a wonderful compressor. Clean guitars, you are better off with something solid state like 1176 or LA3A. Sounds like you ultimately need a few things. There is no single wonder compressor that will satisfy all of your appetites.

Yeah totally, and I know that there isn't one comp for everything. I'm just looking for a good place to start. Especially since they're pricey and I know that means I won't be getting another for a bit. So I guess ideally something that will be good for vocals and could be usable for acoustic guitar and such.
#8
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
  #8
Banned
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 579

Tonycamp is offline
compex 760
#9
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Crash's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 2,060

Crash is online now
You might want to consider a used Peavey AMR VC/L-2... I know, I know, I said Peavey but this is a honest to God otpical tube comp/limiter. I have one and I love it. They don't show up very often and there is one over in the marketplace section here for cheap.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gears...ch-o-gear.html

This is not me or my sale but if you are looking for LA-2A vibe, ya get two channels here. Just thought it worth mentioning.
__________________
www.miximusmaximus.com
#10
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
henge's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Bowmanville,Ontario
Posts: 2,886
My Recordings/Credits

henge is offline
If you can swing it a UBK Fatso is pretty darn versatile using the insert.
Kyleseglin
Thread Starter
#11
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Kyleseglin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,119

Thread Starter
Kyleseglin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
You might want to consider a used Peavey AMR VC/L-2... I know, I know, I said Peavey but this is a honest to God otpical tube comp/limiter. I have one and I love it. They don't show up very often and there is one over in the marketplace section here for cheap.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gears...ch-o-gear.html

This is not me or my sale but if you are looking for LA-2A vibe, ya get two channels here. Just thought it worth mentioning.
Really? I mean, I believe you I just never hear much good about peavy..
#12
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Crash's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 2,060

Crash is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleseglin View Post
Really? I mean, I believe you I just never hear much good about peavy..
They made the comp I mention and a two channel mic pre called the VMP-2 as well as the line of mixers, which I didn't hear many good things about. These are about the only two "pro audio" pieces I would buy from PV than the Kosmos Pro. The AMR line are a serious pieces of gear believe it or not.
Kyleseglin
Thread Starter
#13
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Kyleseglin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,119

Thread Starter
Kyleseglin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
They made the comp I mention and a two channel mic pre called the VMP-2 as well as the line of mixers, which I didn't hear many good things about. These are about the only two "pro audio" pieces I would buy from PV than the Kosmos Pro. The AMR line are a serious pieces of gear believe it or not.
Right on I gotcha. I have some fmr stuff and a chameleon labs comp, so I was really looking to add something of the 1176/la2a caliber
#14
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Geoff_T's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Tujunga
Posts: 4,328

Geoff_T is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleseglin View Post
Hi all

I'm looking to add a nice compressor to my setup in the near future. My gear as of now is

Manley tube pre
Ua 610
Ua apollo
Fmr rnc
Fmr rnla
Chameleon labs 7720

I have a bunch of uad and waves plugs I mix in with the hardware. I'm looking for a good first high end compressor that will be fairly versatile as I don't have the budget to get a good bass comp, a good vocal comp, a good guitar comp, etc. (at least not yet) so I'm looking for something I can track vocals and acoustic guitars with as well as something I can use on my buses-- guitar drums vox whatever.

I read a lot about 1176 vs la3a vs la2a.. Anyone have thoughts on these or other suggestions to look into? It won't be the last compressor I but, but it will be the last one I get for a while most likely.
Hi

Just a suggestion, of course, but if you wanted a compressor that was FET like some if your suggestions, and also an Opto and both if you wanted a different flavor, and wasn't a knock off of a Neve product ..... You might also look at the GTC2 on our products page...

Posted from my iPhone using the Gearslutz app
__________________
Geoff Tanner
Aurora Audio International

See us on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/auroraaudio
http://www.auroraaudio.net/
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may1...off-tanner.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Window-Past-Ge...8737082&sr=1-9
http://www.grandmasterrecorders.com

For quicker responses, please use my email (Geoff at auroraaudio.net) in preference to pm's and visitor messages!
Kyleseglin
Thread Starter
#15
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Kyleseglin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,119

Thread Starter
Kyleseglin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

Just a suggestion, of course, but if you wanted a compressor that was FET like some if your suggestions, and also an Opto and both if you wanted a different flavor, and wasn't a knock off of a Neve product ..... You might also look at the GTC2 on our products page...

Posted from my iPhone using the Gearslutz app
What is your products page
#16
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 
E.rOk.stA's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: 'da Pitts, PA
Posts: 3,052

E.rOk.stA is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
You might want to consider a used Peavey AMR VC/L-2... I know, I know, I said Peavey but this is a honest to God otpical tube comp/limiter. I have one and I love it. They don't show up very often and there is one over in the marketplace section here for cheap.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gears...ch-o-gear.html

This is not me or my sale but if you are looking for LA-2A vibe, ya get two channels here. Just thought it worth mentioning.
Funny you mention this one. I've used this unit down at Treelady Studios (Pittsburgh) and it is sweet. I was surprised it was Peavey as well.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsilva View Post
Anyone Swap Digi 003 tubes? Is this even possible ? Anyone out there do it and if so what kind of results you get ?
www.wordofmoufrecordings.com
#17
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Geoff_T's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Tujunga
Posts: 4,328

Geoff_T is offline
#18
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
  #18
Gear Head
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 67

Woody Haze is offline
Geoff Tanner's Aurora GTC2 is Amazing! I have one and teamed up with the GTQ mic pre is all i need. Thanks Geoff!!!!
Kyleseglin
Thread Starter
#19
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Kyleseglin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,119

Thread Starter
Kyleseglin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
I've never heard of it but it sounds like something I might be interested in.. Pricing?
#20
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
  #20
Lives for gear
 
littlesicily's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,006

littlesicily is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy077 View Post
those are great compressors but expensive
This IS high end. :-)
#21
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
  #21
Lives for gear
 
littlesicily's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,006

littlesicily is offline
#22
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
  #22
Lives for gear
 
littlesicily's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,006

littlesicily is offline
#23
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Geoff_T's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Tujunga
Posts: 4,328

Geoff_T is offline
#24
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
  #24
70% Coffee, 30% Beer
 
Doc Mixwell's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Quincy, MA
Posts: 10,042

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Doc Mixwell is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleseglin View Post
I'm looking for a good first high end compressor that will be fairly versatile as I don't have the budget to get a good bass comp, a good vocal comp, a good guitar comp, etc. (at least not yet) so I'm looking for something I can track vocals and acoustic guitars with as well as something I can use on my buses-- guitar drums vox whatever.
I would get a Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor if I were wearing your shoes. That dynamo sounds and works great on all those things.
__________________
Adam J. Brass
DSPdoctor.com



__________________
If you enjoy reading my posts, please consider working with me and my shop DSPdoctor on your next studio upgrade

adam@dspdoctor.com

My Personal Web Page
Kyleseglin
Thread Starter
#25
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Kyleseglin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,119

Thread Starter
Kyleseglin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
I would get a Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor if I was wearing your shoes. That dynamo sounds and works great on all those things.
I don't have much personal experience with it I've heard people love it on drums
#26
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
  #26
Gear maniac
 
Doc No's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Berlin - Germany
Posts: 252

Doc No is offline
#27
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
  #27
Lives for gear
 
emrr's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: nc
Posts: 1,467

emrr is offline
The Distressor and the FCS P3S both qualify as swiss army knives. I've had the Distressor for 14 years, and the FCS for 4 years, and tend to lean more heavily on the FCS.
__________________
Best,

Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73
Kyleseglin
Thread Starter
#28
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Kyleseglin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,119

Thread Starter
Kyleseglin is offline
Does the distressor have a color/character to it? I like comps with personality rather than clean
#29
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
  #29
Gear nut
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Bolivia - Chile
Posts: 109

germanduranv is offline
+1 Empirical Labs Distressor
Kyleseglin
Thread Starter
#30
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Kyleseglin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,119

Thread Starter
Kyleseglin is offline
Do you use the distressor on vox?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
tarnationsauce / So much gear, so little time!
4
Jalabodu / So much gear, so little time!
2
MichaelPatrick / Mastering forum
3
rodhmos / So much gear, so little time!
4

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.