Old Harrison Broadcast Console
BFrederick
17th August 2013
Old 17th August 2013
Gear addict

I guess its just a bit strange to me when I'm able to find the SSL 9000j manual online FOR FREE.. and that bad boy was damn near a million dollars when it came out. Not only that.. but its come out in much more recent times than the old broadcast console I'm trying to restore.
BFrederick
30th December 2013
Old 30th December 2013
Gear addict

So I dropped the $600 on the manual.. and I still have a few questions I'm hoping Gary can answer for me.

Just a little bit about my Pro 7. Its a 16/4/2.. 16 mono m/l channels and 4 groups.
the manual refers to as a P-2 style. I received the console as a gift with the warning that it hadn't been turned on in the 10 years they had it.

I sent it to a tech who re-capped the whole console and fixed the faulty power supply for me. That process took a year. I'm really excited to hear how this console sounds after all the work thats been done.. I still haven't heard the dang thing.

The question..
- does this console not have direct outputs per channel? The only way I can see to get signal out is via the group assignments or aux sends or all summed together out the stereo buss. At best I only get 8 outputs via the group matrix.. is that correct?

I originally thought this was a typical console, but after finally getting my hands on the manual and reading through the logic system and signal flow I'm realizing that this is a much different beast than I initially thought.

Thanks for your time Gary.
31st December 2013
Old 31st December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFrederick View Post
So I dropped the $600 on the manual.. and I still have a few questions I'm hoping Gary can answer for me.

Just a little bit about my Pro 7. Its a 16/4/2.. 16 mono m/l channels and 4 groups.
the manual refers to as a P-2 style. I received the console as a gift with the warning that it hadn't been turned on in the 10 years they had it.

I sent it to a tech who re-capped the whole console and fixed the faulty power supply for me. That process took a year. I'm really excited to hear how this console sounds after all the work thats been done.. I still haven't heard the dang thing.

The question..
- does this console not have direct outputs per channel? The only way I can see to get signal out is via the group assignments or aux sends or all summed together out the stereo buss. At best I only get 8 outputs via the group matrix.. is that correct?

I originally thought this was a typical console, but after finally getting my hands on the manual and reading through the logic system and signal flow I'm realizing that this is a much different beast than I initially thought.

Thanks for your time Gary.
I don't think so, like I said I gathered enough info over the net to get me going a few years ago, some paperwork was included. I have managed to get 10 channels from the console, maybe 11, I think it goes up to 24 not sure, I just have not been able to fine them yet on my own.... your connectors ?? mine are Tuchel which I love, I have saw other MR3s just soldered right to the console...ouch I would not like that. I have a MR3 and a TV3 and they are made the same. Everyone is different, I have 72 channels worth of input using or laying around, 2 PSUs, 2 monitor modules, 2 communications, and only 1 main, I am hoping to find another somewhere someday dead or alive.
Do you have the selector switches beside the faders 0-9 ?
1st January 2014
Old 1st January 2014
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

hey, how's the pro 7?
i love my MR2!
BFrederick
1st January 2014
Old 1st January 2014
Gear addict

Well.. I'm still waiting on support from Harrison to clarify a few things before it's up and running.
BFrederick
3rd March 2014
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear addict

Guys!!! The day draws near! I'm looking around for a tech I can trust to wire the Harrison up and then I'll be rocking and rolling! I grabbed a Native Card and a Digi 192 with 16 in and 8 out.. perfect for the 16 channel, 4 group layout of my Harrison. I've been living the manual for the past month and a half and I gotta say.. Despite my belly aching and b*tching and moaning.. its worth every penny. Do I wish it was free? Yes. Is there anything in this world I wish wasn't? Not really.

Can't wait to hear the lil beast in action soon!
3rd March 2014
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Thielman View Post
It’s pretty simple really…

Because by providing a place (every day for the last 40 years), that the occasional person can call and by providing live people on the other end of the phone, who actually know what they are doing, that have direct access to 10-20-30-40 year old documentation which in most cases is exactly what is needed, who can find it, organize it, have it printed, build it and get it to you in a relatively short period of time, all should answer the question.

Believe me 30 year old manual orders are not a cash cow. These manuals are large, not in electronic form and very difficult to reproduce. It would have been much easier and a lot more cost effective to simply chuck that giant mess at almost any point along the way and stop providing this service. But, when you have been part of a rich company history for the last 30 years like I and a lot of the people around here have been, it’s really hard (impossible actually) to make that call.

So, we will continue to offer everything we have for those who are interested because it's a good thing to do. The price/s will simply be what they have to be in order to be able to keep offering it.

Gary
3rd March 2014
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Guys!!! The day draws near! I'm looking around for a tech I can trust to wire the Harrison up and then I'll be rocking and rolling! I grabbed a Native Card and a Digi 192 with 16 in and 8 out.. perfect for the 16 channel, 4 group layout of my Harrison. I've been living the manual for the past month and a half and I gotta say.. Despite my belly aching and b*tching and moaning.. its worth every penny. Do I wish it was free? Yes. Is there anything in this world I wish wasn't? Not really.

Can't wait to hear the lil beast in action soon!
nice one. let us know how you get on and maybe post a pic!
3rd March 2014
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear addict

My Studio

I know my Harrison 2824 was highly modified from the factory as these consoles were made to order. The manual I have had pages of addendum's detailing the modifications to the console and how it operated from the original design. I would think even if Harrison offered a "generic" manual for a product it still may not solve your problem. I know that would have been the case with mine. Keep in mind, the manual isnt just a operation guide. its also giant fold out schematics and my personal favorite, layout sheets that are the same size as the module, these proved to be invaluable when working on the console with my tech. In fact, most of my manual is large sheets of paper that are very tricky to scan. Order the manual, When I emailed Harrison with the serial number of my console, Gary replied personally, and shared alot of insight with me. They have documents on every console they ever made. I bet the space that takes up costs Harrison $600 a month just to house it. I know its alot of money.. but in the end.. its a Freakin Harrison Baby! get the manual.. you be glad you did.
BFrederick
6th March 2014
Old 6th March 2014
Gear addict

Countrymetalguy, I wish I could say the same for my Manual. Its not as kick ass fold out awesome as yours. Its about 200 pages of 8.5"x11" hole punched into a 3 ring binder.. but the info inside is all that matters.

Now I just gotta find a Molex supplier..
7th March 2014
Old 7th March 2014
Gear addict

My Studio

What type of molex are you looking for? Desoldering mine and cleaning them in PGA and then using stabelant 22 on reassembly to the fet cards made a HUGE difference for me.
14th April 2014
Old 14th April 2014
Gear interested

Does anyone have a photo of this Harrison PRO-7? I'm trying to ID mine...
15th April 2014
Old 15th April 2014
Gear maniac

Wow. Amazed how many want to steal this information.

If you have not heard, you can get all the music you want for FREE too!
:(

D
15th April 2014
Old 15th April 2014
Gear interested

Are you talking to me? I want an actual photo of the console, not the schematic or something... I really have an old Harrison that I think is a PRO-7. I would like to verify.
15th April 2014
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

Congrats on getting your Harrison console ready to go. Please post pics. Thank you.
15th April 2014
Old 15th April 2014
Gear maniac

Quote:
well.. all of this does little to relieve the fact that I'm paying $600 for a manual that exists on simple regular 8.5''x11'' sheets of paper and would take all of 25 minutes down at the local KINKOS to photocopy.

All I want to know is how to wire these Molex connectors to my Patchbays. Thats it.
Then why not phone Harrison support and just get a copy of the sheets you actually need?

Cheers

Ian
15th April 2014
Old 15th April 2014
Gear Head

Old Harrison Broadcast Console-pro-7.jpg
16th April 2014
Old 16th April 2014
Lives for gear

Gary,
I think I have seen black ones as well!

And as a Broadcast mixer I imagine that they were far more standard so the manual was shall we say more of a publication than a one off its self .
BFrederick
16th April 2014
Old 16th April 2014
Gear addict

I think the black one is the MR-2.. I might be mistaken though. (probably am.. I'm wrong a lot)
BFrederick
16th April 2014
Old 16th April 2014
Gear addict

ruffrecords, I tried that. Harrison requires you purchase the whole manual. they won't photocopy or scan specific pages for you.. or at least.. not for me.
16th April 2014
Old 16th April 2014
Gear interested

Mine looks a lot like that, but it's missing the meter bridge looking thing....
13th July 2014
Old 13th July 2014
Gear nut

Sorry to ressurect an old thread. I just got a Harrison TV3 and I am having trouble figuring out the signal flow. It has 5 tuchel brackets on the back with labeling and on the 5th bracket the labelling is all worn off. For some reason I can't seem to figure out where to connect the monitors. The schematic sheet I have is torn and worn away so I'm not sure where they hookup. Any help?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search