Digitally controlled analog mixer.
New Reply
Subscribe
caronte23
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear maniac

Digitally controlled analog mixer.

Hi everyone, just out of curiousity, is there out there an analog mixer all in a rack, with recallable volumes, eqs, dynamics sends, pans etc but all without physical knobs faders or motors...to be controlled from a remote digital surface..
Something like this could also be integrated with pro tools and ICON or any other daw using plugins and midi controllers... would be great in studios for total recalls of entire mixes on an analog system, but also in big live outdoor situations where you could keep the analog rack safe in a truck.
What do you guys think?
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Check out the GREINER Summation. It is controllable from your DAW. It has no EQs though but then that would skyrocket the price for sure!
Pair it with a Bettermaker EQ and you're set..
caronte23
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear maniac

I see that GREINER may be not out yet, but anyways I don't see why big companies like SSL NEVE etc didn't go in this direction, they could even do everything in separate modules to get into home studios as well, but so that if one wanted could put up a whole 64ch console...
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by caronte23 View Post
I see that GREINER may be not out yet, but anyways I don't see why big companies like SSL NEVE etc didn't go in this direction, they could even do everything in separate modules to get into home studios as well, but so that if one wanted could put up a whole 64ch console...
Euphonix CS2000.....Harrison Series 10.

Both great consoles, both capable of very clever stuff...however in practice, no good for commercial studios with clients who just wanted to be able to sit down and work with hassles, not reading a manual. I knew a few places with Euphonix...they ended up not getting used and switched out for either traditional consoles or control surfaces.

There's plenty of Euphonix for sale second hand, at cut down prices...because once they go wrong, it's going to be a devil to fix them.

The scale down thing is a nice idea but financially I guess doesn't work quite as well as you might think. Essentially that's what an X-Rack is doing...

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel,
Edens March
and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Taylor Henderson (Aus #1 ARIA Album), Di-Rect (Dutch #1 single), etc
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
The Great River MixMaster20 is a rack unit and has a helpful Mac/Pc USB - GUI control application for snap shot recall with the storable parameters (pan, level) on channels 5-20
caronte23
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Euphonix CS2000.....Harrison Series 10.

Both great consoles, both capable of very clever stuff...however in practice, no good for commercial studios with clients who just wanted to be able to sit down and work with hassles, not reading a manual. I knew a few places with Euphonix...they ended up not getting used and switched out for either traditional consoles or control surfaces.

There's plenty of Euphonix for sale second hand, at cut down prices...because once they go wrong, it's going to be a devil to fix them.

The scale down thing is a nice idea but financially I guess doesn't work quite as well as you might think. Essentially that's what an X-Rack is doing...
Great input! The Harrison sounds juicy ... the x-rack is great, but imagine all automatable and recallable, even if you anly had say 4 eqs you could still freeze tracks and then recall the settings for changes.. it's a completely different world...
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great input! The Harrison sounds juicy ... the x-rack is great, but imagine all automatable and recallable, even if you anly had say 4 eqs you could still freeze tracks and then recall the settings for changes.. it's a completely different world...
The harrison is juicy! I had one they sound amazing. But unless you have a tech, using harrison is going to kill you financially. Very nickle and dime company, will extract what they can from you. I use a euphonix now (cs-ii)/ cs2000. Digitally controlled analog is great! Just make wise decisions before you buy.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

I remember reading some threads abt such a mixer (discontinued) manufactured by Netherlands I think, can't recall the name, but supposedly high-quality and very affordable. Digitally controlled, with the analog interface on racks, the mixer has a very compact footprint. Any one can chime in?
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
drake.ch

Euphonix!
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Mmm, the people willing to pay for such tech are minimal. I rarely automate eqs; if I need to I parallel the channel or more usually do it ITB. Same with ssl dynamics. What's the need? If it cost 1k more per channel for automated pots, would you pay it?
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-MHE View Post
The harrison is juicy! I had one they sound amazing. But unless you have a tech, using harrison is going to kill you financially. Very nickle and dime company, will extract what they can from you. I use a euphonix now (cs-ii)/ cs2000. Digitally controlled analog is great! Just make wise decisions before you buy.
They are amazing consoles once you know them. But god help you if your one goes wrong!
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Euphonix sound really great too.

Real shame it didn't take off. Great idea : Too complicated.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Euphonix cs series consoles and Harrison series 10 or twelve console. Both sound great. I looked into getting a Harrison, but upkeep on it sounded like too much for me. I own a euphonix instead. Upkeep is practically zero so far for the almost five years I've had it. Getting to really know the console, it really becomes less of a scary piece if you had to fix something. The controller section is pretty simple. The modules are inexpensive if something fails and it's built incredibly well.

The thing I see as the weak point for these consoles are the computers that are part of the system. Fortunately people are almost done working on a solution for using a new computer and porting everything to pieces available today and the foreseeable future. Pentium dos computers are sooo 1993.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
But god help you if your one goes wrong!
Yep, Pete Clark of Harrison is indeed our savior!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
Pentium dos computers are sooo 1993.
So are Apple II VXs (for Harrison Series 12)...
Attached Images

12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit7 View Post
Yep, Pete Clark of Harrison is indeed our savior!

So are Apple II VX (for Harrison Series 12)...
+1
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Hi
Calrec, Audix, Neve, SSL and others had 'assignable' desks from early to mid '80's from a time when PCs weren't that established as a platform. Thus the desk manufacturers used their own 'hard/software' for essential control functions and left the 'PC as a 'front end' or maintenance tool.
By the time these desks were really getting going, the world moved on to the possibility of fully digital audio and eventually it will be good enough to replace analogue.
It is all possible but not at the price 'punters' are willing to pay.
Matt S
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to juniorhifikit Send a message via Skype™ to juniorhifikit
Quote:
Sum.mation is most certainly available - check the website for details. RTAS plugin is currently available; AU is in final beta, and VST is not long off.

FWIW, the last record I mixed in France was at a studio with a Euphonix when they bought them. While it's a cool console and sounds pretty good, it's complicated to operate and broke down often. Constantly trying to figure out if it was my operator error or the console bugging, was rather distracting from the mix process. The owner bought a second one for spare parts.

Too bad Avid didn't make a Pro Tools control interface for the Euphonix when they bought them - but then again, that's not their mantra.

Last edited by juniorhifikit; 12th December 2012 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: clarity
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I own a euphonix instead.
Nick, did you ever get the moving faders retrofit working on your CS2000 (MIDIbox etc)?
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Yes I did!
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

The way it works now is that you can use the faders as normal or turn them on and use the DAW automation to control the consoles faders. Took a while to figure out all the kinks.
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhifikit View Post
FWIW, the last record I mixed in France was at a studio with a Euphonix when they bought them. While it's a cool console and sounds pretty good, it's complicated to operate and broke down often. Constantly trying to figure out if it was my operator error or the console bugging, was rather distracting from the mix process. The owner bought a second one for spare parts.

Too bad Avid didn't make a Pro Tools control interface for the Euphonix when they bought them - but then again, that's not their mantra.
Yikes! Sounds horrible, and unlike any experience I have ever heard with the CS series consoles. Its definitely not a console I would put in a commercial room because of its complexity, but it sure is a dream come true for a private facility/producer/mix engineer that will learn all it can do.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to studjo Send a message via Skype™ to studjo
just to put things into perspective - upkeep on my Harrison Series 12 has been close to zero (about 5 years of use - not full production facility but one man shop and quite busy) - Sound is the best I ever heard coming out of a 2bus. Yup I read the manual but I did the same when I bought the D&R and the Harrison is really straight forward in use (even when you use all possible automation ...)

Love my Harry!
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
just to put things into perspective - upkeep on my Harrison Series 12 has been close to zero (about 5 years of use - not full production facility but one man shop and quite busy) - Sound is the best I ever heard coming out of a 2bus. Yup I read the manual but I did the same when I bought the D&R and the Harrison is really straight forward in use (even when you use all possible automation ...)

Love my Harry!
If I ever get another console, it will be this one. I just love em. That's great to hear no problems with yours. Euphonix CS2000 in one room, Harrison series 12 in the other. Sounds like fun to me
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Gear maniac

My Studio

Just buy a Dangerous Music 2-BUS LT 16 channels of D/A (fully expandable)and add it to your current mixer controller. Your recall settings are in your DAW and you get a big sound for way less. just 2 cents.

Alex "Q-Da$h" Medina
CEO, Vision Kings Music Group LLC.
Audio Mixing Engineer
Producer/Writer
Email: qdash@visionkings.com
Alt. Email: visionkings12@gmail.com

mobile: 478-396-0003
URL: http://www.visionkings.com
www.facebook.com/visionkings
www.facebook.com/alexqdashmedina

"Let's Make Our Dreams Reality"

16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrstudios View Post
Just buy a Dangerous Music 2-BUS LT 16 channels of D/A (fully expandable)and add it to your current mixer controller. Your recall settings are in your DAW and you get a big sound for way less. just 2 cents.
Not even close to the same thing(features, sound) But certainly usable.
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to studjo Send a message via Skype™ to studjo
Quote:
I totally agree - it's a different workflow on a real console - absolutely. There are the ergonomics, muscle memory ... and IMVHO the sound. I mixing a record right now where the tracking eng. did some EQing in PT. I replaced those and everybody was amazed how much better an analog EQ sounds compared to the digital versions ... don't get me started on compressors

In my world there's no other way but that's just me
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

And the Harrison's EQ sounds about as good as it gets IMO. Plugin eq is no fun at all.
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Gear maniac

My Studio

Quote:
I do use plenty of analog outboard gear in conjunction with mixing through my dangerous music products for the analog punch and dynamics. I was just saying it does work. But I can also agree with the muscle memory and additional features. ;-) Outboard EQs also rule. I never used a consoles channel strip EQ though.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Euphonix cs series consoles and Harrison series 10 or twelve console.
caronte23
5th April 2013
Old 5th April 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Mmm, the people willing to pay for such tech are minimal. I rarely automate eqs; if I need to I parallel the channel or more usually do it ITB. Same with ssl dynamics. What's the need? If it cost 1k more per channel for automated pots, would you pay it?
Yeah no also I almost never do eq or dynamics automations... the only need would be to recall mixes for quick changes...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search