VINTECH X73 OR X73I ?

I'M ABOUT TO PURCHASE A PAIR OF VINTECH'S
X73I'S ARE A COUPLE HUNDRED LESS
HAS ANYONE HEARD BOTH ?
I KNOW THE EQ HAS MORE MID BANDS ON THE 73I
ANY REAL DIFFERENCE IN SOUND ?
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

i'd like to know this as well. i'm looking into getting one of these puppies.
Old 5th June 2006
Gear maniac

I had my eye on the X73i myself. Do they come with the power supply or are they sold separately?
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

I've got a couple of X73i's and I think they're great. If you want a Neve, buy a Neve but these pre's do a good solid "thick" thing if that's what you're looking for. And the added e.q. points come in handy to boot. I have an extra power supply (like new) that I'll let go cheap if you want to save some money when you throw down for these guys.
TommyD
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashadrm@hotmai
I'M ABOUT TO PURCHASE A PAIR OF VINTECH'S
X73I'S ARE A COUPLE HUNDRED LESS
HAS ANYONE HEARD BOTH ?
I KNOW THE EQ HAS MORE MID BANDS ON THE 73I
ANY REAL DIFFERENCE IN SOUND ?

1) The preamps sound the same when comparing the units to each other, at identical gain settings.

2) The EQ's sound the same at the same frequency points

3) The X73i has more EQ points in the mids, less in the highs. The X73 has more points in the highs, and less in the mids.

4) The X73i (yes the less expensive unit) has impedance switching (300 or 1200 ohms), the X73 is set permanently @ 1200ohms. 1200 ohms sounds more open and airy in general, 300 ohms sounds more focused and thicker.

5) Both units use the same external PSU that is required to use the units. The PSU is not 'included', as there are already some people who own a Vintech and a PSU, and don't need another PSU.

6) One Vintech PSU can run approx 3-4 of either unit, or any combination of them.
Old 5th June 2006
Gear maniac

Great info, Nathan! Thanks...I've been wondering about this myself. I've got the 73i and am very happy with it doing what it does. From what you just posted I'd say that, for me, I made the better choice. I like the impedance switching and I've never not found "the sound" with the eq as it is.

Now that I think about it, the choice was made for me since I bought it secondhand. I have wondered a few times since about the 73 and the difference between the two.
Old 5th June 2006
Gear maniac

FWIW, if you are going to be recording drums, Vintech recommends not running more than two units per power supply, due to the transients and headroom issues. I've got four X73i's and run them with two seperate power supplies.

Mark Cattano
Magneto Studios
www.heedmusic.com
www.myspace.com/markcattano
Old 5th June 2006
Gear addict

X73i is my only preamp.
I like it!
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cattano
FWIW, if you are going to be recording drums, Vintech recommends not running more than two units per power supply, due to the transients and headroom issues. I've got four X73i's and run them with two seperate power supplies.

Mark Cattano
Magneto Studios
www.heedmusic.com
Hi Mark,

Actually, I think you may have heard the information about our power supplies from some other source. Our 24volt power supply is rated for 1.2 amps under ideal conditions. If you de-rate the maximum current output to say 0.8 amps, then you still have about twice the required amperage to power four single channel 1073 style circuits. You shouldn't have any problem powering four X73i's with one of our power supplies.

Thanks,
Dallas Upton
Vintech Audio
Old 6th June 2006
Gear maniac

I am selling my x73i w/ power supply, it's new as of a month ago, I've onlly used it for a couple of hours. I just need the money....... If anyone is interested. PM me, I will be putting it up on ebay in the next few days. Thanks
Old 6th June 2006
rcn
Gear nut

I have the Vintech 273 (it's the 2 channel version of the 73 w/eq) not only does it rock, but it's the best deal around and I have a good selection of pre's..

Rob
Old 6th June 2006
Gear maniac

Hey Dallas

Yeah, I can't remember where I actually heard about the power supply issue when recording drums, but I remember ordering the second power supply. Oh well, since I've got the power, I guess I'll just have to buy two more channels of Vintech for my new studio! They really are great sounding pre's, and the build quality is top-notch. I love my Vintechs...

Mark Cattano
Magneto Studios
www.heedmusic.com
Old 16th September 2008
Gear interested

Vintech Power Supply

Hey Dallas,

I just bought a 473 with a power supply and I am completely blown away with how great it sounds. I use it to track drums. I have 3 other power outlets on my power supply. Can I squeeze a couple of X81s on there (if I ever have the money), or should I keep the 473 by itself on its own power supply?

Thanks for your help! I love my Vintech!

Jake Caldwell

Caldwell Sound Studio
Old 9th October 2010
Gear addict

It sounds like the x73i is a better deal than the x73...

Why is the i version cheaper?
Old 9th October 2010
Lives for gear

From using both. I say go for the X73i. Better deal. However both are nice. X73i has the ohm switch as well. X73 doesn't.

Comes in handy when recording with a mic.
Old 9th October 2010
Lives for gear

I may be wrong...but I thought that the X73i uses surface mount technology to bring what is basically the same pre in at a cheaper price point.
Can anyone confirm this?
Old 9th October 2010
Lives for gear

I dont think that is the case, its cheaper controls (non very expensive dual concentric pots)
Old 9th October 2010
Gear maniac

"I may be wrong...but I thought that the X73i uses surface mount technology to bring what is basically the same pre in at a cheaper price point.
Can anyone confirm this?"

I believe the VinTech ad in Sweetwater refers to hand built verses surface mount as the main difference between the units.
Old 9th October 2010
Lives for gear

Vintech x73 or x73i ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc184c

Hi Mark,

Actually, I think you may have heard the information about our power supplies from some other source. Our 24volt power supply is rated for 1.2 amps under ideal conditions. If you de-rate the maximum current output to say 0.8 amps, then you still have about twice the required amperage to power four single channel 1073 style circuits. You shouldn't have any problem powering four X73i's with one of our power supplies.

Thanks,
Dallas Upton
Vintech Audio
Hi Dallas

Your final comment, in my experience, is only partly true.

Whereas the 1073 may take around 120mA when normal running, making 800mA fine for four modules, in reality the start up surge as the big electrolytics charge up take many times the normal current, even if only for a few seconds, and can be enough to trip out the overcurrent protection in an IC regulator.

There is no substitute for adequate power supply headroom as another Neve cloner found to his cost a few years back!

Sent from my iPhone
Old 9th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcal View Post
I dont think that is the case, its cheaper controls (non very expensive dual concentric pots)
This is correct, it uses pots (greyhill) instead of expensive hand wired switches (Elma). That's a big difference in the parts prices and the labor.
Old 6th April 2011
Gear Head

Well, one would think that the more expensive process of hand wiring would be justified by the difference in sound! or does it? is anyone yet to hear the difference between the x73 and x73i ?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search