New Reply
Subscribe
rcd
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear Head

Avid Omni linked to Digi192?

I'm running PT HD 8.1 on Window 7.
Will an Avid HD Omni link to a Digi 192 seemlessly? For mixing I need more Analog i/o and the Omni pre's will also come in handy.

All the Converter options on the Omni have me confused...How many channels will I be able to run outboard gear through the Omni when mixing? From what I can tell it's 4, but I need to make sure that's right. Also I want to monitor through the Omni, so can I get 4 analog i/o's and 2 monitor outs with Omni?

Any other opinions on getting the omni? It seems a lot of people re-sell them which makes me wonder...

Thanks,
Rich
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd View Post
I'm running PT HD 8.1 on Window 7.
Will an Avid HD Omni link to a Digi 192 seemlessly? For mixing I need more Analog i/o and the Omni pre's will also come in handy.

All the Converter options on the Omni have me confused...How many channels will I be able to run outboard gear through the Omni when mixing? From what I can tell it's 4, but I need to make sure that's right. Also I want to monitor through the Omni, so can I get 4 analog i/o's and 2 monitor outs with Omni?

Any other opinions on getting the omni? It seems a lot of people re-sell them which makes me wonder...

Thanks,
Rich
Omni is 4 in 8 out, expandable to 8io, so yes you can do 4 channels of analogue io plus monitoring.

And yes - it'll combine with a 192 just fine.

If I've ever helped you with a technical problem or provided you with advice you found useful, you can more than repay me by checking out, and maybe buying a couple of songs, by a singer I'm working closely with. It would be much appreciated!

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/preorder/...an/id513648911

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Robert-Ha...robert+hardman

</Shameless Plug>
rcd
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear Head

Can anyone chime in about timing issues with linking an Omni w/ digi 192? If they are both independently processing the signal (converting) then it does seem to me things could get misaligned being that the newer Avid HD's do faster conversion.
Any opinions please?

Thanks in advance for taking the time.
Rich
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

You set the processing delay channel by channel in the hardware setup, so you need to find that number out for all inputs in the two boxes and set it once - then forget about it and make sweet music. The number is not the same for the 8 analog and the 8 digital inputs in the 192.

www.worldstudios.se
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd View Post
Can anyone chime in about timing issues with linking an Omni w/ digi 192? If they are both independently processing the signal (converting) then it does seem to me things could get misaligned being that the newer Avid HD's do faster conversion.
Any opinions please?

Thanks in advance for taking the time.
Rich
A few samples difference between converters isn't going to make or break anything. The only time you should be aware of it is when you're splitting a multimiked source across 2 converters. Otherwise - no problems at all. Your bass player won't be within 4 samples of the kick anyway, so another 4 samples difference won't make a difference.
rcd
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear Head

21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

Great. All you need now is to find out the exact figures for each interface and type of I/O.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search