I need serious help how to connect and manage my analog signals in my studio
New Reply
Subscribe
Immersion
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

I need serious help how to connect and manage my analog signals in my studio

I am building a studio problem is here I have zero knowledge about analog recording, I know nothing about what is a good pre amp what is a bad one, I do not know anything about microphones etc.

Anyway I have a huge problem to decide have to connect all my analog inputs.

SSL nucleus seem to be a good solution, but I am worried of some of the limitations, such as limited amount of inputs.

Not sure how many inputs I will need in the future, but I guess

Guitar and bass 1 input, and micrphone 1-2 inputs, and synths 2 inputs, drums 1 input

My motto regarding amount of inputs is still for me quality before quantity so I do not need absurd amount of inputs I rather have fewer and better sound.

The other alternative is to buy a pre amo and all nuclues functionality and daw controller etc separately.
what pre amp should I buy then, please keep in mind this is a high end sutdio but still on limited budget.

Other solutions would be to buy a smaller SSL mixer and a daw controller separately.
The question is does the smaller ssl mixers with few inputs have good pre amps ? Same quality as SSL Nucleus ?

Eventide H8000FW will be the heart in my studio almost all sound will be processed through there.

my speakers are Trident HG3
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immersion View Post
I am building a studio problem is here I have zero knowledge about analog recording, I know nothing about what is a good pre amp what is a bad one, I do not know anything about microphones etc.

Anyway I have a huge problem to decide have to connect all my analog inputs.

SSL nucleus seem to be a good solution, but I am worried of some of the limitations, such as limited amount of inputs.

Not sure how many inputs I will need in the future, but I guess

Guitar and bass 1 input, and micrphone 1-2 inputs, and synths 2 inputs, drums 1 input

My motto regarding amount of inputs is still for me quality before quantity so I do not need absurd amount of inputs I rather have fewer and better sound.

The other alternative is to buy a pre amo and all nuclues functionality and daw controller etc separately.
what pre amp should I buy then, please keep in mind this is a high end sutdio but still on limited budget.

Other solutions would be to buy a smaller SSL mixer and a daw controller separately.
The question is does the smaller ssl mixers with few inputs have good pre amps ? Same quality as SSL Nucleus ?

Eventide H8000FW will be the heart in my studio almost all sound will be processed through there.

my speakers are Trident HG3
You will need lots of ins and outs to connect inserts for analogue tools like compressors and outboard EQ to avoid printing these decisions before the mix.
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

I don't want to be rude, but why are you starting a studio if you have no idea about recording? How you been mainly working as a mixer up until now? ( I see you have been a member for a while, and have posted quite a bit before.)

I'm not going to list any specific gear that you will need, but just say that you will need 16-24 input to track a band so pre amps for them, a couple of compressers to keep things under control on the way in.

How will you be mixing? If most of it will be in the box you could get away with out having a console and just setting all your DAW outputs to a stereo mix and monitoring straight out the interface.
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immersion View Post
You need to hire a consultant.
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

I know I said I wouldn't suggest specifics, but if you got a DAV BG8, an api 3124 and Wudar audio PAfour you would have 16 really high quality pre amps for about 10k with a good range of flavours to choose from.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search