Login / Register

Better late than never... Pelonis model 42
New Reply
Subscribe
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix_Tod View Post

The freq response for Pelonis model 42 is really flat from about 100 all the way up (Pelonis Sound & Acoustics)
Do you SERIOUSLY believe in this frequency distribution graph ??
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I have nothing against this speaker but it leave me really doubtful.

1st, quite a retail price for something that looks like a speaker screwed to pieces of wood and which doesn't inspire any quality if you know what I mean.

Second, this super-flat frequency graph, which looks too good to be true.

Third, if people want to make really precise speakers, why go for ported designs and all their flaws ?

I highly appreciate the point source design though, and as this speaker is only 4", it will has the potential to deliver very fast bass...I don't know if it's slow to stop though.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Sandstrom View Post
Do you SERIOUSLY believe in this frequency distribution graph ??
the scale is going by tens, so it's +/- a db or two across the board, and smoothed out, more than likely. There's comparable measurements (strictly in terms of amount of deviation from flat response, not in terms of actual frequency response) for similarly priced speakers such as the KH120s:

so yes it is (in my belief) a truthful plot, just not as detailed as one might like, and perhaps somewhat misleading. All testimonials seem to be positive though. My biggest questions would be about how they are fitting 4 channels of power amp, AD/DA and DSP into a single rack space without cutting corners there. I'm thinking I might get a pair to try in January, because if they are up to pace with what people are saying, this is exactly what I've been looking for.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeshoppe View Post
so yes it is (in my belief) a truthful plot, just not as detailed as one might like, and perhaps somewhat misleading. All testimonials seem to be positive though. My biggest questions would be about how they are fitting 4 channels of power amp, AD/DA and DSP into a single rack space without cutting corners there. I'm thinking I might get a pair to try in January, because if they are up to pace with what people are saying, this is exactly what I've been looking for.
Its not a big amp and AD/DA, DSP don't really take much room. An iphone has DA/AD and a processor in it .
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Gear maniac

I'm running mine along side my KH O300s.

Those 2 monitors sound similar freq response wise, especially when i run my O810 sub with the 42s. One thing I will note: I do audio post, and sometimes I'll de-noise some dialog and not hear any artifacts on the 42s, but will hear them on the O300s.

42s are about 4ft away, O300s are about 6 ft away.

42s = less than 1K.
O300's $3800pr in 2008.

Last edited by Actualsizeaudio; 13th December 2012 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: This was meant for another thread
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycox View Post
Its not a big amp and AD/DA, DSP don't really take much room. An iphone has DA/AD and a processor in it .
Class D amps do not take up a ton of room. The mini dsp boards, which might be similar to what is in there, are also small. I don't see the 1 rack space as a limitation to quality.
gainreduction
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

We have the sub in for evaluation now, I'll be back with a report.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to nosebleedaudio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeshoppe View Post
the scale is going by tens, so it's +/- a db or two across the board, and smoothed out, more than likely. There's comparable measurements (strictly in terms of amount of deviation from flat response, not in terms of actual frequency response) for similarly priced speakers such as the KH120s:

These are part of a "System" including the amp and Eq.
A studio down the road has a pair, he likes them...

No doubt NO speaker could be that flat..at least I have not seen one...
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

After some delays caused by Pelonis wanting to upgrade the products a bit (can't fault him for that), my Model 42LF is on its way to me. I look forward to using it with my already very impressive Model 42 system.

Those of you who have been waiting for a Model 42LF to be delivered, you might want to contact your retailer. There was some miscommunication between my retailer and the distributor that led the retailer to think that the Model 42LF was being discontinued. That, of course, was not the case; the product was being upgraded, not discontinued. However, the retailer misunderstood, which caused some confusion.

Bottom line: Pelonis is now shipping the improved Model 42LF, but the marketing and inventory information at the retailer level my not be up to date, so if you want one, you might have to talk to a human being.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

Post a review of the sub if you have a chance!
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

I have been using the 42s with a pair of subs for a few months now, and I find that mixing translates well. The mids and mid bass are really well defined and the imaging is excellent. I replaced a pair of DynAudio Air 15s and sub and haven't looked back. However, if anyone is thinking of buying speakers based on graphs or recommendations that is just plain silly.
I was working with another engineer that didn't like them, there may not be for everyone. I have yet to find a speaker system that pleases everyone.
They are a great value and if space is a consideration they offer a good solution to the problem. If you are in the market for a good small monitor you should at least put them on the list to listen to.

Steve
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix_Tod View Post
Post a review of the sub if you have a chance!
I received my Model 42LF MKII yesterday and set it up last night. I had to spend some time today on placement.

For the time being, I am placing it dead center, on a Gramma-cushioned platform above my computer screen, so that it is the same distance from my head as each of the Model 42 speakers, which are already placed in the proper equalateral triangle position. I have it angled down so that it fires right at my head. I am trying to make sure that I don't have the lower frequencies hitting me earlier or later than the mids and highs do.

I am using an SPL 2Control to split the signal; this way, I can turn the sub on and off with one button and no delay at all.

So far, everything sounds great! It's not excessively boomy, but I can hear and feel the lows very well on familiar material.

If you have a Model 42, I think this is a pretty important addition. There is a lot going on below 70 Hz, and you aren't going to hear it without the sub.

For example, I am currently listening to Otis Redding's version of "A Change is Gonna Come." Toggling between the sub being on and off, I can hear the bass guitar both ways (meaning it was well mixed back in the day to work on all systems), but it is way more prominent with the sub on.

Keb' Mo's "Rita" just came on. Same situation, but with more lows (being a more modern recording and geared for wider frequency range systems). It seems to have been mixed well, because I can hear the bass guitar and kick drum both ways (sub on and off), but they are both way more prominent with the sub on. Not overwhelming, but just more. I can both hear them and feel them.

Van Morrison's "Days Like This" just came on. Same deal, but even a larger difference regarding the kick drum. It is actually hard to hear without the sub on. I mean, I can hear that something is there, but it is not a kick drum unless I turn on the sub.

More critical analysis of how well mixes will translate will take time and a lot more listening. For now, I am very impressed, and very glad I bought the sub.
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for the insight !
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear maniac

I've had the Model 42LF sub for several months and LOVE it and the additional information it brings; I wonder what the changes are for the MKII model!
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear maniac

I've gotten my 42lf mk2 now and am really happy to have it. Out of the box it was set on +3. I think in my room (crappy not treated) it works best at -7.

I agree with most everything don said. It's also interesting to hear some are choosing unusual setups for their sub. I might be crazy but currently I have mine firing up into the air and the mains delayed a few ms.

I should mention again that my room is bogus. Still though I finally feel like I have the information I need to make critical decisions.
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

I've had my Pelonis Model 42's for about 4 months, and my matching Model 42LF for about a month. I love having the sub, because I miss nothing at low volumes. The crazy thing that I don't have to turn the sub up or down depending on the volume I listen at. The perceived frequency response remains about the same at all volumes, and no eq is being changed. Anyone know the reason for this?
Love the parametric and shelf eq's: 1 High pass, 1 Low Pass, 3 parametric. My room has a spike at 125. Sliced it right out of there. Little 1 db dip at 1.5k, Q=2.
11th January 2013
Old 11th January 2013
Gear addict

I find this sooo confusing. Has anyone heard these at VKLA? I heard them there and they sounded god awful.

I am in shock with the OP's 'review'.
12th January 2013
Old 12th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieur x View Post
I find this sooo confusing. Has anyone heard these at VKLA? I heard them there and they sounded god awful.

I am in shock with the OP's 'review'.
Interesting I heard one or two people say that these are not to their personal preference but you're the first person I've heard say they were awful. Maybe there is something up with the setup at vkla, though I'd hope not isn't that shoppe supposed to be amazing? At least the pics of vkla look amazing.

I still love my 42s and sub.
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

I've had a pair of these for a month now, and have used them on a couple of mixes. My impressions:

The Pelonis Model 42 has incredible midrange and treble detail, almost up in ATC territory. It would be very interesting to do a shootout between the Model 42 and the ATC SCM20ASL Pro! The ATC has more bass energy according to spec, but the Pelonis has a significant price advantage.

The sweet spot is very wide, provided that the speakers are positioned at nearfield listening distances. I have mine spaced 1.2m apart. It was difficult to place them vertically on top of the IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155, as only three of four corners could fit the parallelogram shape. Hopefully the ISO-L8R130 will fit better if it should become available.

I find the bass definition below 120Hz to be below average. It was really strange: I had this problem where the piano and bass collided at 80-85Hz, and my PSI monitors complained immediately, pointing out the problem to me. On the other hand, the Model 42 presented the overtones of the piano and bass as two completely separate sound sources – there was much better separation than the PSI monitors provided, but I heard no collision problem at all in the fundamental frequencies. I know that bass is not their strong point, but I was nevertheless surprised that they didn't reveal the problem.

But perhaps the most peculiar characteristic of the Model 42 is how they present dynamics, such as judging compressor attack and release settings. There is so much detail in the sound stage that hardly any setting seems wrong, only different. Yes, it becomes obvious when the release is too long or you when have serious sidechain pumping effects going on, but it's as if the soft parts of the signal appear closer to the loud parts than on most other speakers. Actually, this is very similar to how I feel when mixing on headphones, which also make you zoom in on the soft details so much that it is sometimes hard to judge the dynamics. The other consequence of this behavior is that I feel that I have to turn the volume up when judging dynamics, instead of turning the volume down which I'm used to doing with all other studio monitors that I know. So with my PSI's I do most of my mixing comfortably at around 75dBA, while the Pelonis force me more into 85dBA territory for some reason.

All in all though, these are among the most detailed nearfields that I have heard, no matter what price. Still, I would recommend that you use another pair of monitors in addition to these, as the Model 42s are very peculiar.
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjelmevold View Post
I find the bass definition below 120Hz to be below average. It was really strange: I had this problem where the piano and bass collided at 80-85Hz, and my PSI monitors complained immediately, pointing out the problem to me. On the other hand, the Model 42 presented the overtones of the piano and bass as two completely separate sound sources – there was much better separation than the PSI monitors provided, but I heard no collision problem at all in the fundamental frequencies. I know that bass is not their strong point, but I was nevertheless surprised that they didn't reveal the problem.

But perhaps the most peculiar characteristic of the Model 42 is how they present dynamics, such as judging compressor attack and release settings. There is so much detail in the sound stage that hardly any setting seems wrong, only different. Yes, it becomes obvious when the release is too long or you when have serious sidechain pumping effects going on, but it's as if the soft parts of the signal appear closer to the loud parts than on most other speakers. Actually, this is very similar to how I feel when mixing on headphones, which also make you zoom in on the soft details so much that it is sometimes hard to judge the dynamics. The other consequence of this behavior is that I feel that I have to turn the volume up when judging dynamics, instead of turning the volume down which I'm used to doing with all other studio monitors that I know. So with my PSI's I do most of my mixing comfortably at around 75dBA, while the Pelonis force me more into 85dBA territory for some reason.

All in all though, these are among the most detailed nearfields that I have heard, no matter what price. Still, I would recommend that you use another pair of monitors in addition to these, as the Model 42s are very peculiar.
This perfectly describes what I mean when I say one monitor "points at the problem and suggests the solution to you" whereas another may give you a bucketload of detail information but tell you nothing useful whatsoever about what might be good to do with it. Not many speakers do the " point and tell you what to do" trick. NS10's do, which is part of why they were/are so popular. PSI do, too.
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
This perfectly describes what I mean when I say one monitor "points at the problem and suggests the solution to you" whereas another may give you a bucketload of detail information but tell you nothing useful whatsoever about what might be good to to with it. Not many speakers do the " point and tell you what to do" trick. NS10's do, which is part of why they were/are so popular. PSI do, too.
Interesting point, thanks for that insight.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:

I find this very interesting.
I have the 42s as well and love them. I use them with a sub (though not the Pelonis model), and I find having that low end allows me to run them at a lowish level (usually around 75-80dB) where I can still hear/feel what's going on, and adjust dynamics accordingly. I felt the same when I first heard my NS10s with a sub. Without the sub, I'd find myself turning things up louder in order to feel how the mix was moving.

For me, hearing more of the low end is a big part of showing me how the song is moving and therefore helps me make better decisions when it comes to setting compressors. If my home setup allowed me to have larger, more full range monitors that would be great. But I'm thrilled at the quality I'm hearing coming out of the 42s, and the sub makes a big difference. I do agree though that they may not be everyone's cup of tea as a primary or only monitor.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Anyone using the EQ on the model 42's? I have removed 7 DB of 120hz with a Q of 20 due to my small studio's large bump there, and -2 DB at 1320hz with a Q of 4.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

Another minor gripe I have with the Model 42:

The speaker cables make it difficult to set up the speakers quickly. And I'm not just referring to twisting the 16 connectors until they fit, but you also have the mental exercise of keeping track of the polarity, and avoid connecting to the wrong speaker element. As a result, the longer setup time makes the Model 42 less attractive for bringing along to any remote location jobs, which is a shame, given their otherwise suitable size and weight. Wouldn't it have been more practical for Pelonis to use something like a 4-pole speakon connector between each Model 42 and the amp?

I admit that I know next to nothing about speakon connectors and other live sound gear, so I welcome any live sound engineers to point out the flaws in my reasoning above.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

If this is something that slows you down, how about this: using 4 conductor wire, attach a short tail to each speaker and to each side of the amp, each tail getting a 4 conductor connector, then use 4 conductor speaker cables with matching connectors to hook everything together once you get where you are going.

Whether you move around or stay put, some decent 4 conductor cable is the way to go with a Model 42. That and labels will keep everything tidy and easy.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

Good idea, doncaparker!

Labeling each of the wires is probably the first and most obvious thing I should do!
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Labeling each of the wires is probably the first and most obvious thing I should do!
Yeah, good labels and some 4 conductor cable made a big difference for me when I was setting everything up. I have become a bit of a zealot when it comes to labeling and running cable. There are so many freaking wires back behind my desk, I don't know how I got along without good labels.
7th February 2014
Old 7th February 2014
Gear nut

I just discovered these at a studio I was tracking at here in L.A. ... and was blown away. The engineer told me that he uses them far more than the large Focals he had because they translate so well and have 3d-like precise imaging. So, I thought about for a week then had GAS and bought them. Already I know that they will be my main mixing monitors (I also have powered Dynaudios w/a sub, and Avantones). For sub-70hz low end I will of course check mixes on the Dynaudios, or I might attach a sub at some point. For low level mixing like I do they are truly a wonder for me, personally. They do require careful setup as far as positioning, but it's worth it. Highly, highly, highly recommended. They're a nice little secret!
7th February 2014
Old 7th February 2014
Lives for gear

The combination of the Model 42 pair and the Model 42LF subwoofer is very cool, and I highly recommend it as a total system.
mml
8th February 2014
Old 8th February 2014
mml
Gear addict

Hi Noah- Matt here. Glad I could turn you on to these. I use them for mixing about 50/50 with the focals. They compliment each other nicely. The midrange and imaging is awesome. Can't wait to hear and/or work on your stuff again! Noah is a kick ass drummer for anyone needing some sick chops on their record.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search