Login / Register

A great compressor?
New Reply
Subscribe
Kyleseglin
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Interesting because others say the la2a is not quite as versatile as others. I do love ua sounds though. Main vocal mic is a beesneez Arabella tube mic and also sometimes an sm7
Kyleseglin
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

I'm also considering starting a 500 series setup..
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

It's all a matter of taste and budget. The two main catagories of compressors that most people use every day are optical units and FET compressors. Optical units work via a photocell, a sort of light bulb, and when the signal gets louder the light gets brighter and this causes the gain to be reduced. Example of optical units include the Urei LA-2A and LA-3A, the Manley ELOP (and their now discontinued solid state Langevin version), Tube Tech CL-1B, and the Anthony Demaria CL1000 and CL1500. Optical units provide fairly TRANSPARENT compression and are good for people who don't want to hear compression artifacts. Although there are no rules, optical compression is often used for vocals when tracking but they also work well on acoustic guitars and bass. However, if you want to squash the heck out of something, you want an FET compressor.

FET units include the Urei 1176 and 1178, the dbx 160VU and a host of others. These of course can be used for anything, including vocals, but are probably most popular on electric guitars and drums, but again, it depends on your taste. These types of compressors can really give you some HEAVY gain reduction and will leave some sonic artifacts which you may or may not like.

The Distressor tries to imitate a couple of different compressors and will give you some flexibility, but nothing imitates an optical unit like a real optical unit and it sounds to me like that is what you are looking for. Having said that, Geoff Tanner has a great reputation and I am sure his Aurora brand, Neve inspired, compressor is great but I have not used one.
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins View Post

The Distressor tries to imitate a couple of different compressors and will give you some flexibility, but nothing imitates an optical unit like a real optical unit and it sounds to me like that is what you are looking for.
Great post, Jim. Yes, I agree, as well. The Distressor will get you in the ballpark, and still a good choice for a first compressor (it was my first real compressor), but I still believe a real La2a, 1176, etc sound better than the emulations of them... for a lot more money that is :-)
Kyleseglin
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins View Post
It's all a matter of taste and budget. The two main catagories of compressors that most people use every day are optical units and FET compressors. Optical units work via a photocell, a sort of light bulb, and when the signal gets louder the light gets brighter and this causes the gain to be reduced. Example of optical units include the Urei LA-2A and LA-3A, the Manley ELOP (and their now discontinued solid state Langevin version), Tube Tech CL-1B, and the Anthony Demaria CL1000 and CL1500. Optical units provide fairly TRANSPARENT compression and are good for people who don't want to hear compression artifacts. Although there are no rules, optical compression is often used for vocals when tracking but they also work well on acoustic guitars and bass. However, if you want to squash the heck out of something, you want an FET compressor.

FET units include the Urei 1176 and 1178, the dbx 160VU and a host of others. These of course can be used for anything, including vocals, but are probably most popular on electric guitars and drums, but again, it depends on your taste. These types of compressors can really give you some HEAVY gain reduction and will leave some sonic artifacts which you may or may not like.

The Distressor tries to imitate a couple of different compressors and will give you some flexibility, but nothing imitates an optical unit like a real optical unit and it sounds to me like that is what you are looking for. Having said that, Geoff Tanner has a great reputation and I am sure his Aurora brand, Neve inspired, compressor is great but I have not used one.
Is the dbx in the same league as the ua and others? I hear good things about that particular dbx but never anything good about them as a whole
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

The dbx comps are great for what they do... but, IMO, not for vocals.
Kyleseglin
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
No problem,
happy to help
FWIW, I would not sweat on the "Brit Mode" so much for your applications,
I would just roll with the EL8, its a great unit,
At least it would be a great one to try out and see if you like it for your music,

happy new year
How big of a step up is the el8 from say.. An rnc or a chameleon 7720? Where/how will I notice the difference? Just curious since you seem to know what you're talking about.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleseglin View Post
How big of a step up is the el8 from say.. An rnc or a chameleon 7720? Where/how will I notice the difference? Just curious since you seem to know what you're talking about.
I have an RNC, never tried the 7720. Not sure what leads to any comparison, besides your curiosity. The RNC is super transparent, vanilla, has no character. It has a range of compression shaping, but it all sounds like super transparent soft and clean.

A great unit for the money. Everyone should have at least ONE FMR Compressor around. How could you not at that price!?! I use my FMR compressors [RNC and RNLA] EVERY session for something!!!

Anyway, the EL8 has much more character to compression and a more apparent color coming out of the XLR connector. It does a lot more tricks with color, saturation, and overall shaping to the signal. I would say it can do more "warm" tricks, than the RNC. Its a very versatile switchblade of a compressor/limiter and also a HEAVY lifter in the studio.
Kyleseglin
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
I have an RNC, never tried the 7720. Not sure what leads to any comparison, besides your curiosity. The RNC is super transparent, vanilla, has no character. It has a range of compression shaping, but it all sounds like super transparent soft and clean.

A great unit for the money. Everyone should have at least ONE FMR Compressor around. How could you not at that price!?! I use my FMR compressors [RNC and RNLA] EVERY session for something!!!

Anyway, the EL8 has much more character to compression and a more apparent color coming out of the XLR connector. It does a lot more tricks with color, saturation, and overall shaping to the signal. I would say it can do more "warm" tricks, than the RNC. Its a very versatile switchblade of a compressor/limiter and also a HEAVY lifter in the studio.
Gotcha. I only asked about the 7720
Because I've got one of those also. I just happened upon some older threads where you were also raving about the fmr pcb comp.. Sounds interesting. So sounds like the fmr line holds its own to an extent against some of the big guys? I'm guessing you've got some high end comps in your rack as well?
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Quote:
Gotcha. I only asked about the 7720
Because I've got one of those also. I just happened upon some older threads where you were also raving about the fmr pcb comp.. Sounds interesting. So sounds like the fmr line holds its own to an extent against some of the big guys? I'm guessing you've got some high end comps in your rack as well?
Yes, I sell high end gear
That is what I do for a living,
Aside from having a lotta fun in the studio recording and mixing
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

I'm a naysayer on the original RNC, they work fine, but in the end I decided they make everything sound a bit smaller. Mine eventually sat unused for several years, and then went away. I don't miss them. Everyone else mostly loves them; if you need a more channels on a budget they are hard to argue with, but then you can also find Aphex units on the used market for a similar price. Lots of people are fans of those.

Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73
Kyleseglin
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
I'm a naysayer on the original RNC, they work fine, but in the end I decided they make everything sound a bit smaller. Mine eventually sat unused for several years, and then went away. I don't miss them. Everyone else mostly loves them; if you need a more channels on a budget they are hard to argue with, but then you can also find Aphex units on the used market for a similar price. Lots of people are fans of those.
Just the rnc? How do you feel about the pcb 6a comp by fmr?
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

I own all of the RNC comps and the PBC is the poor mans distressor IMO. It can do decent to great on just about everything and can give some character also. I want another PBC for stereo. Doc's description of the RNC above is spot on IMO.
Kyleseglin
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
I own all of the RNC comps and the PBC is the poor mans distressor IMO. It can do decent to great on just about everything and can give some character also. I want another PBC for stereo. Doc's description of the RNC above is spot on IMO.
So maybe the pbc is a good addition.. Sounds like it might be worth it
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just the rnc? How do you feel about the pcb 6a comp by fmr?
Never heard one, no comment.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
I'm a naysayer on the original RNC, they work fine, but in the end I decided they make everything sound a bit smaller.
agreed
Kyleseglin
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Well, looks like I might be maxed out at 1k for right now. I've been playing with some friends gear I like what the 1176 does to most everything.. Didnt get to try it on acoustic guitar though. Anyone have a suggestion given those two things?
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, looks like I might be maxed out at 1k for right now. I've been playing with some friends gear I like what the 1176 does to most everything.. Didnt get to try it on acoustic guitar though. Anyone have a suggestion given those two things?
were u using the UA 1176 revision?
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

btw, the 1176 is great on acgtr, IMO.
Kyleseglin
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
btw, the 1176 is great on acgtr, IMO.
I bet it is I'm going to have to try it. It was an 1176ln.. The number of versions of that thing confuse me
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I bet it is I'm going to have to try it. It was an 1176ln.. The number of versions of that thing confuse me
There's a UREI 1176LN and also a UA 1176LN revision. Do u remember if it had UREI written on it?
Kyleseglin
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
There's a UREI 1176LN and also a UA 1176LN revision. Do u remember if it had UREI written on it?
I don't.. Ill find out. Are there legitimate differences between the versions?
Kyleseglin
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Someone I know is offering to sell me an 1176ln blackface urei for 1000
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't.. Ill find out. Are there legitimate differences between the versions?
Yes, I think so.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Someone I know is offering to sell me an 1176ln blackface urei for 1000
Can't be a blackface UREI for $1000... they usually start at $2200 or so.

Must be a Universal Audio revision or... a gift price and u better get it quick!
Kyleseglin
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can't be a blackface UREI for $1000... they usually start at $2200 or so.

Must be a Universal Audio revision or... a gift price and u better get it quick!
What's a universal audio revision?
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's a universal audio revision?
The original blackface 1176's were made by UREI in 1970's.

Universal Audio began making a revision in 2000.

The revisions are cool but don't capture quite the mojo of the UREI.

Here's a brief history.
1176 and LA-2A Hardware Revision History - Blog - Universal Audio

There are lots of threads of GS about the various revisions.
Urei 1176 revision A B C D E F G H ???

If you have $1000 to spend the UA revision is a good choice.
Kyleseglin
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Guru

Still my favorite compressor - in the Buzz Audio ARC 1.1:

The thing just kills.

If you want only the compressor:

Studio Cat i7 + RME UFX + Linkwitz Orions + Tyler Acoustics Linbrooks + Buzz Audio ARC + GT-67 + Sonar + Komplete + Omnisphere-Trilian-Stylus + Symphobia + Mo-Tone Custom Tele
Kyleseglin
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

Still my favorite compressor - in the Buzz Audio ARC 1.1:

The thing just kills.

If you want only the compressor:

Ha that things massive. I bet it's great but it's definitely more than I'd need for my purposes
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search