Login / Register

How is your approah to Protools mixing different from analog?
New Reply
Subscribe
no ssl yet
15th October 2003
Old 15th October 2003
no ssl yet

How is your approah to Protools mixing different from analog?

Guys hopefully this will turn into one of those classic threads. In the past whenever we talked about the protools mix buss and if good mixes could be acchieved "in the box", there have always been comments about it being possible, but protools mixing needing "a different approach." What I'd like to know is just what that different approach is for you all individually. I know this may seem like a "used" subject, but we always have the questions and problems in threads but we seldom speak of the solutions.

What are your solutions?

Who knows maybe we can get some links to "in the box" mixes in different genres that demonstrate what people recommend as a "different approach"

Well lets see?
15th October 2003
Old 15th October 2003
Lives for gear

Well, for example I'll print Outboard FX into PT and line them up. Like when I mix analog, I sometimes use a sub of the kick snare and toms, buss them through a pair of distressors and really whack it. On an analog console, I would just bring them up on a pair of faders. When working with Bro Tools, I receord the Distressed drum sub into the computer and then shift for phase. I do the same thing with some vocal FX too. I don't mix a whole lot in analog, so I don't really know that many....

Ian
Twitter
Standard Audio - Home of the Level-Or, 500 series Level-loc inspired limiter and the 500 Series Stretch.
15th October 2003
Old 15th October 2003
Lives for gear

I try not to approach Pro Tools at all...
15th October 2003
Old 15th October 2003
Lives for gear

Mixing in PT is doable but still alot harder. I still don't really like mixing in it although recording with it is great.

I've been using PT bussed into 16 channels of my Manley Mixer. When you got it separated and summed analog, it does sound alot better .

dunno, maybe it's in my head....?

Hey, I got a question:

Is it possible to "mult" an Aux to two sets of stereo outs? In PT, that is..?
15th October 2003
Old 15th October 2003
Lives for gear

Control click the output selection and choose a set of outputs and it will mult that signal to that selection as well as the outputs previously selected.

Run-on sentences rule....
15th October 2003
Old 15th October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by nlc201
Control click the output selection and choose a set of outputs and it will mult that signal to that selection as well as the outputs previously selected.

Run-on sentences rule....
Thanks!
15th October 2003
Old 15th October 2003
Lives for gear

For better or worse, in Pro Tools I build a mix as I'm tracking. On the plus side, all that dicking around you do as you're tracking gets preserved. Furthermore, the very way the atoms of the room are arranged at the moment is saved. The specific relationship of the instruments that everybody is overdubbing or singing to is still there when you come back to it. When I'm done tracking, the mix is also mostly done.

That can be good or not. But it seems one way to take advantage of a characteristic peculiar to working on a DAW.

Furthermore, when mixing a larger project, I'll often jump from tune to tune as I'm finessing the mixes. Keeps the perspective fresh when you're beating yourself up wondering if the stupid tambourine is too loud or not.

-R
no ssl yet
16th October 2003
Old 16th October 2003
no ssl yet

I have begun to get my drums compressed before going into ptools (dbx160xt) and it's working effectively.

What eq would you guys recommend for someone who is gonna use it as his only tracking eq? As of right now I only have my NTI (since I traded my Manley for some stuff), and the NTI lives on my 2 bus.

Since I only have 2 channels of conversion I only need two channels of eq
16th October 2003
Old 16th October 2003
Gear maniac

I think No SSL has it right...the key to mixing in PT is to record things well enough that you don't have to mess with em too much when you're mixing...
16th October 2003
Old 16th October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfhound
I think No SSL has it right...the key to mixing in PT is to record things well enough that you don't have to mess with em too much when you're mixing...
Seems to me that's good advice no matter what you're recording to.

-R
17th October 2003
Old 17th October 2003
Gear maniac

yeah, but when working in PT, the "we'll fix it later" attitude seems to be more problematic....
17th October 2003
Old 17th October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah, but when working in PT, the "we'll fix it later" attitude seems to be more problematic....
Well, the more you do it the more you come to understand what you can fix and what you can't. I spent a lot of time in my career on 4 track and 8 track systems, and in fact have produced some pretty good stuff bouncing monophonic analog synths back and forth on a 2 track Revox. I can't imagine what it would be like to come up now and be faced with all these unearned possibilities. Was it Sartre who talked about "paralysis in the face of overwhelming options"?,( or something like that.)

-R
17th October 2003
Old 17th October 2003
Lives for gear

many ways

Everyone has their own methods in PT. That's part of the charm I suppose.
One way to avoid the boxy, no dimension mixes is to get your mixes out of the box.
There are any number of summing devices that will help you spread the load over your converters instead of crowding the 2 buss. I prefer the Dangerous because of it's build quality and open sound but there are others.
That, along with a good clock will help a great deal.
chap
17th October 2003
Old 17th October 2003
Gear maniac

Quote:
Was it Sartre who talked about "paralysis in the face of overwhelming options"
I always liked to call it "analysis paralysis"...I agree completely
17th October 2003
Old 17th October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
very wise words but doesn't this apply to mixing / recording in general .... digital or analog ???
18th October 2003
Old 18th October 2003
Gearslutz.com admin

My Recordings/Credits

Paah..... mixing just drives you nutz! Take Slipperman for example...

Do you see where I am going with this?

Heeeehe
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search