Old 27th November 2012
Gear addict

Oliver Archut does fantastic work, this shouldn't be a secret by now
27th November 2012
Old 27th November 2012
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tholen View Post
Here is a vocal sample of the UM25C, V76s-mild compression using 1176, no EQ.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/88663921/CrashVoxUM25C.wav
Sounds awesome Mike! I will assume that Oliver has blessed that V76s you got patched in :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo_007 View Post
Oliver Archut does fantastic work, this shouldn't be a secret by now
The Secret is out 007!!

Bought myself a UM25c recently, and absolutely love it.
27th November 2012
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

Yes Adam the V76s that I used is rebuilt by Oliver and it's not ****ing around.
Have you used you UM25C on drum overheads yet? It ****ing kills on drums.
27th November 2012
Old 27th November 2012
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tholen View Post
Yes Adam the V76s that I used is rebuilt by Oliver and it's not ****ing around.
Have you used you UM25C on drum overheads yet? It ****ing kills on drums.
Hey Mike,

I wasn't putting my money on anything other than Oliver's holy water revival!!!

Yup! Amazing. Just Loaned mine to the guys over at Maximum Sound Studios in Boston, they are producing and engineering the next Transit Record. At the moment they've only scratched the surface of it's potential [using it as a room mic]. I told em to try it out with Acoustic's and vocals. Before that, I've been using it for vocals and electric guitars with a small watt, vintage Oahu combo.

I have clients buying them from me in pair's JUST for overhead duties!! Love it on acoustic instruments and intimate vocals. I really would like another one for Stereo Recordings on acoustic instruments and drums, [figure-eight in X/Y, spaced pair, omni room flankers] but I'm set on buying a UM17R next purchase. I think that will cover some ground in my studio, for the records I am working on and the sounds I am going for right now with the rest of my hardware.

To my ears the UM25c is really stunning for the money. The top end is lovely. Present/detailed/articulate but still SMOOTH and NOT edgy or Thin. Its NOT "etched" out. Kinda soft, Clear and Warm. I love the tone, and it has very low noise for a tube mic. Its certainly a marriage of great components, but I think Oliver's choice of 800 series tube in this mic is magic
27th November 2012
Old 27th November 2012
I'd love to shoot this out with the Miktek CV4...not that I'm saying they would sound the same, but I haven't really found anything in a sane price range that I like better. I demo'd an $11k Tele 251V AC a couple years ago and absolutely loved it...it had this "reedy" sounding midrange. Like that buzz you get in your chest sitting next to a basson or an oboe...a sibilant-less top end and perfect bottom. Guess I should have sold my wife and bought it. (But she's got great teeth and is good at pulling up stumps in the back yard)
Anyway, as much as I love the CV4, it has it's issues - that's not a knock as it has less of those issues than others in the under $2000 price range...but it's somewhat scooped and can be sibilant. Love to hear what this BS sounds like.
27th November 2012
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

27th November 2012
Old 27th November 2012
Gear addict

it certainly was an excellent decision to replace the existing stock capsule with a CT-12 - one of the two best ck12-inspired remakes on the planet.
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

I strongly dislike country music and I rather enjoyed listening to this. Sonically great. You certainly have a very nice voice without this microphone, but this microphone really shows off your voice so much that after listening on computer speakers I was wow'ed enough to play it again on some sennheiser 600's. Not that I need any more mics but the um17 just made my short list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
Here's a mix with the UM 17r used on vox only. I used an 1176 going in and Pultec and LA2A coming out. Very little of anything on it really. It didn't need much, however for my baritone, I found I had to use more HP than on other mics. Rolled of about 4 on the top as well around 16k. There's some serious mojo in this thing though.
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
I strongly dislike country music and I rather enjoyed listening to this. Sonically great. You certainly have a very nice voice without this microphone, but this microphone really shows off your voice so much that after listening on computer speakers I was wow'ed enough to play it again on some sennheiser 600's. Not that I need any more mics but the um17 just made my short list.
Thanks. It's a great mic. Still loving it. The CV-4 is worth a listen as well. I usually flip a coin for which one I'll reach for first. Both great mics and the UM 17r gets the nod for clarity and transparency. The CV-4 has the smooth vocal mic thing going on and placement is a bit more critical with it as it can get slibant or boomy quick. But put it up in front of a singer with good mic technique and prepare to be amazed at the quality to dollar on this gem.
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Here's a clip where I used the CV-4 on the verses and bridge and the UM 17r on the chorus (lead vox). Granted the eq and comp is different on each but you'll get the idea. Both fantastic mics. Same pre on both as well.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Voice Of Truth.mp3 (7.46 MB, 121 views)
AB3
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

I really liked the CV-4.

Quote:
Here's a clip where I used the CV-4 on the verses and bridge and the UM 17r on the chorus (lead vox). Granted the eq and comp is different on each but you'll get the idea. Both fantastic mics. Same pre on both as well.
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
The CV4 is a fantastic mic. I definitely still get mic lust, but there's really not much out there less than $4000 that I would trade this mic for. Is it scooped in comparison to a U87? Sure...but it just seems to really work on everything for me.
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

I tend to agree. I paid 2k for the Blackspade and 1500 for the Miktek. If I could only have one, Id choose the CV-4 by a nose. It has a slight "finished" edge over the UM. It's a brute for under 2k. Probably worth a lot more so its a standout in its class.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

The Blackspade has been compared to the M49, the mic is quite a cold piece of work. From what I have heard I would go Blackspade, without pause.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Well, Camry's have been compared to Audi's...but that doesn't mean a whole lot
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageidiot View Post
The Blackspade has been compared to the M49, the mic is quite a cold piece of work. From what I have heard I would go Blackspade, without pause.
Do you own either aforementioned mic? Seems it would be a bit difficult to make a decision on the matter unless one has actually been in the same room with them. I work with them everyday so I'm fairly confident I've got this one nailed down.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

I don't own either the Miktek nor the Blackspade but have listened to the samples, and your posted samples, and like the Blackspade. We all have our favorites, not fair to bark at me for not agreeing with you.....
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Besides, this was a Blackspade thread, so to derail it for hyping another isn't considered fair is it?
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you own either aforementioned mic? Seems it would be a bit difficult to make a decision on the matter unless one has actually been in the same room with them. I work with them everyday so I'm fairly confident I've got this one nailed down.

I am not saying your opinion isn't nailed down for you, but your opinion is not gospel for everyone's ears. Just sayin'......
AB3
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Actually, this is a Blackspade UM251C thread.

Maybe the other mics should be part of another thread. I apologize for my posts that are off topic.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Actually, this is a Blackspade UM251C thread.

Maybe the other mics should be part of another thread. I apologize for my posts that are off topic.
True enough I guess. I was trying to help as these two mics have been mentioned earlier in the thread.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
What? Is this an advertisement thread and sponsored by Blackspade? I think the CV4 is a worthy alternative. That makes it germane to the conversation.
AB3
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

It is just that the OP asked about the Blackspade 251c. ( This is funny - I just realized that I AM the OP ! ! ! - it has been a long time) - so in the power invested in me as the OP, I hereby open it up for other mics.

It would be interesting to compare the Miktek CV4 to the Blackspade
251c.

And I must say, I loved the Miktek in that sample above. Made me want to get a pair of them for overheads. Had the right amount of smoothness with clarity IMHO. If we were hypnotized into thinking it was a $5000 mic, it would probably get more respect.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
It is just that the OP asked about the Blackspade 251c. ( This is funny - I just realized that I AM the OP ! ! ! - it has been a long time) - so in the power invested in me as the OP, I hereby open it up for other mics.

By the way, I use it on overheads as well. And it is purely awesome as a room mic.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

In my understanding, the Miktek guys had Oliver Archut help them design their products.

AMI output transformers populate both of these mic's. Yet to my ears - they do have much different vibes

Marriage of components and all,

As some have done here, you just gotta get em both in house for your own trial and evaluations.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

CV-4 certainly sounds great.....
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Cowboycoalminer, a very nice song and production. Love the 2 mic combo.
I also have the Um17r and really like the clips of the Cv4 that I've heard. Thanks for posting it! Good luck.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Thought I would bump this...kinda got the 251 gas.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search