Old 20th April 2012
Gear nut

ADL670

Hey everybody,

In the postproduction facility I am currently following an internship they have bought an ADL670. It's an amazing piece of equipment! The question I've got is this: in the plugin the lat-vert setting of the compressor is supposed to be some sort of mid/side processing.

In the real deal hardware it was a automatic gain control function used for vinyl mastering and controlling the lateral and vertical movement of the needle... But we are trying to figure out how this setting works and how to use it while mixing.

Are there people around here who own or use an ADL670 on regular basis and know how the LAT/VERT setting works?

Thanks!
Old 20th April 2012
Gear maniac

If its like a real fairchild, it puts the unit into M/S mode with the top set of controls affects the M channel, and bottom, the S channel. With the inputs about the same on each channel and the threshold set low, then raise the threshold of just the top channel, thereby mashing the audio and see what happens the the stereo image.
Old 20th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwick View Post
If its like a real fairchild, it puts the unit into M/S mode with the top set of controls affects the M channel, and bottom, the S channel. With the inputs about the same on each channel and the threshold set low, then raise the threshold of just the top channel, thereby mashing the audio and see what happens the the stereo image.
Exactly, though on the ADL the left channel is Mid and the right is Side.
Old 20th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigri View Post
The question I've got is this: in the plugin the lat-vert setting of the compressor is supposed to be some sort of mid/side processing.

In the real deal hardware it was a automatic gain control function used for vinyl mastering and controlling the lateral and vertical movement of the needle... But we are trying to figure out how this setting works and how to use it while mixing.
It's the same thing because vinyl is recorded in MID/SIDE, or SUM/MINUS. Put simply, the lateral needle movement reproduces the SUM and the vertical needle movement reproduces the MINUS part of the stereo signal on a record.

If you use it in LAT/VERT mode on the 2-bus, I advise using caution not to cause unwanted shifts in the stereo width of the mix. I have not found SUM/MINUS compression to be very useful when compressing mixes, but YMMV.

Nice looking piece - enjoy!
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear nut

Thanks! Yes it is a great piece of gear but also needs to be used in a subtle way I think. We noticed a slightly wider mix when using it in Lat/Vert mode and I actually liked it.

Thanks for helping out.
Old 23rd April 2012
member no 666

You might also want to check out the Lat/Vert on things like stereo percussion tracks... it can do some seriously interesting stuff to those!!

Peace
Old 24th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
You might also want to check out the Lat/Vert on things like stereo percussion tracks... it can do some seriously interesting stuff to those!!

Peace
What does it do differently than normal mode?
Old 24th April 2012
member no 666

Its an M/S matrix... so the mids [material that is essentially mono] is compressed differently than the material that exists on the sides...
Old 24th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Its an M/S matrix... so the mids [material that is essentially mono] is compressed differently than the material that exists on the sides...
nice... so in this mode the compressor is not linkes, but more as a dual mono unit, but affecting the M or S? do you need to code and encode M/S before and after, or does the ADL670 do that itself?
Old 24th April 2012
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search