Login / Register

A great compressor?
New Reply
Subscribe
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

I use a valve mic for vocals and have found that I have to be carefull how much colour I have in the chain. My 6176 is only good for ott kind of vocals. I end up using my DBX162sl most of the time,as it is kind of transparent and fast.
Mind you I have been working a lot with lispy singers recently.
1176 on acoustic guitar is "that" sound though.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

The Demeter VTCL-2 is a really good bang for the buck. It's a stereo compressor or two mono compressors in one box. It can get an LA2A, a Fairchild or get pretty aggressive if needed. New they were around $2400 and now you can get them used for around a $1000 to $1300 depending on condition and tube upgrades. If you do a search you'll see plenty of praise for them.

NGI
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

I think if you heard the 1176 and like it on a lot of stuff then you are done and shouldn't buy anything but that. If you got the chance to hear it and love it then sounds like nothing else will do at the moment. The 1176 is my favorite compressor I've ever tried, it makes things sound aggressive and I love it. The new UAD-2 1176 vst's are really great also but having the hardware is still better.
Kyleseglin
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Found a distressor for $900 I think that's what I'm going with
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear nut

Good call! Let us know what you think.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleseglin View Post
Found a distressor for $900 I think that's what I'm going with
Good deal, congrats.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone have opinions about el8 vs el8x?
I have 3 Distressors. The EL8x I just use as an EL8. The brit mode option gives the unit an insane number sounds it can pull, and is far more aggressive than the regular EL8 mode not just in ratio curves. But even with all that, the core of the Distressor sound lies in the regular el8 mode, imo anyway.

If vox is a primary concern there are some people (including me) who arnt so hot on the Distressor for vox. It works in some genres, others I'd rather almost anything else... I think it darkens it too much and doesnt add enough mojo. But thats me.

If Vox is your main concern but you need it to do more than that... then I would look at a 76, La3a, or API 525. The 76 works on almost everything and will bring things forward in the mix. The La3a works on vox, bass, gtrs, acoustics, etc and has a wonderfully transparent but pretty sounding compression characteristic on top of having a transformer sound. The API 525 is a FET that works pretty much anywhere an LA3A would and more.... but with a completely different sound, much darker compression characteristic. It also destroys on kick drums & bass.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SighBorg View Post
I have 3 Distressors. The EL8x I just use as an EL8. The brit mode option gives the unit an insane number sounds it can pull, and is far more aggressive than the regular EL8 mode not just in ratio curves. But even with all that, the core of the Distressor sound lies in the regular el8 mode, imo anyway.

If vox is a primary concern there are some people (including me) who arnt so hot on the Distressor for vox. It works in some genres, others I'd rather almost anything else... I think it darkens it too much and doesnt add enough mojo. But thats me.

If Vox is your main concern but you need it to do more than that... then I would look at a 76, La3a, or API 525. The 76 works on almost everything and will bring things forward in the mix. The La3a works on vox, bass, gtrs, acoustics, etc and has a wonderfully transparent but pretty sounding compression characteristic on top of having a transformer sound. The API 525 is a FET that works pretty much anywhere an LA3A would and more.... but with a completely different sound, much darker compression characteristic. It also destroys on kick drums & bass.
When do you feel it works for vox?
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Hiphop/rap

BTW, 900 is a great price because it makes it safe to demo. You can find out if you like it for what you need and if not you will have 0 problems offloading it & be able to try something else. Tons of people like the unit on vox, maybe you will too, just not my cup of tea most times. I wouldnt have 3 units if I didnt like them.
Kyleseglin
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

Just wanted to share that I ended up with a distressor and it's great. Thanks for all the suggestions. I totally get what everyone meant when saying its versatile/Swiss army knife.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search