Pearlman TM1 - which preamp/comp?
elektroglide
7th June 2006
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Head

Pearlman TM1 - which preamp/comp?

TM1 on its way... no high end preamp yet. What pre have you guys found to work well with male vocals (deep husky and close, and loud rawk singing). If I can use the same pre for mic'ing guitar amps and bass DI, then so much the better. I was looking at a Germanium... any first hand advice would be most welcome. And while we're at it, what about compressor to complete the chain. I know there are a zillion combinations possible, just wondered if anyone had noticed any spectacular combinations which put a smile on their face....

Last edited by elektroglide; 7th June 2006 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: forgot something!
7th June 2006
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektroglide
TM1 on its way... no high end preamp yet. What pre have you guys found to work well with male vocals (deep husky and close, and loud rawk singing). If I can use the same pre for mic'ing guitar amps and bass DI, then so much the better. I was looking at a Germanium... any first hand advice would be most welcome.
If you've got a high end tube mic, why not get a high end tube pre. Hamptone, UA, Fern, Tube-tec, etc...

Don,t get a cheap-ass IC -chip solid state pre with a token tube in it.

Entry level is gonna be a Groove Tubes Brick, and as you know you can spend STUPID money on extra slutty gear from Inward Connection, Fairman, and the like.

Consider a vintage piece such as an Ampex mx-10/ mx-35.

Compressor: LA2A or Pendulum OCL-2
7th June 2006
Old 7th June 2006
Gear maniac

try the vintec 1272's or hell go for real ones, you can totally use them for vocals and bass and guitars, drums whatever they all sound good through 1272's. as for a comp, you can't go wrong with an 1176.
8th June 2006
Old 8th June 2006
Gear addict

try portico 5012. I´m using this combination and sounds great.
I tried on avalon 737 and sound is very hi-fi.maybe for hip hop or some pop singers. a big surprise for me is Chamaleon labs 7602 sounds very good.lot of presece on mids. You can use eq if needed. Brent averill 1272 is a great combination too
8th June 2006
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

I have a pearlman---first off LOVE the thing. Dave is amazing!!

I have used the pearlman with some chandlers and say the LTD-1 is the way to go

I have also ran it thru a distressor, 1176, and tube tech cl1b for vocals

I like the tube tech the most with the pearlman.

My 2 cents
8th June 2006
Old 8th June 2006
Gear nut

Fearn

I run my Pearlman through a Fearn and Manley Elop combo, sometimes with a Tube tech EQ if needed. Tubes, tubes, tubes!!!! Big, beautiful sound and can be very intimate when singing close to the mic. Also, the Fearn does an amazing job for bass with a radial DI in front of it - really warm with plenty of clarity.

I don't do very much in the way of really aggressive rock vocals so I can't comment there.
8th June 2006
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Many say the A Designs Pacifica is a great match with the Pearlman. I don't have a Pearlman, but plan to get one soon. I DO have the Pacifica and it ROCKS. Something to bear in mind is that you don't always want to match a tube mic with a tube pre. Sometimes equals more noise than is optimal. The Pacifica is great.

8th June 2006
Old 8th June 2006

One of my clients uses the Aurora Audio GTQ2mkIII with an 1176.... He says it sounds incredible.
8th June 2006
Old 8th June 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektroglide
TM1 on its way... no high end preamp yet. What pre have you guys found to work well with male vocals (deep husky and close, and loud rawk singing).
API is nice for in your face screamers. Neve for a smoother sound. I've been using a Distressor in 6:1 mode, Attack: 2-3, Rel: .5-1.5
8th June 2006
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplancke
API is nice for in your face screamers. Neve for a smoother sound. I've been using a Distressor in 6:1 mode, Attack: 2-3, Rel: .5-1.5
I'm a big fan of API, I love mine so much that I want to use it in everything.
However I liked more my Demeter VTMP2b with the TM-1. For me API sounded a bit weak. Didn't bother me untill I compared both. But the API is much more open.
I have to try them in a mix. That's a true shoot out.

8th June 2006
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Is there anybody using the Pearlman in something else than vocals and overheads?
8th June 2006
Old 8th June 2006
Gear maniac

acoustic guitar
8th June 2006
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

The way to pick a preamp is to first think about what you want to achieve from it. There are a lot of great suggestions on here, and all are going to work more or less very well, but it's throwing darts in the dark so to speak. What do you want to HEAR from the preamp? How do you want it to change the microphone? Do you want it to be very clean and detailed with very little phase smear or distortion, or do you want lots of even order harmonic distortion, etc? And then from there do you want it soft and pillowy or hard and punchy? The list of adjectives goes on and on. Asking which preamp is best with any microphone is a lot like asking a room full of art students which color looks best next to aqua blue or salmon....you're going to get 100 answers and none of them are wrong. A Manley is a great preamp, an API is a great preamp, and they sound absolutely nothing alike, so how can they both be great for your specific application? Only you will be able to determine which is the right thing, and just because a preamp is 'great' in general doesn't make it great on the source you are recording. You also need more information than just a list of quality items, and that's going to take experience which is a slow and difficult road.
elektroglide
8th June 2006
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Head

that's the point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
Only you will be able to determine which is the right thing, and just because a preamp is 'great' in general doesn't make it great on the source you are recording. You also need more information than just a list of quality items, and that's going to take experience which is a slow and difficult road.
I intuitively know this... and agree with you. Challenge is, time and budget do not lend themselves right now to gaining the experience! If the items mentioned above (and many thanks to all the posters btw) give me a useful short list, then it can help me to get a good result quicker. My challenge is LACK of experience, and some starting points do help. Your comments about specifically what sonic differences I want to hear are all really relevant - thing is I can't even tell yet until I hear some of the more obvious differences! I know I want my voice to sound very "intimate", "organic" "big" and "present" when close micing - some weight with some air (but not in Brauner hyped hifi territory), and powerful, organic and yet present when singing louder, and since i don't have any other pro pre at the moment, some versatility with guitars and bass would also be great. I suspect I should arrange for simultaneous audition in my studio of a short list of pre's which others have found work well with this mic, and which fit in the same territory price-wise (compared to the range of other pre's, not compared to the actual price of the mic), then see which one floats my boat - and do the testing with an experienced engineer present.

any other suggestions, please feel free - if a couple of items keep coming up as recommended with the TM1, it'll give more weight to the advisability of auditioning them. Equally, if folks have found that certain combinations (eg Germanium) are probably not going to be among the better choices - primarily for a voice which is deep and resonant but not hugely characterful, but which can hopefully cover the guitar/bass as well - that'll help too. I'm relying on the testing experience of you guys to get me started! Even if the in the final analysis, I'll be making the decision based on what I hear...

thanks for your help - I appreciate it.
8th June 2006
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

I am using Pacifica with my Pearlman. I also have Avalon 737 but the Pacifica is so much better for the Pearlman.

Kalli
8th June 2006
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

i'm gonna go with the pearlman over the peluso 2257Le with a pacifica and distressor...
birthday gift to myself for my studio
2nd May 2013
Old 2nd May 2013
Lives for gear

Wow, old thread...

So, I'm in the middle of an exchange with someone for a Pacifica and I'm probably going to sell my Daking IV Pre to try and fund a Pearlman TM-1.

Anybody still liking with combo?
2nd May 2013
Old 2nd May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
Wow, old thread...

So, I'm in the middle of an exchange with someone for a Pacifica and I'm probably going to sell my Daking IV Pre to try and fund a Pearlman TM-1.

Anybody still liking with combo?
Don't see how this can be bad. The Pearlman is a very nice sounding mic, period.
2nd May 2013
Old 2nd May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Don't see how this can be bad. The Pearlman is a very nice sounding mic, period.
Awesome, hopefully things go smoothly and I can get this pairing into Ear Candy sooner than later to start enjoying. In what scenario was it that you heard the TM-1?
2nd May 2013
Old 2nd May 2013

The Pacifica tends to push the upper mids a bit too much. I don't particularly like it on vocals. But, others might feel differently.

Years ago, I quickly tried the Daking pre with the Pearlman, but I ended up using a channel from the API 3124 instead on that particular singer.

I would go for something like the Aurora GTQ (which has long been a favorite of mine), or maybe a BAE 312a. I've personally confirmed my clients thoughts in regards to the GTQ... That was seven years ago. WOW, I need to quit posting. Been on here almost ten years.
2nd May 2013
Old 2nd May 2013
Pearlman - 1073 - distressor is my go to vocal chain 90% of the time.
2nd May 2013
Old 2nd May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
The Pacifica tends to push the upper mids a bit too much. I don't particularly like it on vocals. But, others might feel differently.

Years ago, I quickly tried the Daking pre with the Pearlman, but I ended up using a channel from the API 3124 instead on that particular singer.

I would go for something like the Aurora GTQ (which has long been a favorite of mine), or maybe a BAE 312a. I've personally confirmed my clients thoughts in regards to the GTQ... That was seven years ago. WOW, I need to quit posting. Been on here almost ten years.
LOL - Nah, your opinions are always valuable info that helps piece the whole puzzle together. I agree with the Daking, a bit too much upper mid stuff going on for most things. The Pacifica, however, hmm, the times I've heard it, I just always pictured wanting to try it with a TM1 being that it's not as bright as other mics. I mean, I've also got a Burl B1 and a 1272, which are both fantastic and wouldn't have the upper mid push in comparison to the Pacifica. I'm excited about the Pacifica's top end and mids to be honest. I hear it's fantastic on overheads...
2nd May 2013
Old 2nd May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Pearlman - 1073 - distressor is my go to vocal chain 90% of the time.
Gotcha, so you hear things with the Pearlman the same way Tony does. Wow, sounds like I might end up using my 1272 for vocals more than I thought...btw, what other pres have you tried it on that sound good for Rock vocals(daughtry, nickelback)...and, would you use it for a pop vocals track? If so, which pre would you lean towards?
2nd May 2013
Old 2nd May 2013
my go to for vocals with my TM1 is a ADL 600 into a CL1b.
2nd May 2013
Old 2nd May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
my go to for vocals with my TM1 is a ADL 600 into a CL1b.
Wow, that's a lot of tube...would you switch it up for more aggressive pop/rock vocals or would the chain stay the same?
3rd May 2013
Old 3rd May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
Is there anybody using the Pearlman in something else than vocals and overheads?
saxophone.
3rd May 2013
Old 3rd May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
Wow, that's a lot of tube...would you switch it up for more aggressive pop/rock vocals or would the chain stay the same?
I would only switch the combo if it wasn't the sound that we were looking for on the vocal. The ADL is pretty Hi Fi, and the CL1b is pretty magical. I f I wanted something edgier I could use API's or Dakings but I've yet to find a need to change that chain. I might change the mic, I have a hot rodded AR-51 that JJ Audio did some improvements and swapped out the capsule with a Tim Campbell CT12.
3rd May 2013
Old 3rd May 2013
Gear Head

I have a pearlman that I ran into a P1 and it was a good combo...but the P1 does have a mid range push which sounded good with my pearlman but even better with my u87. I also liked it going into my API then to my SSL compressor
3rd May 2013
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post

Yeah, I guess I'm one of the 'others'. I use the TM1 into my ADesigns P1 most of the time because I like that upper midrange push it seems to give. Mind you, my voice is on the lower side of things, so having a little extra 'zazz' in the 3k range helps intelligibility for TV mixes...

I also have a Peluso 2247LE which is a bit brighter than the TM1, so I tend not to combine the Peluso and the P1 pre -- too aggressive up top.

Guess it depends on the source (shocking!), but I really love the Pearlman/P1 combo for lots of things.

3rd May 2013
Old 3rd May 2013
Gear addict

Pearlman => SCA N72 => CL-1B. Often!

jB
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search