Speck X-sum...anyone try it?
New Reply
Subscribe
thethrillfactor
20th June 2006
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Guru

Speck X-sum...anyone try it?

I am thinking about picking one up for an effects submixer and i was wondering has anyone tried it and what are your opinions on it.
20th June 2006
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Should be getting mine in a few days!

guru007
20th June 2006
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

its very clean, sounds great, i recommend it highly. great simple design. i use it for tracking keyboards and fx. just what i needed at the right price. otherwise i would've gotten the neve 8816, i don't regret my choice at all, especially given many peoples lack of enthusiasm about the 8816.
20th June 2006
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

I own an X.Sum and use it to sum busses and fx returns. It sounds wonderful, I also recommend it highly.
20th June 2006
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

good headroom. sounds really great. you get two stereo mix busses instead of one. my only gripe is the feel of the mix/mono buttons on each channel. i wish they felt a little more solid.

electric
20th June 2006
Old 20th June 2006
Gear maniac

Looks like a really handy unit to have around. I'm sure to pick one up if my deal comes through.
thethrillfactor
20th June 2006
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Guru

All you guys that think its sounds great what are you comparing it to?

In other words in what context?

Are we talking in terms of price to performance ratio? functionality? Or sound?

I finally got all my effects unit wired up and i am thinking to pick up 3 or 4 Xsums and chaining them together but my concern is if the depth,width or detail of all these effect units will get compromised.
20th June 2006
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

hi thrill,

i am not a big console guy like you so my opinion is probably no use to you in the width/depth department. my only comparison was ITB. to my ears it sounds bigger with more definition than ITB but i also added tons of outboard eq/comp at same time i upgraded to OTB mixing. not apples to apples.

sonically the thing is punchy. the amps are pretty fast in it and respond well to percussive material. the input channels seem to have a nice big sweet spot in terms of how hot you can hit them. i havent had a problem with headroom.

maybe it will work for ya. i dont know.

electric
20th June 2006
Old 20th June 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor

In other words in what context?

Are we talking in terms of price to performance ratio? functionality? Or sound?

I finally got all my effects unit wired up and i am thinking to pick up 3 or 4 Xsums and chaining them together but my concern is if the depth,width or detail of all these effect units will get compromised.
You'd do better getting the Speck Xtramix for the application you are describing.
20th June 2006
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

i have both.....i dont know. imo sonically i think xsum is a bit better. i would try xsum first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Logic
You'd do better getting the Speck Xtramix for the application you are describing.
21st June 2006
Old 21st June 2006
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Branislav
Quote:
The source, what comes in goes out, nothing added, nothing lost, what more can you ask for?
Quote:
Are we talking in terms of price to performance ratio? functionality? Or sound?.
Don't be misled by price, going up in price will get you different, but not better. Talking about the sound.
Quote:
... my concern is if the depth,width or detail of all these effect units will get compromised.
Anything added in the signal path is a compromise, but Xsum will not be the weakest link in your chain.

Branislav
21st June 2006
Old 21st June 2006
Lives for gear

As far as comparisons I wasn't talking about price to performance, as the X.Sum sounds great to me regardless of price, and price was not a factor in my decision to buy one. The most immediate comparison for me is with my XtraMix's, and I think the X.Sum sounds better. I noticed that immediately when I first wired it up, the soundstage gotter bigger in every respect. However, I don't have multiple X.Sums chained. So used like that the comparison with the XtraMix might become closer, but that is speculation.

Obviously, if rack space is critical, you'll get a lot more channels in fewer rack spaces with the X.Sum.

I bought my X.Sum from Mercenary and they have a great return policy. You could probably try one out for a while and return it if it doesn't meet your standards. I kind of doubt you will return it, but at least you'd have that option.

I really don't have anything negative to say about the X.Sum, it's a great piece of kit.
6th July 2006
Old 6th July 2006
Lives for gear

Also note that the body of the unit spans a full 17.5" across (versus something like a distressor which is 17" across). As such, it doesn't fit between my rackrails - especially with the small screws protruding from the side of the unit. It seems most equipment is maybe 17.25" or so across. Due to the lack of this comment anywhere - it probably has more to do with my rack, than anything else - but I figured Id post it just in case someone has a rack with 17.5" or less of clearance. Obviously Vince is packing in as much as possible, and every millimeter matters.
The Mendocrats - Amberleaf (Cigarettes)
7th July 2006
Old 7th July 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
As far as comparisons I wasn't talking about price to performance, as the X.Sum sounds great to me regardless of price, and price was not a factor in my decision to buy one. The most immediate comparison for me is with my XtraMix's, and I think the X.Sum sounds better. I noticed that immediately when I first wired it up, the soundstage gotter bigger in every respect. However, I don't have multiple X.Sums chained. So used like that the comparison with the XtraMix might become closer, but that is speculation.

Obviously, if rack space is critical, you'll get a lot more channels in fewer rack spaces with the X.Sum.

I bought my X.Sum from Mercenary and they have a great return policy. You could probably try one out for a while and return it if it doesn't meet your standards. I kind of doubt you will return it, but at least you'd have that option.

I really don't have anything negative to say about the X.Sum, it's a great piece of kit.
Did you a/b it with the Xtramix? I suppose its closer to a "straight wire" than the Xtramix but it seems shocking to me that there would really be that much of a difference between the two, particularly since the LiLO is basically a console version of the Xtramix--why base your high end mixing console on an inferior design? What version of the Xtramix did you compare the Xsum to (there have been five revisions of the Xtramix and I understand there have been significant component/sound upgrades over the years).
7th July 2006
Old 7th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scinx
Also note that the body of the unit spans a full 17.5" across (versus something like a distressor which is 17" across). As such, it doesn't fit between my rackrails - especially with the small screws protruding from the side of the unit. It seems most equipment is maybe 17.25" or so across. Due to the lack of this comment anywhere - it probably has more to do with my rack, than anything else - but I figured Id post it just in case someone has a rack with 17.5" or less of clearance. Obviously Vince is packing in as much as possible, and every millimeter matters.
Yes, there's a lot packed into the 17.5" chassis, and yes the clearance between the rack is close. Although it should fit.

Something you might want to check is if the rack rails are bowed "inward" in the area where you are trying to insert the X.Sum. Sometimes in the middle area of an equipment rack (especially tall wood racks), the rack bows inward in a bit. Measure the inside clearance dimension at the extreme top/bottom of the rack and compare to the mid section of the rack. If it is indeed bowed in the center, loosen the rack screws on some of the gear and seperate the rack a little then re-tighten the screws.

Facebook | Speck Electronics
7th July 2006
Old 7th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you a/b it with the Xtramix? I suppose its closer to a "straight wire" than the Xtramix but it seems shocking to me that there would really be that much of a difference between the two, particularly since the LiLO is basically a console version of the Xtramix--why base your high end mixing console on an inferior design? What version of the Xtramix did you compare the Xsum to (there have been five revisions of the Xtramix and I understand there have been significant component/sound upgrades over the years).
I'm using two XtraMix's cascaded, and they are of different vintage. One is the first version I believe, and the other is much more recent, maybe the current model or one back. I'd be interested to compare the X.Sum to a brand new XtraMix, but it does sound better than the XtraMix's I have.

I highly doubt the LiLo is an "inferior design".
7th July 2006
Old 7th July 2006
Lives for gear

hi ghost,
like many things the difference is marginal. however the XSUM is shockingly transparent. the xtramix has many layers of more electronics in the signal path. you just cant get around that changing the sound. xtramix is very close. i also have an older xtramix version so i cant comment on the latest revision.

electric

Quote:
22nd September 2006
Old 22nd September 2006
Gear addict

Thought I'd bring this back and see if anyone out there is using this primarily for summing and how they're liking it. Also, anyone using the breakout box and another preamp? Any experience and thoughts are appreciated.

I just ordered one.
22nd September 2006
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebjerome View Post
Thought I'd bring this back and see if anyone out there is using this primarily for summing and how they're liking it. Also, anyone using the breakout box and another preamp? Any experience and thoughts are appreciated.

I just ordered one.
I think it sounds great. I dont use the breakout box as much as I thought I might - and it (the breakout box) feels like its $2.00 worth of materials.

I do notice some minor leakage between channels, although Vince tells me that has to be a grounding issue. I also don't have clearance for it in my custom rack due to its width (but it should fit in all perfectly standard racks).

That said, I think youll be happy with it. I most likely will get another in the coming year. I think its a great piece of equipment
22nd September 2006
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebjerome View Post

I just ordered one.
Using it everyday and loving it. Very clean. I wish there were detents on the channel knobs for unity gain. Mute or Solo buttons would've been nice, too. No biggies. I can already tell I'm getting closer to a LiLo - if only I could rack that thing!

Oh yeah, I'm using the breakout box with a SLAM (after the RMS755 and HEDD) for extra flavor when needed.

guru007
23rd September 2006
Old 23rd September 2006
Lives for gear

Totally agree with the detents idea.
I think the mute idea would be the biggest feature I'd love to have that isnt there already - but I am sure there wasnt an extra mm of room in there. As such, I just use the A/B buttons as my mutes.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search