Old 18th July 2006
Banned

Neumann KM56 uses

Just came up on a pair of vintage Nuemann/Telefunken KM56's. I think i'm going to try them on overheads... What other uses might I find these good for?
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

I have a pair as well and they are my absolute favorite mics. Besides overheads (on which they are amazing!) try them on acoustic guitars, snare drum (if you can take the risk of it being hit...yikes) as well as vocals. My personal favorite use is as a M/S pair. I've never heard a better M/S recording than with these mics. I just love those little babies to death!
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

Got a pair here too.

Acoustic instruments like guitar, banjo, mandolin. Killer on some female vocals.
Can't even imagine letting mine go near a snare drum.

Sometimes they are cool on piano.

Sometimes use one as the neck mic on stand up bass. Tried it suspended in the bridge and it didn't do it for me.
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

The only time I have used KM56 is at Sear Sound in NYC. Drum oh, bass mic (acoustic) and on tenor saxophone. I wish I had a few myself.
Old 18th July 2006
Gear addict

hi

wicked on o/heads, acoustic guitar, piano etc.

i too wish i could get my hands on half a dozen or so

cheers ramjet
Old 18th July 2006
Banned

Just curious, what's a good price to pay for a pair?
Old 18th July 2006
Gear addict

hi

in aussie have seen km54's for sale as a pair in great nick for $6000-$7000

i would assume that km56's would go for a similiar price

cheers ramjet
Old 18th July 2006
As far as I know the KM 56 has a gold capsule while the KM 54 has a nickel capsule.
The KM 56 sports a switchable multi-pattern (cardioid/Fig-8/omni) while the 54 is cardioid only.

I'm very interested in these mics as well, aound-wise what's the difference between the 54 and the 56? Especially for OHs and acoustic guitar?
Old 18th July 2006
member no 666

The KM-56 employs nickel diaphragms which are very difficult to obtain. If you need a replacement KM-56 head, I have one. It is "new old stock" still in the original box, never installed. You can email me at Fletcher@mercenary.com if you're interested in this part.

I think you'll find the mics to be wonderfully clear, and exceptionally deep sounding. I have used them everywhere from vocals to acoustic guitars to one of two mics employed to record a drum kit. I've used them on loud guitar and bass amps as well as for strings, congas and pianos. A wonderfully diverse microphone with a sense of space and dimension rarely found in any microphone at any price.

Best of luck with it.
Old 18th July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
I think you'll find the mics to be wonderfully clear, and exceptionally deep sounding. I have used them everywhere from vocals to acoustic guitars to one of two mics employed to record a drum kit.
So all things considered, would you recommend a KM56 over a 54 if the goal is primarily single-micing acoustic guitars/mandolin/dobro/etc?
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

Hi,

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone used both a KM56 and a Gefell M295 (also a nickel diaphragm)? I know it's probably apples and oranges, but any similarities which could be attributable to the nickel diaphragm? I've never used a KM56, but do own an M295, and like it a lot.

TIA,
-O.9
Old 18th July 2006
member no 666

For the most part, the 54 is a single pattern 56 and the Schoeps M-221b is indistinguishable from the KM-56 from my experience. All employ an amplifier based around an AC-701/k tube, all employ nickel diaphragms, all have pretty much the same head grill assembly [though there is one version of the KM-56 head that changes patterns acousticly rather than electronicly].

As for the M-295... for my purposes it's "close enough for rock and roll". I don't have to worry about replacing a $750- tube and I know I can get a new membrane for the microphone should I require one. They're a bit clearer sounding than their tube counterparts, in some ways not quite as deep sounding... but overall, I'm more than happy with my M-295's and feel zero compulsion to ever own a KM-56 again [unless one fell into my lap for pretty close to zero dollars].
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

I use a pair of KM56, great mics for a lot of applications if the source isn't too bright. The KM56/256 in cardiode and the KM54/254 are pretty close soundwise. I think the price raised recently. Here I've found some for sale.

Andreas
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search