My new workstation.
New Reply
Subscribe
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
My favorite "DI" box is an Avalon 737 using its "Instrument input". Really, I like it better than their U5, I tried the Reddi and it sounds good, but there is something about the Avalob 737 that I like.

Best regards.

delcosmos.

Agreed. You do know the 737 gets no respect here on GS (with the exception of myself and a handful) but now that you like it, I`m sure it`ll pick up speed.

You don`t need any more gear, you need to re-write the chorus.
delcosmos
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgefilemon View Post
hey Delcosmos!!! looks amazing over there!, do you offer studio time?? rates/h, info??? ... just need it for recording vocals over some tracks.
let me know,
Nice Eddie Van halen guitar!
cheers!
Hello! Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) the studio is not open for rent. The calendar is full with my own projects.

Said that, next year we will open a new facility for rent.

Best regards.

Delcosmos.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post

Agreed. You do know the 737 gets no respect here on GS (with the exception of myself and a handful) but now that you like it, I`m sure it`ll pick up speed.
People don't forget success! Ja ja ja.
I use mine exclusively for DI bass recording. Its just perfect!

Best regards.

Delcosmos.
delcosmos
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012

High End Workstation MKII,

You were right guys, weighted keys are better

I also added my trusty AKG 452 for Acoustic guitar tracking and a nice ipad mini for different music apps.

I'm loving this set up!

Happy new year everyone!

delcosmos.

Attached Thumbnails
My new workstation.-img_3755.jpg   My new workstation.-img_3752.jpg  
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear nut

Looks awesome!

Whats this thing?

EDIT: Haha! I clicked on that Kemper thread right after posing this and had to google it. To those who don't know, it's a Kemper profiling amp
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

Feliz año nuevo Armando y que tu próximo lustro sea tan fructífero como lo ha sido el último.

Regarding your newer setup.. I'm not so sure. Because you're mixing two workspaces: composing/arranging and engineering.

Sure you've seen how guys with big setups like PGabriel, MassiveAttack, MikeOldfield... etc have always separated those workspaces, which have completely different workflows and requirements.

Composing is IMO for trying out ideas and should allow for (constant) quick changes. Keyboard, mouse, and DAW controller on hand is always handy, as it is to have some small but functional mixer, as a Tonelux, X-Desk/Panda, Cadac Live1.. etc, with some pres, synths and fx always patched in and ready to run.
But you're using a 4K for the mixer instead (!), which is a huge PITA to reset.

On the other hand, when tracking and mixing, you want to concentrate on the TONE, and the less disturbing elements around the better, plus you always want to rest your feet on the desk, right?

Anyway, a setup has to suit each person's preferences and methodologies, so I guess in the end it works for you.

But you forgot to leave room for the Nespresso machine ;-p

Happy new year.
delcosmos
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
Feliz año nuevo Armando y que tu próximo lustro sea tan fructífero como lo ha sido el último.

Regarding your newer setup.. I'm not so sure. Because you're mixing two workspaces: composing/arranging and engineering.

Sure you've seen how guys with big setups like PGabriel, MassiveAttack, MikeOldfield... etc have always separated those workspaces, which have completely different workflows and requirements.

Composing is IMO for trying out ideas and should allow for (constant) quick changes. Keyboard, mouse, and DAW controller on hand is always handy, as it is to have some small but functional mixer, as a Tonelux, X-Desk/Panda, Cadac Live1.. etc, with some pres, synths and fx always patched in and ready to run.
But you're using a 4K for the mixer instead (!), which is a huge PITA to reset.

On the other hand, when tracking and mixing, you want to concentrate on the TONE, and the less disturbing elements around the better, plus you always want to rest your feet on the desk, right?

Anyway, a setup has to suit each person's preferences and methodologies, so I guess in the end it works for you.

But you forgot to leave room for the Nespresso machine ;-p

Happy new year.
Hey Jindrich, have a happy new year! Hope everything is going great with you.

Well, regarding my set up, that's the whole point of this! I need to cover those 6 things: Composing, arranging, programming, performing, tracking and mixing!

That's my kind of production for the last 12 years, 90% of my projects are being done this way, some times I even track my own drums je je.

That is why I finished with this set up, I love the sound of the 4000, but I hate to have my controller on one side!

Those guys you mentioned are artists, not engineers. I need to cover all production aspects (I know, I'm a control freak, but nobody has complained
My whole idea was born many years ago when I saw a mix magazine showing Hans Zimmer's workstation, then I saw Michael Cretu's set up, this guy had everything at the same spot, with a very nice custom made workstation, and I said YES! That's what I want.

Best regards and again, happy 2013!

delcosmos
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

Beautiful pictures.
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

I agree there is no "right or wrong" setup, just whatever works best for you.
I am curious about how you use the the Quested system.
Are they running much of the time, or do you just turn them on when you want to
hear the mix on a big system?
delcosmos
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffLee View Post
Compressor theshholds? Eq frequencies/boosts/cuts?ains
I use mostly the eq's from my SSL.
If I put a pultec on my kick or snare, usually I can set it easily, that wall is behind me, is not in another room!

I control the thresholds of my compressors from the gain of the console or the output of the daw.

Fine tunnings are made on the console and inside the daw.

Best regards.

Delcosmos.
delcosmos
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
I agree there is no "right or wrong" setup, just whatever works best for you.
I am curious about how you use the the Quested system.
Are they running much of the time, or do you just turn them on when you want to
hear the mix on a big system?
Hello!

In fact those Quested are only used when a band with 6 members and their managers, A&R's, girlfriends, friends and family come in to listening their final album, in those cases the Yammies and the Genelecs are not enough, so the Monster Quested's comes to fill the room with an amazing power and quality

Best regards.

Delcosmos.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search