How do you Erase on a Studer a80?
Audiofunnnnn
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear interested

How do you Erase on a Studer a80?

I know its a simple stupid question, but I need to know. My friend just bought one of these and we got everything figured out except how to erase. Yes I know I should hire some one to show me and things like this are not for amatures, so please spare me the lectures and just help me out please!

Thank you very much
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

I'll play.
You re-record over it without any input...!
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

For optimal results use a degausser / bulk eraser

Matti
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post

Matti
+1
There are no erase button so just record without feeding the sounds.
Or use de-gause but make sure you don't have any variable recorded materiasl near it.

Note that many professionals won't use pre recorded tape twice.
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Gear addict

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofunnnnn View Post
I know its a simple stupid question, but I need to know. My friend just bought one of these and we got everything figured out except how to erase. Yes I know I should hire some one to show me and things like this are not for amatures, so please spare me the lectures and just help me out please!

Thank you very much
Do you mean "Spot Erase"?
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
member no 666

Quote:

Matti
Which works well enough for 1/4" and even 1/2" but rarely well enough for 2" [unless you feel like rotating a reel for a couple of hours by hand].

If all you want to do in erasure, disconnecting the record head and running the tape over the erase head will give you a "bias free" erasure that will essentially net you "virgin" tape [on condition that your tape path is set up correctly].

Peace
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Well, we used those for 35mm magnetic film for film industry, daily as anybody else in the industry -and rotating the reel for some 30 seconds and then lifting it away from the field still rotating it

Matti
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Which works well enough for 1/4" and even 1/2" but rarely well enough for 2" [unless you feel like rotating a reel for a couple of hours by hand].

If all you want to do in erasure, disconnecting the record head and running the tape over the erase head will give you a "bias free" erasure that will essentially net you "virgin" tape [on condition that your tape path is set up correctly].

Peace
Great tip Fletcher!
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Another tip would be to do it twice and turn the reel as that should minimize the slight
miss adjustments of the head as multitracks don't have full width erase head for obvious reasons ;-)

Matti
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Another tip would be to do it twice and turn the reel as that should minimize the slight
miss adjustments of the head as multitracks don't have full width erase head for obvious reasons ;-)

Matti
You mean to do a second pass turning the reel upside down?
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Yep, as it would cancel the slight displacement of the tracks although the erase head has slightly wider track width than the recording head, I tend to think -correct me if wrong
But if bulk eraser is not available that would erase more if you get what I´m trying to say

Matti
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
member no 666

Yes, you can turn the reel upside down and do it again... but if your tape path is setup correctly you'll actually be erasing the same tracks you already erased... and [not that its that significant with one reel of tape... but] you'll be adding hours to the transport while decreasing your head life [unnecessarily].

If you're erasing a 24 track tape on a 16 track machine you will indeed miss some of the recorded information [tracks 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20 & 23]... while if you're erasing a 16 track tape with a 24 track machine you will indeed miss a bit of the information on either side of the previously recorded tracks.

The good news is that once you erase a reel on the machine on which that reel will be used... it doesn't matter if there is any other information on the tape from another session... you will NEVER hear it so long as you stay on the same machine... or are using another machine with a properly set up tape path.

Peace
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Agreed

Matti
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search