Better late than never... Pelonis model 42
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Better late than never... Pelonis model 42

I think it was about 6 months ago or so that my partner in crime brought in a pair of Pelonis model 42 monitors. Been on Focal twins + avantones for a couple of years and I know them inside out so I was not in the mood to learn a new monitor. I switched over to them every now and then but did not really give them a shot.

I have attained mastering sessions at some of the best facilities in Europe where they did next to nothing to my mixes so I thought the monitoring situation was under control with the Focals and felt confident about it.

I never really bothered to really give the Pelonis 42 a decent chance and last week when a pile of tracks came in for mixing I thought I'd just give it a go and mix only on the Pelonis boxes.

Problem no 1: I never really found a good placement for the Pelonis monitors because the control room is quite small and the Focal Twins are quite big. So the only place to put the Pelonis is on top of the Twins - which places them too high. The rhomboid shape allows for angling them down but that ended up too low... While experimenting with the placement I found that the angle at which they aim at your ears and thus the sweetspot is quite narrow and thereby extremely important to get right.

So I decided not to give up and started stuffing pieces of felt and rubber under them to change the angle to point down at me from atop the Focals *just right*. The angle at which they are pointing inwards at me is measured at exactly 60 degrees so now they were sitting perfectly.

Homer Simpson moment. Now I see what the fuzz is all about.

I got all excited and listened to reference tracks for an hour to tune in my brain to the Pelonis monitors, went for lunch, got back and started mixing.

6 long days straight and not once did I switch speakers and not once did I touch the volume knob. I picked my usual fairly low, conversation-level monitoring level and let it stay there.

I am totally converted, blown away and down right impressed

- by how amazingly true and accurate they are
- by the transient response
- by the stereo image
- by how easy it is to find and solve problems in the mix with them
- that my ears did not get tired
- by how "linear" they sound. As in no phasing issues.

There is something about this old Tannoy concept with "one point monitoring" that makes so much sense. I'm a believer now. When I finally compared to the Twins after a week of Pelonis I can't believe how weird and phasey the Twins sounded to me. Like my brain was in conflict with what I was hearing. Back to the Pelonis and it was all good again.

The mixes translated better than ever to my references at home and the artist was very happy.

Long post to say I'm an idiot for not switching to the Pelonis sooner. I can't find words for how easy and enjoyable mixing on them was. Never say never but I have a very hard time believing I will mix on anything else from now on. Pelonis is the bomb.

Here's an iPhone pic of the mixing position to illustrate the placement problem and how they finally ended up being. Now I just have to get some foam pieces cut to replace the temporary felt and rubber under them.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Better late than never... Pelonis model 42-pelonis-jellyroad.jpg  
Old 29th November 2012
How was the bass extension? Did you tune them with the built in EQ?
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Well, the low-end dies off pretty quickly below 70Hz but somehow in these particular mixes I thought that was not a problem. In the long run if these were my only speakers I would just check the subs on headphones. Or get the new Pelonis sub tailored to fit! I guess it's a little like mixing on NS-10's when it comes to the low-end.

I have not messed around with the dsp and don't feel the need to.
Old 29th November 2012
I've been thinking about the 4288s for a few months. Its nice to hear a good review--pelonis doesnt get that much attention around here.
Old 29th November 2012
Gear maniac

I'm about two weeks in with my 42's. I agree with the OP on all points.

I have them sitting on the desk in front of me facing up. It's almost like looking into the sound of good headphones if that makes any sense. I did play around with other placements but in my small room, they sounded best there. More low end too it seemed.

I had a regular home stereo sub which I also fired up and time aligned using the 42's DSP which is a brilliantly nice feature though I still check low end on my ATHM50s phones. But even without the sub, it's amazing how great they sound in the low end.

Great to see these things getting some love. If you're into cranking the monitors and feeling the mix hit your chest, these aren't for you, but if you like low level mixing, the detail they provide is stunning. Despite this, I do not find them to sound over-analytical and boring. They are very musical.
Old 29th November 2012
Twins are smeared and phasey in the mids, very forgiving in the high mids and don't strike a great contrast between top mixes/masters and mediocre ones. The bass is slow, unlike the precise bass from sealed boxes.

Before buying our Lipinskis, we tested the twins as everybody was talking about them at that time, but they are no microprecision tools , not brutally revealing and they tend to smooth out problems and piercing sounds, maybe due to their tweeter design...so I would not recommend them.

We had an experiment though, we clogged the ports, and the definition of the mix god way better and the bass became more precise. But hey you don't buy speakers of that price to clog their ports lol

Point source speakers are really superior in terms of mid imaging and precision, so I tend to believe the original poster ...

BUT ... telling me that the bass of a Pelonis(thick rubber surrounds+larger diameter cone+ported design) sounds like the bass of an NS-10(light, smaller cone, sealed enclosure) is utter non sense.
Old 29th November 2012
Gear maniac

The 42s have a much smaller cone than NS-10s actually. I can't speak for the OP, but my impression what that he was generally referring to mixing on bass-light monitors as opposed to inferring the low end of the 42's sound like the lows of NS-10s.
Old 29th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbar View Post
The 42s have a much smaller cone than NS-10s actually. I can't speak for the OP, but my impression what that he was generally referring to mixing on bass-light monitors as opposed to inferring the low end of the 42's sound like the lows of NS-10s.
Oh my word I am sorry, I thought he was talking about the bass of the 4288.

If he was talking about the model 42, then his claims are plausible enough.

I beg your pardon guys, my mistake.
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbar View Post
Yes, exactly!
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Hmm… I was to suggest using something like the IsoAcoustics stands to angle the Model 42's correctly, but now I see that even the smallest ISO-L8R130 that is due in 2013 will probably be too large, causing the unusually-shaped Pelonis to fall through in the middle. Bummer.
Old 1st December 2012
mml
Gear addict

I also highly recommend putting them on your desk facing up at your ears. It seems like a weird (bad) idea until you try it. They sound amazing there. It looks like you might have room directly in front of your Twins. They are an amazing speaker.
Old 1st December 2012
Gear addict

They are unbelievable. I plan to add the sub but my mixes love these.
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear maniac

I absolutely love mine! I'm very excited for the sub to arrive in the mail. I just can't get over how articulate they are. I had this holy #%€£¥ moment a few days ago while I was working on a mix. I felt like I was making progress and like things were getting better but I could still hear tons of flaws in the mix. Feeling distressed I put on my 701 headphones to check my work and was just blown away by how much progress I had made.

I feel like I can always hear what needs improvement when I'm listening through the 42s. I will say that they are not fun for casual listening as they seem to remove a level of polish applied by many other speakers. They just give the information needed to make critical decisions.

I love love love them.
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Let us know how the sub works out for you!
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear interested

I have the model 42s with their matching sub and I am incredibly happy with them. The sub works absolutely perfectly (not surprising) with the mains, it's seamless.
Old 3rd December 2012
Why not 4288 instead of 42 and sub?
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycox View Post
Why not 4288 instead of 42 and sub?
The 4288's may not work as well in smaller rooms, just due to space constraints. It's a large (deep) cabinet, and you need enough separation from nearby walls.

I bought the 4288 system a few months ago and I'm extremely happy with it, for all the reasons mentioned above. I've been using an ancient pair of Westlake BBSM4 nearfields and a sub, and I've been dying for years to get away from a separate sub and use full-range speakers. I'm in a larger edit/mix room now than I was when I got the Westlakes, years ago, and these big speakers wouldn't have worked as well in my old (small) room. They need room to breathe. The compact 42's are easier to fit into a smaller space, or for use in a multi-monitor reference setup.

But if you've got the space and the acoustic control... man, these 4288's with the outboard amp and DSP are a killer speaker system, at a very reasonable price for this market segment.
Old 4th December 2012
Geariophile

How close would you say you could comfortably sit to the 4288?

I keep thinking one could turn them upside down and put them quite high on meterbridge so the dual concentrics are at ear level and the subs up and away from half way height of the room and it should work out even at close range/meterbridge distance, no? Obviously as long as your room is treated enough to swallow the bass.
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Mixing a movie score kind of thing right now with lots of stuff going on in the low-end. 1/8-notes tension building pedal bass and two other basses building harmonies below (!) that + ambient very low freq toms and fx. Stuff that easily becomes a mess if not careful.

Works surprisingly well sorting out that low-end considering the lack of sub.

Still on a Pelonis high! Rest of the week is 70's-meets-today pop music, looking forward to that. Mixing is fun again
Old 4th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
How close would you say you could comfortably sit to the 4288?
Personally, I wouldn't want to be closer than about 4 feet, and I have them right now at about 4.75 feet away. The sweet spot expands a bit with distance, so that's the main reason I wouldn't want them too close. If you can accept a smaller sweet spot, they would probably 'work fine at any distance you could place the smaller model 42's (assuming you have the low frequencies under control).

Quote:
I keep thinking one could turn them upside down and put them quite high on meterbridge so the dual concentrics are at ear level and the subs up and away from half way height of the room and it should work out even at close range/meterbridge distance, no? Obviously as long as your room is treated enough to swallow the bass.
There are no electronics inside the cabinet to worry about cooling/heating with different orientation, so that might work. I guess it's mainly about how much bounce you'd get off the ceiling with the low drivers high enough to be above half-height. You could shoot an email to Pelonis and ask if there are any problems with that idea.
Old 4th December 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldedpath View Post
Personally, I wouldn't want to be closer than about 4 feet, and I have them right now at about 4.75 feet away. The sweet spot expands a bit with distance, so that's the main reason I wouldn't want them too close. If you can accept a smaller sweet spot, they would probably 'work fine at any distance you could place the smaller model 42's (assuming you have the low frequencies under control).

There are no electronics inside the cabinet to worry about cooling/heating with different orientation, so that might work. I guess it's mainly about how much bounce you'd get off the ceiling with the low drivers high enough to be above half-height. You could shoot an email to Pelonis and ask if there are any problems with that idea.
Interesting, thank you! Small sweetspot is fine for me and there's a cloud, so bounce off the ceiling is out. Thank you!
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldedpath View Post
Personally, I wouldn't want to be closer than about 4 feet, and I have them right now at about 4.75 feet away.
I'm at about 4ft+ w the 4288's (upright) and in a small room.

I think it's fair to say that they may be best served with that much room to more fully develop the image.

Still find them to be a very honest tool. Glad to have m!
Old 5th December 2012
Gear maniac

Absolutely in love with mine...had one of the first pairs. Used them on/off with a Tannoy TS-10 for a couple years. Thinking hard about that matching sub, although I've mixed lots without a sub. Amazing for focusing in on vocals.
Old 9th December 2012
Lives for gear

I am very happy with my recent purchase of a Model 42, and I have a pending order for a Model 42LF. The smaller speakers and the ability to turn the sub on and off, not to mention the overall lower price, make the 42/42LF combo a better choice for me than the 4288.

Does anybody have info on why there is such a delay in shipping the Model 42LF? I mean, I will wait as long as it takes, but some folks won't. It is a shame to see a manufacturer run the risk that customers will look elsewhere simply because they can't manufacture the units quickly enough to keep up with demand.
Old 9th December 2012
Gear interested

How do you guys find the lower mids in the Pelonis? I have to work harder when I play mixes on the Pelonis 42's as it seems to fill them out (esp around 200hz). The Frequency response chart shows them as very flat, so i suspect my room, but curious for confirmation.

Great non fatiguing monitors. I'm resting my Ns-10's for now. They were a kind of misery to work on, although they did the job. I'm hoping the model 42's will get similar results but with enjoyable tones !

I have mine on an Isoacoustic stand, raised up off desktop about 5 inches, a firing up towards me, so it really avoids console reflections, and I can 'see' directly into the centre of the cone. I find the highs more airy and detailed than my genelec 1031's around 8k and up, they are very sweet.
Old 9th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix_Tod View Post
I have mine on an Isoacoustic stand, raised up off desktop about 5 inches, a firing up towards me, so it really avoids console reflections, and I can 'see' directly into the centre of the cone. I find the highs more airy and detailed than my genelec 1031's around 8k and up, they are very sweet.
How do you compare the monitor overall with the 1031s? I like mixing on my 1031s but find they dont translate in the mids as well as some other options i've tried.
Old 9th December 2012
Gear Head

how much volume can these little dudes push? are they truly only for low level mixers or can they enter the realm of fun listening sometimes?
Old 9th December 2012
Specs say 106, so not that loud. Similar to the level of an auratone or something similar.
Old 9th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycox View Post
How do you compare the monitor overall with the 1031s? I like mixing on my 1031s but find they dont translate in the mids as well as some other options i've tried.
The Genelecs are known to be forward in the upper mids, quite hard sounding there in comparison to the Pelonis...(i read this too about 1031 "Due to the titanium tweeters you get a slight compressed and exaggerated upper mid and treble.")

i like the combination of the two. So when I switch to Genelecs i hear a bit less air and more upper mids. With the classic Ns10/1031 combo, i found it had to be really tearing your head off in the top end on the NS 10's..just wasn't a lot of fun.

the Volume output of the Model 42 is plenty loud. I have the volume matched with my genelecs so I can switch between. Of course the Genelecs have more low bass, but the Pelonis can go a bit lower than the Ns-10 and is a MUCH better sounding speaker. Like the NS10 I am learning I can spot a flaw in my mix from right across the room with these.

The freq response for Pelonis model 42 is really flat from about 100 all the way up (http://www.pelonissound.com/product1.html) ..very different to the NS 10 which is peaky as hell !
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep0...yamahans10.htm

however , many great mixes done on Ns10's. Worked with Andy Wallace and CLA and they both made damn fine mixes on them.
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

I find it's great to have nearfields to mix on that don't flatter your mixes, but are even "ugly" sounding... like NS10s, because if you can make your mix sound good on them, it'll sound good on anything.

I haven't checked the pelonis in my CR yet, but I really like the KH120a.s because they have that but without the NS10 ear fatigue.

JMHO. YMMV
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search