Which NEVE 1073 clone preamp sounds most like the original 1073 preamp?
View Poll Results: Which of these manufacturers' Neve clone sounds most like an original NEVE 1073
Aurora Audio
9 Votes - 13.43%
Brent Averil
13 Votes - 19.40%
Chameleon Labs
7 Votes - 10.45%
Chandler Limited
13 Votes - 19.40%
Vintage Designs
3 Votes - 4.48%
Vintech Audio
22 Votes - 32.84%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

echo unit
23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006
Gear maniac

Which NEVE 1073 clone preamp sounds most like the original 1073 preamp?

This is not another clone thread with endless back and forth natterings.

It is simply a poll to see what the results are from the Gearslutz community after the clones have been out there for a while. Long enough anyway for people to form some honest opinions.

Lets do the gearslutz community a favor and stick to some rules:

If you have never used an original 1073 side by side with the neve 1073 clone products you are not qualified to vote.

If you are a dealer who sells AMS-NEVE or NEVE clone products, you are also not qualified to vote as your vote is completely biased based on what you sell.

If you have a formed opinion on a preamp you enjoy the most out of these please feel free to post a reply but do not vote for that preamp unless you have compared it directly to a real original Neve 1073.

Only vote one time and make sure that you vote for something based on expereicne and not hype, what a product looks like or what people have written about it here or elsewhere on the internet or in magazines. Let's try to keep things honest and fair without the color of a popularity contest.

The aim is not to approve or disapprove or anyones' purchases of these preamps but to get a realistic veiw of what people are enjoying the most out of the Neve clones available so do not vote for something just to make yourself feel like you purchased the right one. For example...I have purchased a neve Clone by one of the manufacturers on the list. Since then I have heard one of the others and know that it is much better so I would definitley not vote for the one I have purchased.
23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo unit
This is not another clone thread with endless back and forth natterings.

It is simply a poll to see what the results are from the Gearslutz community after the clones have been out there for a while. Long enough anyway for people to form some honest opinions.

If you have never used an original 1073 side by side with the neve 1073 clone products you are not qualified to vote.

If you are a dealer who sells AMS-NEVE or NEVE clone products, you are also not qualified to vote as your vote is completely biased based on what you sell.
Didn't we just have a huge thread about this? Are we so enamored with it, that we have to continue to talk about this subject almost hourly?

I recommend people to click here:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/searc...archid=1822298

There are 381 threads about this.
23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006

And perhaps you should add a "NONE" option too.....
echo unit
23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006
Gear maniac

Tony,

Sorry you feel so put off. Please ignore.

For the rest interested in this thread. Let em tell you that there is not a thread like this one anywhere on gearslutz and it's about time all the enless chattering was turned into numbers so that we can out this issue to bed.

This one brings it all togehter in one spot and lines up all the contenders equally.

All the other threads bring in products that are Neve like or based on Neve or AMS-NEVE which are the real deal and are not a clone product. Great River, Portico, Wunder etc...Not Neve clones! This thread deals only with the exact clones of the 10 sereis Neve preamp design. No Re-issues or based on neve design stuff here.

Just clones head to head for voters to finally generate a public majority opinion.

All the threads you speak of ask the question about how one clone compares to another or how they all compare to each other but none of them stay on topic.

This is a poll and the results of numbers create a more focused and accurate account of findings than
enless banter.

Tim,

The poll is not asking if these sound like a Neve 1073. It only asks which one sounds closest to an original Neve 1073.
23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006

Quote:
Tony,

Sorry you feel so put off. Please ignore.
Sorry... just bored with the whole subject. I feel the same way about the "what is the best A/D converters?" threads...

Quote:
All the other threads bring in products that are Neve like or based on Neve or AMS-NEVE which are the real deal and are not a clone product. Great River, Portico, Wunder etc...Not Neve clones! This thread deals only with the exact clones of the 10 sereis Neve preamp design. No Re-issues or based on neve design stuff here.
The Aurora Audio GTQ2 is "the real deal"... It is no more a clone than the GR, Wunder, or Portico. It's not a clone of any Neve product, yet IMO probably sounds closest to a 1073 out of all the options...
23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006
MonsterIsland.com

I was going to vote for one, but then I realized that I'd only heard two on the list.

Shouldn't you have had to hear all of them in order to qualify to vote?

Otherwise, you're only voting for the one you've heard which has to do with access not quality.

The Chameleon, for instance, in actually a clone of one of the other on the list, not a clone fo a 1073. It's probably the worst one, but I think it's the cheapest and will probably fare well since there's probably more people with access to it.
23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006
Gear addict

i don't know of many people that would be qualified to answer your question. Really, in order to give you a proper answer you'd need to have all of those pre's in the same room as a 1073 and then individually a/b them with the 1073!!! It's unlikely. What makes you ask this?
23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006
Gear Guru

Unreal

Echo...
Dude,after all the Neve copy threads posted over and over and over..
you feel compelled to start another worthless thread comparing Neve clones..fuuck
23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
Echo...
Dude,after all the Neve copy threads posted over and over and over..
you feel compelled to start another worthless thread comparing Neve clones..fuuck

fark dude, you're cruel
23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy Alz
fark dude, you're cruel

Do a search on echos threads,then "Neve clones",then you'll get the idea
have fun..
23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

I guess the closest thing would be an AMS-Neve 1073 DPD because it's actually a real Neve?
23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Didn't we just have a huge thread about this? Are we so enamored with it, that we have to continue to talk about this subject almost hourly?

I recommend people to click here:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/searc...archid=1822298

There are 381 threads about this.

For all the moron reactions like the quoted one : you can just IGNORE a thread if you feel bored or whatever.. No one forces you to read or even react to the thread...
I dfegad on bored people...get a life..
23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Is the apple pie you ate today the same as one you had bought last week... No because last weeks was now dry and stale. If you had frozen it and just 'perked it up in your oven, it would still not be the same.
If you have a 'true' original 1073 then to be any good it must have been recapped at least, therefore it is not a true original.
Everything changes, some adapt to the new life and think afresh.
Matt S
23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

With all the time and energy wasted on all these goddamn threads, you could have got yourself a paper route or burger flipping job and had an AMS Neve 1073 by now
23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Hey what's the deal. How come I can't vote more than once?

-R
23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrelNote
For all the moron reactions like the quoted one : you can just IGNORE a thread if you feel bored or whatever.. No one forces you to read or even react to the thread...
I dfegad on bored people...get a life..
23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

I voted. I haven't heard any of them up close.

What? All the sudden I have to be an informed voter? Oh, there's so much you need to learn about democracy.
23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispick
I voted. I haven't heard any of them up close.

What? All the sudden I have to be an informed voter? Oh, there's so much you need to learn about democracy.
I always vote for the last thing on the list.

-R
23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Sorry... just bored with the whole subject. I feel the same way about the "what is the best A/D converters?" threads...

I think the best convertors are Prism convertors because they were one of my favourite bands growing up ......Aaaaarmageddon, carry me hoooooooooome, Aaaarmageddon carry me hoooooooooooome!

This might only be funny to fellow Canadians, come to think of it, it might not even be funny to them either !! Screw it , have a good weekend everyone
23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006
Gear nut

This poll has turned into a popularity contest with people chiming in to feel right about what they have purchased.

This proves the most important point so far about all these Neve cloners.

It shows that no matter what is actually the best one, people will just believe the hype that all the dealers spew out because they want to sell the ones that they carry.

For example:

Aurora audio does business from it's own front door. They do not work through dealers who hype up the products that have the largest profit margins.

Isn't it funny that Aurora audio is the only company that actually use the original Marinar Transformers and that Geoff Tanner who runs that comapny used to work for Neve in the 70's and he owns an original 80 series console loaded with 1073's.

Wouldn't that put him in a position to be able to directly compare and build his GTQ2 unit to sound like the 1073 modules that he knows better than anyone else and actually owns multitudes of?

Does Dallas Upton own a Neve 80 series console that he can directly compare his product to? Did Dallas ever work for Rupert Neve?

Does Wade at Chandler own a Neve console does he even know Rupert??

Why do Vintech and Chandler always get the thumbs up here on Geaslutz?

I think there is quite a bit of sheep herding going on here by companies and dealers with fancy advertising on Gearslitz and other internet websites. I would like to hear more people express some truths and opinions to the results of the poll thus far.

23rd June 2006
Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman
I always vote for the last thing on the list.

-R

Yeah, especially when it sounds cool.

Try saying this:

"Shut up, man! I work for Vintech!"

See? Cool. It's techie AND has one of the most heavy-metal letters in the alphabet, V.
24th June 2006
Old 24th June 2006
Gear maniac

If anyone is interested I'm selling my vintech x73i /w PSU....... 1350, I just bought it not three months ago, I need the money for other things.... life happens even when music doesn't. pm me........
24th June 2006
Old 24th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklynn
Does Dallas Upton own a Neve 80 series console that he can directly compare his product to? Did Dallas ever work for Rupert Neve?
Does Dallas Upton actually live in Dallas?

-R
24th June 2006
Old 24th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispick
Yeah, especially when it sounds cool.

Try saying this:

"Shut up, man! I work for Vintech!"

See? Cool. It's techie AND has one of the most heavy-metal letters in the alphabet, V.

Try saying this fast:

Vintech, Vintech, Vintech, Vintech, Vintech.

That's why he didn't call his company "Toy Boat".

-R
24th June 2006
Old 24th June 2006
MonsterIsland.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom
I guess the closest thing would be an AMS-Neve 1073 DPD because it's actually a real Neve?

Hahaha!

Define "real" Neve.
24th June 2006
Old 24th June 2006
Gear addict

dfegad
24th June 2006
Old 24th June 2006
Lives for gear

Is there an option for "this thread needs to die?"

P.S.: Vintage 1073's are still going up...last I checked, Vintage King is asking $1k more than what they were asking last year. Why, I don't know. I mean, if it keeps going this way, I'll sell mine and use it as a down payment on a loan for a studio with EIGHT of 'em...how slutty is THAT? And I'll buy an ad banner at the top of gearslutz -- so first thing when you log on...there's me, there's my pic, and there's my sidecar...bet that would drive the price up even more.

Of course, a Corvette owners group or something would have quite a laugh at all this...I mean, for the price of a nice late model used Honda, you can get the ENTIRE Holy Grail vocal chain of your dreams...in great condition. And it's an investment, to boot.

P.P.S.: Yes, to give a proper answer, you'd have to have used most or all. I'd say very few of us have used more than half of these, esp. more than once.
24th June 2006
Old 24th June 2006
Lives for gear

24th June 2006
Old 24th June 2006
Lives for gear

dipset.............what does it mean?
24th June 2006
Old 24th June 2006

Quote:
It shows that no matter what is actually the best one, people will just believe the hype that all the dealers spew out because they want to sell the ones that they carry.

For example:

Aurora audio does business from it's own front door. They do not work through dealers who hype up the products that have the largest profit margins.

Isn't it funny that Aurora audio is the only company that actually use the original Marinar Transformers and that Geoff Tanner who runs that comapny used to work for Neve in the 70's and he owns an original 80 series console loaded with 1073's.

Wouldn't that put him in a position to be able to directly compare and build his GTQ2 unit to sound like the 1073 modules that he knows better than anyone else and actually owns multitudes of?
OK... I'll bite.

First, I would like to pre-face this with the fact that I'm a dealer for Aurora Audio, as well as Chandler, and am good friends with the guys at Brent Averill for what ever it's worth.

You actually have some priveleged information there Echo. Not many people know that Aurora Audio actually has the "original" Marinair staff winding transformers for them. But, you are a little bit off on a lot of your other thoughts. First, Aurora Audio does deal with dealers (I'm one of a small handful), and they do not sell direct. Second, as I stated previously.... THE AURORA AUDIO GTQ2MKIII IS NOT A 1073 CLONE!!!

OK, let me say it again... THE AURORA AUDIO GTQ2MKIII IS NOT A 1073 CLONE!!!

The GTQ is more like an improvement on the discrete Class A circuits Geoff worked on in the 70's. Yes, he worked for Neve for 12 years (including the "glory years" that we are all familiar with). And, he also held several positions at the company. If you come across an original 1073 schematic, you will notice the initials GT, which stands for, you guessed it... Geoff Tanner. But, let me say again... THE AURORA AUDIO GTQ2MKII IS NOT A 1073 CLONE!!!

The console you are referring to that Geoff "owns" (which is actually the 80 series console from Grand Master "owned" by Alan Dickson, but I digress), is all 1084's, not 1073's. But, again THE AURORA AUDIO GTQ2MKIII IS NOT A 1073 CLONE!!!

Quote:
OK... I actually cannot argue with this statement at all Echo (or whoever you are right now)... You are absolutely right that Geoff is the one who is capable of making a product that would be closest in build quality and sound to a 1073. I personally think the GTQ sounds incredible, but again THE AURORA AUDIO GTQ2MKII IS NOT A 1073 CLONE... it's better!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search