Connecting Burl B2 bomber to Mac Pro
New Reply
Subscribe
TwistTurner
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Gear Head

Connecting Burl B2 bomber to Mac Pro

I am going to do some upgrading in my mostly all analog studio, so I'm a little confused by all this digital stuff. The only thing I use a computer for other than email is I have been mixing down to 2 track on the computer in the last 3 or 4 years. I seriously hate the sound of my Apogee Rosetta converters so I've gotta make a change.

My plan is to upgrade to the Burl B2 ADC and DAC converters, at the same time I intend to upgrade my current studio computer from a PC to a Mac Pro, and while I'm at it I'm going to get Pro tools just to mess around with and see what all the fuss is about.

While looking at the burls I realized I have no idea how to get the audio into or out of the Mac Pro (or any computer for that matter), and to make matters worse from what I understand the Burl comes with no manual.

So what are my options to hook these up?
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Gear addict

Well, your cheapest option would be to connect the spdif i/o on your mac pro to the spdif in and outs on both the DAC and ADC. you would need a simple lightpipe to coaxial converter. However, this is not recommended because of poor clocking from the mac pro (I believe) and I've heard that you can't simultaneously run in and out on spdif from the mac pro.

Another option would be to grab either an RME HDSPe AIO to use via spdif or an RME HDSPe RayDAT to use via spdif or AES. You can also use an RME HDSPe AES or a Lynx AES16. You'll need breakout cables for each of these. These (I believe) are the only options available to use with AES.

Hope this helps
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Gear addict

I'd recommend a fireface 400. I used to connect directly to macbookpro's spdif, but it kept loosing sync. Works flawlessly thru fireface.
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistTurner View Post

is there some kind of AES to firewire device available?
YES.

Weiss INT203 FireWire - AES/EBU - S/PDIF Interface In/Out.

It's interfacing any digital audio equipment with a AES/EBU or S/PDIF input / output to a computer.

You can probably use any FireWire or Usb interface with AES/EBU or Spdif I/Os.

Have a good time with Burl.
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Lives for gear

RME AES32, Lynx AES16. better to avoid firewire.
TwistTurner
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Gear Head

Thanks for the help guys I'm clueless when it comes to digital.

I think I've decided to go with the Lynx AES16e, it sounds like it will do exactly what I need and if I ever need to use the other 14 channels to record directly to the computer, all i'd need is 14 more channels of converters!!!
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistTurner View Post
Thanks for the help guys I'm clueless when it comes to digital.

I think I've decided to go with the Lynx AES16e, it sounds like it will do exactly what I need and if I ever need to use the other 14 channels to record directly to the computer, all i'd need is 14 more channels of converters!!!

m-m-m-mothership???
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Lives for gear

yes, sadly the lynx is the solution i would use. AES is a professional format and no one has been interested in solutions for small studio setups that aren't expensive or waste-of-input bridges. Burl is missing the boat on not offering another output, such as usb - the market is much larger than massive old school studio style budgets that don't need huge PT IO or AES 16.

Lavry learned this on its 2ch offerings (AD-10 to AD-11) and Benchmark (ADC1 to ADC1 USB) etc. I suspect Burl will get with the program when they wise up .
16th May 2012
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear

In a similar situation. I didn't like Rosetta either. I'm sending it to apogee for repairs. Once its fixed, my plan is to get a burl just the adc for now and connect to digital in of the Rosetta and FireWire into my MacBook pro. Conversion and clock from burl, while using the Rosetta as a FireWire interface.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search