Beyerdynamic M160 -- hissing beast?
New Reply
Subscribe
Sunn Ra
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Head

Beyerdynamic M160 -- hissing beast?

I've seen the subject breifly touched upon, but I'd really appreciate a little more detail into why my M160's sound like they're recording a faucet (albiet very prettily). I realize that ribbons have a relatively low gain-structure, so will a good preamp in-and-of-itself take care of the problem? If so any recommendations? (Additionaly) What about distance-from-source? For reference I'm using these as overheads and amp mics, primarily. Thanks for your time!
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

What pre? My pair of 160s are really
Quiet even in high gain (violin) recording.
Sunn Ra
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Head

Really? Dang. Maybe I have defective mics?
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Geariophile

Sounds like they are revealing your preamp's limits .........
Sunn Ra
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Head

I didn't mean to imply that I even had a good preamp. 'Was actually part of my question (for the record I've tried the groovetubes brick, my only pre). Will a good'n solve my problem, assuming these mics aren't, indeed, defective?
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunn Ra View Post
I didn't mean to imply that I even had a good preamp. 'Was actually part of my question (for the record I've tried the groovetubes brick, my only pre). Will a good'n solve my problem, assuming these mics aren't, indeed, defective?
I'd say definitely, assuming indeed they are not defective. Medium quality valve pre might be a bit stressed to go up to the clean gain you need.
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

A good preamp will make you throw 80 dB gain on a ribbon listening to whisper quiet instruments, then you apply a treble lift, compress to taste .... and still hear no noise, no hiss, nothing but the instrument.
Contrary to popular belief, this is also true for tube preamps, good ones.
GS fun: people who can't drive ask other people who can't drive if they should buy a 12 ton truck or a BMW. Then ask somebody from Berlin (with a map of Moscow) for the way to the train station in Hongkong. Somebody stresses the importance of grabbing the steering wheel with one hand only, as Bruce Swedien was reported to have done that 1986, while reversing into his driveway.
If want to check some tasteful piece of art I was involved, here: https://soundcloud.com/frans_13/organtransplant
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunn Ra View Post
the groovetubes pre has a tube in it yes? do other mics seem noisy using the same pre?
where is the knob on the pre?
if you are using ridiculous (knob all the way up) gain on the pre - that is probably where the noise is coming from.
is that the only preamp you have?
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Gear maniac

There is Cloudlifter, I occasionally use that is inserted between the mic and preamp that will significantly increase gain output from the mic using phantom power. You might want to try it out, until you get your hands on a high quality preamp.

Certainly not a substitute for a better preamp, but a good little tool for the studio.
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

I would check with a different pre. Mine are dead quiet.
Sunn Ra
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Head

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, much appreciated. Suppose I'll have to invest in a good pre (and I'll look into the cloudlifter -- thanks chaos). And yeah, balanceman, it's the only preamp I have. I use it for a bass di -- sounds great -- but it really has yet to relieve my hissage in the ribbon department. Have tried the knob at every available position, to answer your question. Not a lotta luck.
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Dynamics and ribbons shouldn't create any noise at all should they? If there are no active electronics in them how can there be self-noise? Just wondering...
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

A properly functioning Beyer M160 is no hissing beast!

As has been said, either your mic is defective or your preamp is inadequate or perhaps even your gain structure going into your DAW is not calibrated correctly?

· Use your real name - keep Gearslutz authoritative, accountable and courteous.
· Stop the superlatives madness - just say no to gear threads with the word 'best' in the title.
· Words or WAVs? The former are interesting, the latter are convincing.
· Author of the unofficial GEARSLUTZ APPLICATION FORM
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Gear maniac

I've heard a m160 with a damaged ribbon, and it had some top end hissing.
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Gear interested

Not all M160's are equals

Hello,

I've heard dramatic difference between M160, much more than with any other mic I used.
Some are hissy, some are not. Some sound incredible, some don't.

ricordu
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDW View Post
Dynamics and ribbons shouldn't create any noise at all should they? If there are no active electronics in them how can there be self-noise? Just wondering...
True
10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
Gear interested

i just purchased an M160 and used in in two sessions in the past couple of weeks. I found this mic to be very quiet through my Cranesong Spider. I had it turned all the way up at both stages with no clipping when recording acoustic guitar. There WAS a lot of hiss to get this mic hot on acoustic guitar. But when I recorded a bari sax through my LA610 with a pretty good amount of gain and compression, it sounded awesome. Wouldn't criticize the my cranesong at all, but this my I feel is more suited to loud sources. Gonna try it on electric guitar this week. I bought it for horns and electric guitar.
10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
Gear interested

sorry ..lots of typos
10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinjames View Post
sorry ..lots of typos
Typos are the human equivalent of a hissing mic.
10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
Lives for gear

I once had a pair of old 160's that with the DIN/Tuchel connector + switch and they were so erratic, different sounding and different in volume I finally gave them away, that was in the 90s, way before the internet and all the information. One also was more noisy. You need a really good pre to get the sound out of them that earned these mics their praise, but if yours is broken, no preamp will help you.
10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDW View Post
The noise source is thermal noise which is depending on the resistance of the transformer winding and ribbon element of the M160 - which is extremely low hence low hiss. Dynamics suffer the same problem, but have a higher coil resistance than ribbons. But then ribbons have a lower output voltage so you need more gain for a comparable signal. That again will boost thermal noise.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search