Login / Register

The Black Pearl or... (a VOCAL MIC up to $2k)
New Reply
Subscribe
Rabianski
12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012
Gear interested

The Black Pearl or... (a VOCAL MIC up to $2k)

I'm looking for a BALANCED (not very dark, not very bright) mic for vocals.

When I listened to a shootout between u87ai and at4060 I thought u87ai had too much unnatural brilliance (and too much radio sound (laugh)), but then at4060 seemed too dull/dark. Don't get me wrong, I think both of those mics were good, but not something I'm looking for.

I loved the sound of Sony C800g in the mic shootout with Jeanne Jolly (and LOVED her voice too!). For now though Sony C800g is too expensive for me (maybe I will be able to get it after I stop spending thousands of dollars on music school

COULD YOU GIVE ME SOME RECOMMENDATIONS GUYZ? The budget is about 2k or less. Don't forget to include other parts of the signal chain that you like with the recommended mic).

So far (based on reviews/opinions) Martin Kantola's Black Pearl caught my biggest attention. Unfortunately, I can't find any samples/shootouts with that mic:( I can't even find any specs about the mic (I like numbers, lol!). Do you know where I can find something about that elusive BLACK PEARL? Or can you tell me about any websites where I can listen to some good mic shootouts?

I know it's difficult to recommend a mic without hearing someone's voice first, but if it helps I can tell you that I want to record TRAINED VOICES. I mean singers that can sing melodic (legato) lines and possess a pretty good vocal range and technique (vibrato etc) - NOT quite as deep/dark/huge as classical voices though - but sweeter, brighter, and bit smaller voices ( with more contemporary sound - folk, pop, rock).

Cheers! Thank you for Your advice. I truly appreciate it!!
12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

The Manley Ref C is the closest you're going to get to a C800G but it's still over 2k.... I just ordered one. Awesome mic!
Rabianski
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Rash View Post
The Manley Ref C is the closest you're going to get to a C800G but it's still over 2k.... I just ordered one. Awesome mic!
I'm gonna take a closer look at Manley Ref C. Maybe I could stretch my budget a little if needed...

More advice anyone?
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

Pearlman TM-1 with the A-Designs Pacifica pre gets a lot of love around here. I have no experience with the 800g so I can't compare the two.
Rabianski
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaeronn View Post
Pearlman TM-1 with the A-Designs Pacifica pre gets a lot of love around here. I have no experience with the 800g so I can't compare the two.
Thanks for your reply! See, I'm not really looking for a C800g clone, so if you're not familiar with it (I only know it from shootouts myself) then it's not a problem.

I'm just looking for a nice vocal mic that could fit the description above.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search