How are y'all buying new music?
New Reply
Subscribe
Flymax
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

How are y'all buying new music?

Not sure if this is high end but I do want info from high end posters.

Buying vinyl?
Ordering CDs?
Downloading?
From whom?!?!?!
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

I'm ordering CDs.
Mostly Amazon.

Downloads.... no.

R.
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Gear nut

High end posters? Hm, whatever:

Vinyl from Record Stores (independent or large chain store) or flea market (older releases)

iTunes

no CDs for years
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Gear nut

I was going itunes for a while, but have determined Apple/itunes are bad for the industry - do not respect the artist or the music business in general but rather use the industry to sell hardware.

Back to buying CD's in the stores or Amazon; sure wish there was an online store other than itunes with a large catalog.
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

CD's forever
RiF
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
RiF
Lives for gear

Mostly vinyl lately. It'a great that some come with a free Mp3 download (Pink Floyd, Lana Del Rey).
CDs only if they're cheap.
Just a few downloads for things that aren't worth anything for me or where I just care about a single song.
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

CDs here.
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Gear maniac

CD's, Vinyl and Cassette Tape yes, quite a few cassette releases recently from the US and Japan, most come with a digital download link, like the vinyl does), mostly purchased at shows directly from bands or ordered from them over the web.

28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Gear addict

I listen to the french streaming site Qobuz - they stream in CD-quality, so there is really no reason to buy CDs anymore, from my standpoint. I can't stand listening to Spotify etc anymore, after having everything available as Hi-Fi streams. I haven't gotten around to buying a record player - since my last one bit the dust 15-20 years ago - but I keep telling myself "next week".
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Gear maniac

CDs here. A few downloads, but only free downloads (not torrents) and download only releases (mainly local bands).
Bought a couple of vinyls too.

This is a very good idea and it costs the artist nothing more to do:
Quote:
It'a great that some come with a free Mp3 download
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to NathanEldred
It depends on the album. If they have a large catalog and I really only like a portion of their songs I'll do itunes and pick out songs (I did this with Iron & Wine last with about 20 songs), if its something I can't live without most or all of the album (like a lot of classic jazz) then CDs. If I was rich I'd have a wall of vinyl with a record player that costs thousands of dollars, but I'm not and don't.
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

Buy music ? Hehh ?
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Lambrechts View Post
Buy music ? Hehh ?
Ha! I was wondering how long it would take before someone said it.
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
CD's forever
Or 2012.

My understanding is this will be the final year the majors release CDs.

As to how I buy? After years of mail ordering CDs (since or Tower closed)...I've mostly given up. Big releases, I'll go down the street and buy it at the Best Buy...ones not available there 90% of my taste) I get from AmazonMP3 or iTunes--whichever is cheaper at the moment. I HATE paying $10 for compressed files. I then have to burn to play on the big system...eh...Anyway-then at the end of the year, albums I LOVE, I'll mail order the CD--or ask for them for Xmas. So buy them AGAIN.

I recently bought the new Bonnie Raitt twice. CD on the day of release...then I found the 88.2 masters available on www.hdtracks.com -love it. Still, what a PIA...download most of an evening...author a DVD-A...then I can listen. And the PDF booklet? Glad I had the CD cover/book.

I have always said they should have two formats--cheap downloads like AAC/MP3...for the "cassette market" 80%...and SACD/DVDA physical discs for People who actually care. Oh, well...
Older archives:
My work--now available in linear PCM for download!
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Gear nut

Stealing is uncool under any circumstance...but especially if you profess to love what you're stealing!
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear Guru

iTunes

I am beginning to appreciate the ability to preview the songs and pick a few, instead of buying a whole album,

I think I continue to listen to these selected songs longer than I used to listen to full albums that only partially engaged me.

The only CDs I buy anymore are at The Table in the Back - after the show. There are no more record stores in my county and I don't have the patience to mail-order things

“What you ask about is music. What you like is sound. Now music and sound are akin, but they are not the same.”
— Confucius
Flymax
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Do you guys think the record business will start offering a higher res format to replace mp3s?
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flymax View Post
Do you guys think the record business will start offering a higher res format to replace mp3s?
I'm still buying CDs. I wish they'd offer lossless compression (FLAC or something like that).
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Ion wrangler

The ones I really care about, I'll buy the vinyl- in the past year; things like Wilco, Black Keys, Fleet Foxes that I can see spinning a lot. For more casual listening, I'll just buy it on iTunes. When I see a band live that I want to support, I'll still buy a CD and keep it in the car.

www.corinashley.com
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnukleHead View Post
Stealing is uncool under any circumstance...but especially if you profess to love what you're stealing!
Here's the list of music I've stolen:

Anyway, when I really like an album, I get it on iTunes for instant gratification, and often will order the CD as well for long term enjoyment. Yes, I buy it twice.. but it's not as expensive as you might think, for there are not that many new albums I think are excellent enough to purchase in the first place.

I would really dig high-res formats for download, I mean, aren't we past the need for MP3's yet?
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Primarily CD and I'll transfer them to FLAC for my phone if I need. Many of the newer re-masters are too molested so I sometimes go with older CDs.
Some albums only sound correct on vinyl so I'll buy a lot of old soul, blues and gospel records on vinyl, along with a few others like Yes, Joni Mitchel, Grandmaster Flash, etc.

Tube information and sales: ProAudioTubes@aol.com
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahurts View Post
I would really dig high-res formats for download, I mean, aren't we past the need for MP3's yet?
I'm with you.
I don't buy many CD's. I download paid for digital from Beatport, and occasionally from iTunes. But the lower quality and gaps in catalog at iTunes really bugs me.
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear maniac

I'm still buying new CDs, mail order.
but...
I still send back CDs as a "defect" if there is noticable clipping, or less than 12db of dynamic range. I've been sending more back albums than I've kept the past couple of years.

If you're going to distort and crush your music, I'm not going to pay for it. Simple.
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
I'm still buying new CDs, mail order.
but...
I still send back CDs as a "defect" if there is noticable clipping, or less than 12db of dynamic range. I've been sending more back albums than I've kept the past couple of years.

If you're going to distort and crush your music, I'm not going to pay for it. Simple.
Never heard someone doing that before. Havent decided yet if I find it a great idea or unfair though
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear interested

Spotify! Look no further!
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Telling it like it is

CDs.

Regards,
Frank
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

CD's for me. Not many. My last CD was Bang Pow Boom by the Insane Clown Posse. I bought all three colors on release day and skipped the nuclear edition.

My next CD purchase will be the Mighty Death Pop by the Insane Clown Posse, which I'm very excited about because this time all 3 colors come with decent exclusives. A complete bonus album for each. So 6 CDs for the price of 3 plus that release week discount.

I rarely download music. As a low income artist I can only afford to sell my own music through digital distros. Most people are picky of sound quality so I have all of my releases on Band Camp for streaming. This way people can fully sample what they buy from me.

Did I mention I'm very excited to get my copy of the Mighty Death Pop. :-D

Sent from my LG-P925 using Gearslutz App
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear Head

A dream I had... My phone had a good 24bit 192khz dac, and amazon music app sold flac in the same quality as the guys who made the album used, except tape of course, gotta keep my phone small. But for real I've been buying amazon's mp3's, its easy to buy from my phone and play through the aux in on my jeep, also can move the file to my computer easy. I just used hdtracks for the first time last week and I like what they're doing, maybe if I support them the catalog will grow? I'll buy cds if its great and its not on hdtracks but CD's scratch to easy so let's move to flash drives but I don't want lossey formats!

Gearslutz App
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
A dream I had... My phone had a good 24bit 192khz dac, and amazon music app sold flac in the same quality as the guys who made the album used, except tape of course, gotta keep my phone small.
Love it! Something like that in the future would be great.
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

a mix of CD's and iTunes for the convenience...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search