Klein + Hummel O300 vs O300D
New Reply
Subscribe
adamj31
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear maniac

Klein + Hummel O300 vs O300D

I'm pretty much set on getting a set of Klein + Hummel O300's. I was hoping someone could comment on the differences between the O300 and the O300D. I know the O300D offers digital connectivity and onboard D/A conversion. Is that the only difference? I'm not sure that I'll use the digital connectivity. I'm actually looking to pick up the new UAD Apollo or Apogee Symphony interface, both which offer analog main outs.

Are the features on the O300D's worth the extra investment?
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear addict

I was thinking about those for a while , I am not in the market right now, but i always wanted to hear a pair..I am interested to see what people say..

Are many people using them?
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

I would not go for O300D as the DA technology used is very old, like 10 years ?
I would never trust that kind of old converters as the technology improves with time especially this kind.
Also it is stupid to put DA´s in the speakers, all your analog monitor control devices will be obsolete...
So, easy choice for you now
Mac Pro 6 core 3.46 GHz, 24 GB RAM, 285GTX, AVID HD I/O, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, PT HD3 PCIe PT HD 10.3.7, 10.8.4 , CS-80,Jupiter-8,P5rev2,Oberheim OB-Xa, Code8,Jupiter-4,PPG Wave 2.2,Prophet600,SEM Pro,Voyager RME,Prophet VS
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear addict

I tried the DA on mine once....not worth the extra money....
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj31 View Post
I was hoping someone could comment on the differences between the O300 and the O300D. I know the O300D offers digital connectivity and onboard D/A conversion. Is that the only difference? ?
Yes.

Originally there was only the O300D and the O300 only came along because some people wanted a cheaper monitor.

There is no difference between them at all, except the O300 does not have a digital input option.

President - Fédération Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

(and lots more - please look at my Profile)
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

If I were looking to buy the 0300's I would personally hang on to see if Neumann will release an enhanced version like they did with the KH120. But only if this is possible in your situation!?
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
There is no difference between them at all, except the O300 does not have a digital input option.
Sorry but this is not true. The O300D have very high quality "Eingansübertrager", the O300 not. Sorry for the german term but I don't know the englisch translation for this. Maybe someone could translate it?

I wouldn't buy the O300/O300D now. From good source I know that successor under the neumann label ("KH 310") comes at the end of the year.
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear addict

Really?I mean the eingangsübertrager..
So what is your opinion on the digital input? I talked to people with better knowledge than me...(Bob Katz told me once better not to use it..) as I said tried it once on mine but it doesn't fit in my setup anyway...maybe great for radio trucks as they mostly have digital desks anyway....
adamj31
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasserwerk View Post
I wouldn't buy the O300/O300D now. From good source I know that successor under the neumann label ("KH 310") comes at the end of the year.
This has me really intrigued now. I read that Sennheiser/Neumann bought Klein + Hummel sometime in 2010, I think. I also understand the O300's have been around for a while too.

I might be interested in seeing if an updated monitor brings about any significant changes, though the O300's are pretty highly regarded as being a really high quality monitor already, with a proven track record.

So, are products still being released under the Klein + Hummel name, or are they merging into the Neumann brand name?
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
If I were looking to buy the 0300's I would personally hang on to see if Neumann will release an enhanced version like they did with the KH120. But only if this is possible in your situation!?
There will be a Neumann version.
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
So, are products still being released under the Klein + Hummel name, or are they merging into the Neumann brand name?
It does not matter what comes - it will be called Neumann. Klein&Hummel as label is dead, although still the same people develop for Neumann (Sennheiser).

Last edited by wasserwerk; 17th March 2012 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: Typos
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhard View Post
So what is your opinion on the digital input?
I didn't hear this monitor personally and I wouldn't buy a moitor with digital input due to this fact. The digital technique is still evolving, faster than I can buy new monitors. So when you buy minitor with digital input you freeze the state of the technique on many years of usage this monitors.
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
This has me really intrigued now. I read that Sennheiser/Neumann bought Klein + Hummel sometime in 2010, I think. I also understand the O300's have been around for a while too.
Sennheiser bought K+H a lot earlier than that - at the very least 5 or 6 years ago, maybe more.

Quote:
All new monitors will be released under the Neumann name with the KH prefix.

The first was the KH120A, followed by the KH810 and then the KH120D.

The next should be the KH310, but there is no release date yet.

K+H was initially a separate company within the Sennheiser group. The O410 was designed and released while K+H was under Sennheiser ownership. It was only in 2009 that Sennheiser announced that K+H studio monitors would be taken under the Neumamn wing and the install units under the Sennheiser wing.
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

0300D is a great monitor with both analog and digital inputs. The d/a is excellent and recent-- contrary to bogus posts here.

The reason to buy KH monitor is for monitoring excellence. If that is what you need then buy 300 or 300D today. I have done a review of these monitors here on GS.

EARS-Chicago, Engineering And Recording Society

http://www.ears-chicago.org/
Deaf before Dishonor

http://soundcloud.com/hudson-fair
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

From the Neumann website:

Georg Neumann GmbH - Professional Monitoring

Suggests that the difference is that with the O300D the analog input is transformer balanced, whereas with the O300 its electronically balanced input.
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

Someone on here who owned both did a review summary and actually found some slight differences in their sound. Don't know where the thread is but it's on here somewhere.
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox View Post
Someone on here who owned both did a review summary and actually found some slight differences in their sound. Don't know where the thread is but it's on here somewhere.
I don't own both, but I did audition both before choosing the O300D.

In the pairs I auditioned there was a slight but discernible difference in sound, and I found preferred the O300D. However both are excellent and I would be happy with either. I attribute the slight difference to the fact that - as has been reported here, the analog inputs of the O300D use a high quality input transformer, whereas the inputs of the O300 model are transformerless.

Since making my own choice between these two excellent variants of the same product, I've encountered others who have independently made a similar choice and have reported similar experiences.

FWIW, I don't typically use the built-in DA converters on the O300Ds, as their signal is routed from the (analog) console. However I can confirm the report from Plush that there is no shortcoming to be found with the quality of conversion - they sound well alongside other current high end conversion (I've compared them directly to DA offerings from Lavry, Apogee, Mytek and Lynx).
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to LeMauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox View Post
I had them bought for testing. And yes there was a diff. but so small that the price didn't do the hassle to get the D version. Save up the money to get the non-D version and get the 0800 / 0810 sub with it. It's a frickin eye opener this combo...
adamj31
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Gear maniac

I'm pretty much sold on the K+H O300/O800 combo. I'm not planning on utilizing the digital inputs on the O300D, so I wonder if the differences between the O300 and O300D (in terms of sound) justify the additional expense.

I've got my eyes set on the used market, as I don't have the coin to buy new. Anyone know of any other used studio gear marketplaces where I could look for these?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search