Login / Register

What are the best delay units for vocals?
New Reply
Subscribe
joh
18th June 2012
Old 18th June 2012
joh
Gear nut

Strymon Timeline is my new toy, I really love it - far better than everything digital i used before. Alltime favorite is my good old re201.

Most of my work is done itb, I like the uad emulations (and echoboy).
18th June 2012
Old 18th June 2012
Lives for gear

Don't beat me, but I like the old Ibanez DM1000.
18th June 2012
Old 18th June 2012
Lives for gear

I have several delay units with their specialties strategically applied.

For echo/basic delay, I use a Korg SDD-2000. Good fidelity and you can dial the delay time down to the tenth of a second. I limit the bandwidth with a highpass filter which sounds a lot more natural to my ears.

For haas delay, I like my Yamaha E1010. The E1010 doesn't do modulated delay very well and it does have a certain grunge that works well for guitars or vocals.

For basic stereo modulated delay, I like the Korg SDD-1200. The LFO can be phase inverted on the other side which makes true stereo chorus that doesn't cancel in mono.

For complex multivoiced chorus or room resonance, nothing beats my ADA STD-1. It has six non-harmonically related delay taps with a pair of LFOs for modulated effects. The feedback can create a resonance that can alter the timbre of the source in a positive way. Hard to get a bad sound out of that box.

For the ultimate in delay tweaking, there's the Korg SDD-3300. Three digital delays with insane routing and modulation options. If you know your way around delay architectures you can get effects out of that thing that most multiFX can only dream of.

I like the modular approach - haven't heard a multiFX that can sound as good as independent units.
18th June 2012
Old 18th June 2012
Gear addict

One more +1 for Roland space echos - 201 is great sounding tape delay but even better you can really tweak the sound a lot while printing the delay and end up with all kinds of crazy pitch sweeps and stuff. I hear it a lot on Radioheads Ok Computer (maybe not as much vox on that record but a 201 feeding back seems to be on almost every song somewhere). Boss PS-2 is cool too (dark blue pitch shift delay pedal from the 80s) for a dirty digital vibe.

Mushroom Stamp Productions

19th June 2012
Old 19th June 2012
Lives for gear

I always come back to the TC D-Two for its sound and simplicity. I would love a PCM42 and a 2290. No fan of the SDE, but it's been a while since I used one.

Stein Tore
19th June 2012
Old 19th June 2012
Troubled

Send a message via MSN to Pelle G
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
What is it that makes the 1580 the stand out piece for vocals? What does it do differently from the others (and in particular newer units)? What makes it so great? What recordings (recent and past) can it be heard on?
Well. I researched this a lot. I use it as a stereo spreader and for vocals mostly.
Settings are 10 cents down in left / 10 cents up in right.
10 to 20 ms delay. No feedback.

My unit has been a bit shaky and I've been trying to find a replacement plug in for the box. Even though pitchblender by soundtoys is close, it's still not THE sound. I guess it's the converters. It jumps out and make it super wide and symphonic.

Sometimes it's fine to just take whatever pitch and delay plug. But, once in a while, I wanna have more of a featured effect. More personality. Those times the AMS is like a 78 year old drunken sailor. Lot's of personality, it's like a finished record.

I don't sit on the facts but 99% of stereo sounds thru the 70s or 80s came 2 x 910 or a 1580. I think I heard that Dr Dre used it a lot also, I could remember it wrong. He has awesome stereo vocals though.
waldie wave
20th June 2012
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for your replies. I am inclining towards a TC 2290 or 1580.
waldie wave
9th July 2012
Old 9th July 2012
Lives for gear

I bought a TC 2290 from a guy on GS. The unit is probably over the Pacific Ocean now somewhere between the US and New Zealand. I am looking forward to using it. Hopefully it will arrive here later this week.

I have found an AMS 1580S preset on my Eventide H8000FW. It does a pretty decent job widening the sound of vocals with the following settings: -9 cents, +9 cents, 5 ms and 20 ms.

I will try the combination of the 2 delays (using the AMS preset and TC ducking delay) to see how the units sound together.
10th July 2012
Old 10th July 2012
Troubled

Send a message via MSN to Pelle G
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
I bought a TC 2290 from a guy on GS. The unit is probably over the Pacific Ocean now somewhere between the US and New Zealand. I am looking forward to using it. Hopefully it will arrive here later this week.

I have found an AMS 1580S preset on my Eventide H8000FW. It does a pretty decent job widening the sound of vocals with the following settings: -9 cents, +9 cents, 5 ms and 20 ms.

I will try the combination of the 2 delays (using the AMS preset and TC ducking delay) to see how the units sound together.
Yes. The H8000 does AMS emulation terrific, forgot about that.
Actually, last week I found this DMG pitch plugin that work really, really good as a spreader. Beats the soundtoys one even ... happy me!
10th July 2012
Old 10th July 2012
Lives for gear

the only delay that gets my creative juices flowing is the Roland Space echo (could be some other tape echo as well).

Why?

1. It has a couple of knobs (not too many) and playing with them is like listening to a compilation of classic records (Here we have John Lennon, there's Elvis, how's Bowie doin') the sounds are recognisable, straightforward and not of the wimpy "Let's put a delay on this but I don't want to hear a delay" school of thought. They're easy to adjust a it's all potmeters and no digital scroll menu's which are total creativity killers. still the flexibility and options are vast. You can do every usuable sound with a Roland and with the sound on sound option you can do crazy effects that are less predictale than with anything digital.

2. The repeat sounds nothing like the original. It's dark, slightly distorted and pitchy. Just like in nature. Ever heard an exact copy of your voices coming from a rock? The good thing is that these imperfections create a depth in the mix that a more hi-fi repeat simply can't. The Space echo makes stuff 3d sounding. Over here I didn't get the same depth with either a Roland 330 or a rumour (which may not be the best delays in digital land, o.k )
Now I'm sure there's digital delays with somewhat the same effect to it, but the ease of use and instant cool and very useful depth makes a good tape delay a winner and the only delay I need to mix music the way I like it.

- Shaver
10th July 2012
Old 10th July 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I use a Strymon Timeline and that has a the capability to duck.

Regards,
Frank
The TC D-two has a ducking function.
A.
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

PrimeTime II, PCM-41, 1300/S, AMS 1580, H3000, 2290, Other then that All Plug In's and TC D-Two Sound & Feel like your wearing a Condom!

TLB.
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

Eventide Timefactors are fun..

Soundtoys echo plugs are great
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

There's kind of a fork in the road here - you either go the clean repeats route, which a lot of gear can do or the colored/mangled way. They both serve their purpose, whatever the mix needs. A lot of times I feel mixes need both, but not on the same signal at once.
GS fun: people who can't drive ask other people who can't drive if they should buy a 12 ton truck or a BMW. Then ask somebody from Berlin (with a map of Moscow) for the way to the train station in Hongkong. Somebody stresses the importance of grabbing the steering wheel with one hand only, as Bruce Swedien was reported to have done that 1986, while reversing into his driveway.
If want to check some tasteful piece of art I was involved, here: https://soundcloud.com/frans_13/organtransplant
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

Actually a PCM80 will do all you say.......and a ton more! (What all are near saying)
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
There's kind of a fork in the road here - you either go the clean repeats route, which a lot of gear can do or the colored/mangled way. They both serve their purpose, whatever the mix needs. A lot of times I feel mixes need both, but not on the same signal at once.
It's not as simple as that though. That would be like saying you either go the analog synth route or the digital synth route. Lots of different 'clean' and 'colored'. Point being they all have specific tonal characters, which serving different tasks in different contexts achieve different emotions to the sound. Glassy but full and classy 1580 and 2290....warm and humming Lex delays, solid SDE3000, shiny Eventide spreading....bla bla bla......know where you want the thing to slide into the mix and you'll know which tool you're after.
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

Karloff, I trust you to trample the grass and run off in any direction, whatever the mix needs. Anything between 100% clean to fully colored - you'd be a boring engineer if you stuck to formulas, which I know you don't.
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

How are you PCM42 users setting your unit for main vocal delay ?

If you have tips, please expound. Delay time ? Wet/dry ratios ?

Do you find you go for very short delay time settings most of the time for vocals ?

I've used mine mostly always on electric guitars. Bout time that I jump in the ring with it concerning main vocal duties.

11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

Use Automation & Eq and most of your delay treatments are easy as! (Desk not Daw)
Simple.....! Hate people who stick to delay charts 8th 16th and pure 4/4 time repeats...when I hear that I think Lazy!
Actually with a PCM 41 or 42 it's kinda nice often to let a guitarist play these FX and track them wet.
Split/Mult and you can always come back and fix up the muck.
Though often, it's a certain Blues Guitarist who's the best judge at how much delay he wants and if it's coming amped or direct from console etc - there are hundreds of ways to do it - so many techniques!
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
Karloff, I trust you to trample the grass and run off in any direction, whatever the mix needs. Anything between 100% clean to fully colored - you'd be a boring engineer if you stuck to formulas, which I know you don't.
Wenn da Grass ist wird draufgetrampelt, Franz.
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

Nope need google translation for that one - play nice though girls - don't fight!
Actually I though your Ideas on London were cool Karloff - what to see - what not etc in the down Sth forum!
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Nope need google translation for that one - play nice though girls - don't fight!
No one's fighting...just a bit of bavarian bonding....
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

Cool unless it's a certain Publison Delay - nothing's worth fighting over!
Lol....
TLB.
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

Karloff are you on an SSL?
TLB
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
Karloff are you on an SSL?
TLB
lol...no. Haven't seen one for years. I mainly entertain myself in my little home studio these days.

Edit: What to see? lol...I don't remember what I might have blurted into that thread I'm afraid... ;-)
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

Ok.....Can I/we get a bavarian translation? Lol.....!
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
Ok.....Can I/we get a bavarian translation? Lol.....!
Just says if there is grass it gets trampled.
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

Ohhhh Like every idiot is an expert huh? Interesting stuff re Madonna - Didn't see you coming out their! So are you guys German living in London -?
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

Karloff, you're ...Bavarian? Then you must know the old bavarian saying that a lawnmower is essentially a mute button, for most occasions. At least if you strap it to your chest, blades facing outwards, like in that Peter Jackson movie. Okay, it's not really a bavarian saying and I'm hijacking the thread....
11th July 2012
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

Couldn't care less as long as your funny Frans!
Lol.....
TLB
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search