Old 19th November 2012
Gear Head

U87 Problems

I picked up a U87 ai a while back and I have had problems with ever since. It seems dull on the high end and seems to have a bump in the low mids. I havent found a voice that I REALLY like it on and on acoustic instruments I much prefer my cheaper mics. Does it sound like it needs a service? Or is this just the character of the mic?
Old 20th November 2012
Gear nut

These problems commonly occur when the capsule is dirty (dust and smoke exposure).
You can clean the capsule, but it is a very delicate process that requires a lot of experience. I DO NOT RECOMMEND.

You may need replace the capsule.
Best Regards
Old 20th November 2012
Gear nut

If blowing right on the capsule sound randomly disappears, as if you were removing phantom,
your capsule needs a careful cleaning!
Old 20th November 2012
Not vintage? Burn it.

Blowing on the capsule does not do anything. You need to perform a humidity test. The way you do this is the same way you would put moisture on your glasses to clean them, or the same way you fog up a window. Its not blowing, its like a "hoahhh". The moisture from your throat will come out. Immediately after you do so you will either notice- A. there is significantly less volume, B. it makes a sputter noise and cuts out, C. both.

Either A, B, or C, you are due for a reskin.

However, it does not sound too much like a capsule issue to me anyways, but its worth a shot.

Good Luck!
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Back in the seventies when I worked for Polydor studio 2 as a tape OP we were not quite so precious about cleaning capsules.
Now I am not recommending this but what we used to do was.
Unscrew the body, lift the side clips, pull the head off and undo the centre screw just enough to tilt the capsule to one side so you can release the switch body and then.
Having the wobbly capsule and switch body, go to the sink and run the cold tap very gently
Just enough so it doesn't drip put some fairly liquid on your left hand direct the water from the slow running tap to run over your detergent laced finger on to one face of the capsule and across it at an angle. Don't touch the capsule just let the water flow onto it and off it both sides.
Reassemble the mic and put it on top of the desk power supply, that would dry it off ready for the next day.
This is what I was taught to do. We didn't keep sending them back to rapier and wayman for them to do exactly that. We had work to get on with in those days.
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sei046 View Post
I picked up a U87 ai a while back and I have had problems with ever since. It seems dull on the high end and seems to have a bump in the low mids. I havent found a voice that I REALLY like it on and on acoustic instruments I much prefer my cheaper mics. Does it sound like it needs a service? Or is this just the character of the mic?
I would first bring it to a store to compare it to a new U87ai.
Befor the mod I found my u87ai a bit dull/harsh also.
Old 20th November 2012
Gear nut

If you need a Reskin, there are many options in USA. I recommend Thiersch in Germany. I personally know their services and are excellent.

Look here:
Thiersch Elektroakustik
Old 20th November 2012
Gear nut

You can send a Email to post@thiersch-mic.de and they will give you all the options to repair your capsule.
Old 21st November 2012
how close are you on this mic? try moving back and see if it's brighter.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search