recalling analouge mix
New Reply
Subscribe
lowswing
27th May 2006
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

recalling analouge mix

I'm recording digitally but when it came to mixing i run each idividual instrument on its own output and mix them on the mixingdesk with outboard equipment.
the only problem is that i didn't find yet a good way to be abale to recall these mixes in case i need to re-mix or correct a mix.
my console is d&r and i don't use any fader automation.
how do you do it?
www.lowswing.de
27th May 2006
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

lowswing
27th May 2006
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

thanks!
I'm doing this for years and always write all details by hand, it take a hour
in my last project i needed to recall one song, the mix was great, the voice sound was amazing but the a&r suggested the guitar hook should be 1db louder.
so i put all fader in place as i wrote it and the mix was there in 30min that was good enough for the a&r but for me , i missed the great voc sound, till now i don't know what was the difference, 0.001db on the fader? the tube compressor sound different when it 4hours on rather than 10? 1 degree on the treshhold knob?
that's why i like to do mixes one and for all
27th May 2006
Old 27th May 2006

there is no other way than to keep a detailed log
a digital camera might help, fadersettings, eq etc. etc.

for sale EURORACK MODULAR CASE

27th May 2006
Old 27th May 2006
Gear maniac

a digital camera works well, as well as recall sheets, you can download a bunch at bary rudolph's website, but honestly if you have to fully recall a mix, its because something is wrong and just re-approach it. but in the case of having to reprint with something 1 db louder, maybe consider printing steams of anything you think might need to raise, i've seen people do stems for kick, snare, drums minus kick and snare, bass, rhythm guitars, lead guitars, all guitars, lead vocals, backup vocals, and percussion stems, so if you worry that you have the best mix ever but might need to change something minorally, just print a stem of that one thing, otherwise print multiple mix's, bass up drums down, vocal up, i generally like to print a vocal up 1-2.5db a bass up 1db, and if i can i'll generally do one more alternate mix with either guitars up or down or drums....but thats if you wana be anal
28th May 2006
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send the Post fade outputs to PT HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowswing
thanks!
in my last project i needed to recall one song, the mix was great, the voice sound was amazing but the a&r suggested the guitar hook should be 1db louder.
so i put all fader in place as i wrote it and the mix was there in 30min that was good enough for the a&r but for me , i missed the great voc sound, till now i don't know what was the difference, 0.001db on the fader? the tube compressor sound different when it 4hours on rather than 10? 1 degree on the treshhold knob?
Total recall sorted.
Regards.•:*¨¨*:•. ¸¸.•´¯`•.Mark Fairfax-Harwood, Engineer Springvale Studios
28th May 2006
Old 28th May 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowswing
thanks!
why didn;t you present the same mix and "said" : your right i've put it 1db louder and it sounds much better this way, they all fall for it..
28th May 2006
Old 28th May 2006
Gear maniac

I use a digital camera, take notes and everything, but a recall always sounds a bit different...first reason being my perspective has changed by the time I recall the mix, and it's nearly impossible to perfectly match every settings.
I also do stems, it's time consumming but that's a good safety.
28th May 2006
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to dokushoka
The problem with stems is that they don't work right if you're mixing into a compressor.
28th May 2006
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

i work on alot of different projects and DAWs have been a godsend with total recall in 5-10 seconds.

this is definately the downside of using outboard & non-recallable analog consoles w/ DAWs.

had a project mixed at a studio in LA last year and he used outboard w/ his daw as well as EQ from small console. 2 weeks later we needed to bring that mix up and change one move and it did not sound anywhere near the same mix we had originally.
28th May 2006
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokushoka
The problem with stems is that they don't work right if you're mixing into a compressor.
That's why you have to take the compressor off when printing the stems...
28th May 2006
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to dokushoka
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloocproducer
That's why you have to take the compressor off when printing the stems...
If you're mixing on an analog console, that would mean that you have to pull your stereo stems back out of PT (or whatever) and bring them up on stereo pairs on the desk to get them back into the comp. I don't like the extra stage of conversion. I just print multiple versions of the mix, do a full documentation with digital photos as backup, snap shot the faders, then, try to make sure the client is there to approve the thing!
29th May 2006
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Location: Farmingville (NOT FarmVille or Farmingdale!) Long Island
My Studio

I know a guy working w/ a analog desk and daw and he just opens up a track and grabs a mic and reads it out. takes pretty much the same time to recall while listening back. pretty clever actually. maybe that w/ some dig camera pics and you're good to go. . .
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search