Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
You listen to the Clipalator clips?
No I have not.
Old 21st April 2012
Jai guru deva om

Just a bit more follow up info on our session:

I know I have explained this many times in many threads on this site, but the idea behind our mic tests was mine, and the focus I feel needs to be on repeatable scenarios that can continue on (this was our 16th session!). I have heard some AWESOME "shootouts" on the web that trump the performances and our presentation of mics, but outside of those shootouts there is no context. Therefore, sometimes a round peg won't fit in our square hole.

For example with these mics, as Mike stated they can handle drums from more of a distance and are very HOT output mics. But since every single drum recording we do is marked and reproduced as closely as possible, the Blackspade line needs more distance than that so our placement / position for us did not work. To record the mics from another area or height would not have been a comparison within our Clipalator. This is not to say you can't use them from a distance on drums as others are doing, but we stuck with our repeatable scenario. You can hear them all on all other sources.

You can hear the M7 capsule's very big, focused and smooth sound, just keeping everything up by the surface sooooooo nicely on the UM17R. What a forgiving top too! To me it qualifies as a WOW all purpose vocal mic, as well as other sources.

You can hear the CT12 with that super low end reach, gently pulled back lower mids for a very clean midrange delivery, and that rich presence and air that brings life to the top end. For acoustic sources it has an exciting and "finished" sound, and for background vocals (by contrast to something like the UM17R) it seems a WOW go-to mic as well as a go-to mic on acoustic sources. Like all mics it can be the perfect fit for the perfect voice.

Those are very general, initial impressions of both as we spent 2 days with them with our one guy tracking these sources. I think the stock versions sound nice compared to others in their range. I think if you're looking for that 47 sound or 251 sound, reaching for the upgrade versions is what I would suggest.

War
Old 21st April 2012
Lives for gear

I wish I had been at the session, because just listening to these files does not give me quite the impression you're describing. Unfortunately it's the nature of the beast. For me, in all the clips, there's something missing in the guitar and male vocal recordings. None of the Blackspades would have been my go-to for those tracks, but then again I'm not hearing them live. However I appreciate the fact that you're trying to be repeatable and objective, and that is no small accomplishment. But when the numbers 47 and 251 are thrown around you need to bring something magic or else it's just another wannabe.

If you really think these mics are special I think you should give them a deeper workout and show what kind of beauty they're really capable of, because the pedigree is definitely there.

-R
Old 21st April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
If you really think these mics are special I think you should give them a deeper workout and show what kind of beauty they're really capable of, because the pedigree is definitely there.

-R
I totally agree and I will be recording some acoustic guitar samples for all to hear next week.
I have a few different pres at my disposal and have been thinking about what I should use, for instance I have Telefunken V76s, EAB RE85, API, Amek 9098, Neve 1063, 1272, SSL desk, Hardy, SCA N72, and SCA A12.
I have been using the EAB and V76s with them about 90% of the time but I know this is not a reality for most people so that makes me think I should probably make these sample with something more attainable.

FTR I have the UM25 and the UM17R, I have not heard nor used the UM25C yet.
Old 21st April 2012
I'd really like to hear that Mike.
Old 21st April 2012
Lives for gear

I'd also like to hear that mic.
Old 21st April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tholen View Post
I have been using the EAB and V76s with them about 90% of the time but I know this is not a reality for most people so that makes me think I should probably make these sample with something more attainable.

FTR I have the UM25 and the UM17R, I have not heard nor used the UM25C yet.
I say just make it sound as good as you can. If in doubt, go with a Neve style, as that's something we can all reference.

Thanks in advance,

-R
Old 21st April 2012
Lives for gear

Also, as per another thread, use a couple of different picks.

-R
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
I wish I had been at the session, because just listening to these files does not give me quite the impression you're describing. Unfortunately it's the nature of the beast. For me, in all the clips, there's something missing in the guitar and male vocal recordings. None of the Blackspades would have been my go-to for those tracks, but then again I'm not hearing them live. However I appreciate the fact that you're trying to be repeatable and objective, and that is no small accomplishment. But when the numbers 47 and 251 are thrown around you need to bring something magic or else it's just another wannabe.

-R
I've got a UM 17r coming about Wed. Stay tuned and I'll post some samples up. Believe me, I will defiantly give that brute a workout.
Old 22nd April 2012
Jai guru deva om

Hey Mike, I would love to hear it too!

Our clips are never the whole story, just a bit of context due to repeatability. With so much stuff on the market, it helps.

I wish everybody could be there too for a better picture. I know I like these mics a LOT.
Old 22nd April 2012
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
I've got a UM 17r coming about Wed. Stay tuned and I'll post some samples up. Believe me, I will defiantly give that brute a workout.
I know that you will...and thanks again for letting us take care of you.
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I know that you will...and thanks again for letting us take care of you.
Thank you
Old 27th April 2012
Here are some raw stereo classical clips comparing the UM17R (left) and the UM25C (right) both in Omni. It is in a medium-size church, going through Millennia HV3 / Rosetta 800:

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Here is another sample comparing the UM25 (left) with the UM25C (right):

Old 28th April 2012
Great clips.
On the last clip the UM25 seems a little louder.
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathedral Guitar View Post
Here are some raw stereo classical clips...
They sound very nice indeed.
Were these normalized?
Old 28th April 2012
No, these are just the unprocessed files. The mics are set up about 20' apart as soloist spots, (i.e., not the mains for these clips -- we used pairs of CM7GT, CMT30/M934C, and a C34). So you may want to adjust levels for proper A/B comparison.
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

Wow! Really?
These are very hot recording levels. Are you referencing a VU meter?
Old 28th April 2012
They are set properly for the soloist sections, which are much quieter. Of course, the full orchestra + choir together generate a lot more sound.
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

These sound nice but I would like to hear some clips without the mic pre being pushed so hard.
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Here's a mix with the UM 17r used on vox only. I used an 1176 going in and Pultec and LA2A coming out. Very little of anything on it really. It didn't need much, however for my baritone, I found I had to use more HP than on other mics. Rolled of about 4 on the top as well around 16k. There's some serious mojo in this thing though.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 VSSM_042912_Springsteen.mp3 (9.11 MB, 345 views)
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

DIG your new track, Cowboy!

STrong MOve!
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Cowboy, very cool!
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny C View Post
Cowboy, very cool!
+1

rsp
Old 29th April 2012
Vocals sound great...Although not a big fan of this particular Eric Church song...If I hear about tans, trucks, flip flops, country roads, grandpas, smell of jasmine, whiskey, rain, six packs, hank jr, or dirt roads one more time, I'm gonna puke. Sorry.
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Vocals sound great...Although not a big fan of this particular Eric Church song...If I hear about tans, trucks, flip flops, country roads, grandpas, smell of jasmine, whiskey, rain, six packs, hank jr, or dirt roads one more time, I'm gonna puke. Sorry.

Your livin in the wrong town then, Brother.

But I know what you mean. Labels get on a kick that sells and we have to write toward it. It's the business and it sucks but that's the way it is guess.
Old 29th April 2012
I'll be damned...I ain't doing it...
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post

Your livin in the wrong town then, Brother.

But I know what you mean. Labels get on a kick that sells and we have to right toward it. It's the business and it sucks but that's the way it is guess.
Ahhh...but then it all gets outdone by something outside the box- happens every year.
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Vocals are sonically great...super pro.
Old 4th September 2012
Gear Head

Beautiful vocal, was looking for some vocal clips of the 25c as there isn't much about the mic around the place. Thanks so much for posting

Anyone compared this to an AR-51?
Old 26th November 2012
Lives for gear

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search