UM251c blackspade - anyone tried it??
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

UM251c blackspade - anyone tried it??

This is the one with the Tim Campbell capsule. Has anyone tried it yet?
Comments?
THANKS.
Old 18th April 2012
Gear interested

Hey AB3, we released 10 UM25C's last week as a limited first run,
with a few going out to their new homes this week.

Best shot for the moment is our dealers who might have had the time to try one out!
Maybe they'll chime in here.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Hi Mike - I assume someone has compared this mike to a tele 251. What are the obvious differences in sound? Also, what tube is used in this first batch?
THANKS,
AB
Old 18th April 2012
Gear interested

Sure thing, the whole design process was conducted side by side with an original. The objective answer to your question is that we built the mic to be as close as we could make it. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the $20K original, but we can confidently say that the performance is very close.

For the details, the capsule is a full on custom job we reworked with Tim Campbell (only available in the 25C), the transformer is a Hiller style T14, and the circuit is wired point-to-point and identical to the original except for a small mod to allow for the different tube.

The tube is a Telefunken NOS, picked to replace the 6072a. It's easier to find good sounding ones in volume, and cheaper to replace for our clients if it does go. Meaningful stocks of good sounding 6072a's to cover an entire mic production lifetime are becoming increasingly harder to find, so we thought we'd jump the gun and find a long term solution we could reliably count on. In our experience, this tube sounds as good, and very similar to what you'd expect from a 6072.

We're holding out on the model number of the tube for long enough to allow us to secure enough stock, and if anyone really feels that they're losing out by not having a 6072 in there – there's no reason anybody should – the mic can take a direct replacement. Just needs an adjustment to the filament voltage, as this Tele tube runs at a higher 14v. Leaving this option open was an important design criteria.

It's a broken record thing to say, but this one really does deserve a proper demo to see if it matches your expectations.

Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
UM251c blackspade - anyone tried it??-25_251.jpg   UM251c blackspade - anyone tried it??-25c-capsule.jpg  
Old 18th April 2012
Get thee behind me Satan... you might separate money from my wallet.

Can you post pics of the NG power supply and the inside of the Tim Campbell? So the differences between the C and the standard are the PS and the capsule?
Old 18th April 2012
Jai guru deva om

Hi John, actually the UM25C model has the Tim Campbell capsule, Gotham cable, Oliver's USA power supply, and a Rycote shockmount as differences / upgrades from the standard model.

Our reference recording session is going on as I type and I hope to have all uploaded by Friday this week. We have the UM17, UM17R, UM25 and UM25C all in a row to track one after the other.

War
Old 18th April 2012
You get my PM, Warren?
Old 18th April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Can you post pics of the NG power supply and the inside of the Tim Campbell?
Hi John – here's the power supply, and the capsule is the same as above.
Attached Thumbnails
UM251c blackspade - anyone tried it??-um25c-psu.jpg  
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Can you please elaborate on the "reworked" Tim Campbell capsule.
Old 18th April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by geareyes View Post
Can you please elaborate on the "reworked" Tim Campbell capsule.
Tim builds the capsules for us from the ground up to specifically match the UM25C's amplifier and assembly. The changes are that it's tuned differently from his usual CT12 to get us closer to the 251 tone, coated with corona dope, and it comes with different screw holes for assembly.
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Thank you!
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Get thee behind me Satan... you might separate money from my wallet.
+666
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackspade Mike View Post
coated with corona dope
i have no idea what that is but it sounds really good!
Old 18th April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyglover View Post
i have no idea what that is but it sounds really good!

Here's a pic of the red dope coating on the capsule. It mainly helps insulate the capsule, to prevent condensation from getting in between the backplates.
Attached Thumbnails
UM251c blackspade - anyone tried it??-25c-capsule-side.jpg  
Old 18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Nice info being presented. I hope it is a huge success.
Is the tele tube an ef800 ??
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

What's the difference between the 25 and 25C that accounts for the large price difference?

Btw, love the mp3s of the 25.

-R
Old 18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Gear interested

To clarify for anybody from Europe, the UM25's European edition comes with the Gotham cable and Rycote mount supplied as well. The only differences with the 25C are the CT12 and AMI power supply, with a smaller price difference between the two.

It's our way of negating the 20% cost increase due to VAT, that clients over here have to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Nice info being presented. I hope it is a huge success.
Is the tele tube an ef800 ??
Thank you AB3! The tube has never been used in a production microphone before the UM25 series.
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Stephen,

Can you explain what a Klaus Heyne restored CK12 is?

Are you referring to orig AKG CK12s that have their original diaphragms and have simply been cleaned by Klaus? Or has he restored tension? Etc ...

Do these CK12's have clear backplates or red golden gate coloured backplates?

Thanks!
Old 19th April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Considering it's $700 extra, I emailed Tim Campbell to ask about the capsule and this was his reply...

"I have not affiliated with and have not heard any Blackspade microphones.
I'm as curious as you."

I'm confused...Makes me a little leery about the extra $800...
John, to clarify, Blackspade has no partnership or affiliation with Tim Campbell. Just like we don't have a partnership or affiliation with Mr. Thiersch (who's capsules we also use), and there should be no confusion about this point.

It would help if you showed us what your question to him was, and place it into context for all of us to understand.

We're also not charging $800 just for a capsule. You're skipping a $485 power supply, $120 shockmount and a $120 cable. Add $400 for the capsule to that total, and you get a clearer picture of what you're getting for the $800 difference.

Thanks,
Mike.
Old 19th April 2012

Wow this one of the stranger things I've read on GS. What's the deal with the capsule? Also I personally don't think Johnkenn was out of line or uncool at all. A guy has a right to research before spending money.
Old 19th April 2012
I'm not up to anything...I was just trying to get clarification for an odd response that I received from Tim. In fact, I was - and still - considering purchasing - ask Warhead...I would have thought Tim would have an opinion on the mics considering this:

"For the details, the capsule is a full on custom job we reworked with Tim Campbell"
"Tim builds the capsules for us from the ground up to specifically match the UM25C's amplifier and assembly."

Hey Tim -
Considering this mic...does it have the same kind of woody mid-range of a
251? Just wondering if you consider it close.

Sent from my iPad

Dear John,
I have not affiliated with and have not heard any Blackspade microphones.
I'm as curious as you.

Kind regards,
Tim
Old 19th April 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
I think John was referring to your written comments here that clearly make it sound like you built a custom capsule for the mic with Tim:

Quote:

"For the details, the capsule is a full on custom job we reworked with Tim Campbell (only available in the 25C),"
"Tim builds the capsules for us from the ground up to specifically match the UM25C's amplifier and assembly"

So I guess we are all a little confused why you are now saying you have no affiliation with Tim and he has inferred he has no idea who you guys are. Add to that your terse comment to John saying " you don't know what he is up to", makes it "appear" like you are upset at being caught in a lie.

Maybe there is some confusion here as versus outright dishonesty.

But either way it looks less than forthright.
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

It is a mistake to even hint at JohnKenn's integrity - he is about the best that can be found on this board.

I too thought that Tim Campbell specifically did something to this capsule for this mic in particular, which would mean there is a relationship.

At the same time, I bet this is a great mic at a great price.

But I do think it would be best to re-read the posts on this Board, and take back those items that are inaccurate. Perhaps it is a translation problem or something. I am trying to keep an open mind.
Old 19th April 2012
Gear interested

Dear all,

For the sake of clarity on all of this, please refer to post number 7 in this thread.

AES Pictures

I hope that answers all of your questions, and explains why you'll need to excuse me for not being very receptive to certain assumptions.

Sincerely,
Mike.
Old 19th April 2012
I'm trying to keep an open mind too. I deleted my initial response.

I demo'd one of the prototype (I think it was) UM25's - there's even a thread comparing it to the Miktek...And I REALLY liked it. I was hoping the 25C would be even better. I'm sure it is. There just seems to be some hyperbolic statements floating around.

Tim C. posted in another UM25 thread. Maybe he can come in here and clarify. If I've misconstrued anything, I sincerely apologize.
Old 19th April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
I'm trying to keep an open mind too. I deleted my initial response.

I demo'd one of the prototype (I think it was) UM25's - there's even a thread comparing it to the Miktek...And I REALLY liked it. I was hoping the 25C would be even better. I'm sure it is. There just seems to be some hyperbolic statements floating around.

Tim C. posted in another UM25 thread. Maybe he can come in here and clarify. If I've misconstrued anything, I sincerely apologize.
John, did you check the thread I posted above?

Placing any statement out of context like you did above creates confusion, and since we're only here to provide as much information as we can (not push nor pimp), we hope that people will be forthright with us, and ask us upfront if they have any doubts about anything instead.

We're only here to help, not to make up anybody's mind by influencing them with misinformation.

Sincerely,
Mike.
Old 19th April 2012
REX
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

It just seemed like there was some "embellishment" here. Business is business.
Old 19th April 2012
Yes, I did. I see where Tim says he manufactures a capsule for Blackspade...

I don't think anyone was implying that he didn't make a capsule that you're using...it's the brevity and the oh-my-God-you-saw-the-dead-hooker-in-my-car-ishness of his reply that smells a little funny.

It's very possible that English is his second language or that he has a peculiar personality...but in this SUBJECTIVE business that sound is, we all want to know that we are getting what we pay for.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search