Login / Register

Did anybody trade in their ProTools HD setup to ProTools Native?
New Reply
Subscribe
pieter
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear maniac

Did anybody trade in their ProTools HD setup to ProTools Native?

Hello all,

I have been using a ProTools HD2 setup for a couple of years now.

The thing is I am a private studio and don't like to pay a couple of thousand every few years to upgrade the ProTools cards (I already spent a lot on simple migration from PCI to PCIe).

Recently I added an API 1608 to my setup (yes indeed) which means I am using less and less plugins. Also i am not running super high track count sessions and i could spent he HDX upgrade money for extramodules in my Burl Mothership...

As such I was thinking of switching to a ProTools Native setup.

Did anybody take the same route? Any ideas you want to share?

Many thanks,

Pieter
pieter
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear maniac

I know there has been a lot of threads on this but i was looking for people with similar cases than mine...
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

I did just that (HD2 to native) and couldn't be happier.
A.
LPP
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
LPP
Gear maniac

I did on one of my rigs. Liking it a lot so far. I haven't put it through its paces yet, but it has been responsive and sounds great.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Avid's HD Native PCie, is a fantastic product in it's own right. I have had a couple clients trade in their Legacy TDM HD cards, [old PCI Core and Accell Cards] and make the move from a G5 to an Intel Mac Pro, with the HD Native PCIe system, and they are all flying FAST. The raw native juice from a g5 to a mac pro is kinda ridiculous..
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Avid's HD Native PCie, is a fantastic product in it's own right. I have had a couple clients trade in their Legacy TDM HD cards, [old PCI Core and Accell Cards] and make the move from a G5 to an Intel Mac Pro, with the HD Native PCIe system, and they are all flying FAST. The raw native juice from a g5 to a mac pro is kinda ridiculous..
I can second that, my TDM rig was based on an 8 core Mac/PT8 and still I feel like it's running even faster on PT10 with the Native HD card?! I can open HD2 sessions which were maxing the DSP and taxing the CPU without any particular problem. The extra latency compensation and not having to worry about voice count, RTAS/TDM, anymore is really great.
I don't do any serious tracking so the product really fits my needs.
I didn't notice any improvement in sound but I couldn't check the two rigs side by side nor I compared printed mixes, so who knows...
A.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear addict

HD3 pci > PTN...was a simple transition, worked great, more snappy

but after really digging into the native thing, it can be full of surprises,. maybe I should have stayed at PT9.03 [now at 9.06]
as in really have to know the system/plugs to avoid 90xx errors coming even when youre at 40% cpu..its mostly VIs

with TDM you had a wall and that was it. so you backed off or reworked your session... native can just be,.. different
BUT
once its going its great...

Im happy with the switch,..finally being on pcie mac,..
maybe 10 is better., love clip gain..

but I felt punishing the HD owners with the upgrd 1k or even 600 was,..hmmm unfortunate.. so 9 is fine [till 64 bit 11]
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

I am running PT10 HD/2 on an 8core MAC pro and am thinking of going HD/Native. I was curious about latencies. Anyone find it much different to HD?

My last bastion after that is heat...damn I love heat. It is my Achilles heel at the moment.

www.aisle6.com.au
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Studio507
Is anyone running tracking sessions with lots of vocals on these? I do intensive vocal recording but rarely input-heavy sessions...thoughts?
@parksmusic
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

I had to do the switch for economic reasons. The recent updates (track counts, delay comp, aftermarket interface options etc...) combined with high powered towers have made going native a professional option. I do a lot of heavy vocal stuff with tons of stacks. I have done ok and only need to bounce things down on the largest of large arrangements. I am hoping to enhance even further with the apollo or something similar. There has never been a better time to do it. I did the switch 5 years ago and its only gotten better and better.
MacPro 2.66 quad, Macbook Pro 13" 2.4, Protools 8 LE 003, Logic 8, McDsp, Sonnox, API 512c, GR NV500, Buzz Essence, Focusrite Solo, DBX 160A, Telefunken AK47, AKG 414eb Adam A7 Sub 8, Laney, Fender, Martin, Musicman, PRS, Marshall, Bach.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Studio507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
I had to do the switch for economic reasons. The recent updates (track counts, delay comp, aftermarket interface options etc...) combined with high powered towers have made going native a professional option. I do a lot of heavy vocal stuff with tons of stacks. I have done ok and only need to bounce things down on the largest of large arrangements. I am hoping to enhance even further with the apollo or something similar. There has never been a better time to do it. I did the switch 5 years ago and its only gotten better and better.
I think you're talking about LE, or what was formally LE, we're talking about HD Native that was released about a year ago?ish (?)

I have an LE system at home and that will definitely not cut it for the work I do at the studio...
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was curious about latencies. Anyone find it much different to HD?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 View Post
Is anyone running tracking sessions with lots of vocals on these? I do intensive vocal recording but rarely input-heavy sessions...thoughts?
I you haven't already you could check this thread, lots of info:
Here's is What HD native can do
A.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

I think it would be even more interesting to ask "Did anybody trade in their ProTools HD PCI-e setup to ProTools Native? "
I guess it would be a different story in that case.
Mac Pro 6 core 3.46 GHz, 24 GB RAM, 285GTX, AVID HD I/O, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, PT HD3 PCIe PT HD 10.3.7, 10.8.4 , CS-80,Jupiter-8,P5rev2,Oberheim OB-Xa, Code8,Jupiter-4,PPG Wave 2.2,Prophet600,SEM Pro,Voyager RME,Prophet VS
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
mymixisbetterthanyours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
I think it would be even more interesting to ask "Did anybody trade in their ProTools HD PCI-e setup to ProTools Native? "
I guess it would be a different story in that case.
Actually thinking about exactly that right now.
Is there a crossgrade possibility for that?

I didn't check yet..
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear nut

I've made the jump from PCI-X HD3 to HD Native. Honestly its been a great transition. I feel like I can run many more plugins than I have before. I'm even using the system with an SSL Delta link to two SSL Alpha links with no problems whatsoever. You do have to jump through a few hoops when your sessions get bigger, and running any sort of VI cripples the system rather quickly. Having said that I've tracked live full bands without any sort of problem. It does help though to have a console for headphone sends as once you start increasing the playback engine past 256 the latency does get rather annoying for artists. Some people are of course more sensitive than others. All in all, I am very happy with the switch, I feel as I need more power, I'll just upgrade the computer and it'll be even better.
-Seth
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear nut

I recently bought a Mix Core Card to qualify for a HD Native exchange. I have just sold my HD1 for almost as much as I paid for the Native Exchange (it cost me about £150 including mix core). So now I'm on Pro Tools 10, using a 2006 2 x Dual Core Mac Pro and I would say the processing power is slightly better with Native than HD1 (a maxed out HD1 mix, runs at 1024 HW buffer but no lower on Native) . I was hoping it would be markedly better, so now I'm going to upgrade the Mac.

Sent from my MK16i using Gearslutz App
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamebirdy View Post
All in all, I am very happy with the switch, I feel as I need more power, I'll just upgrade the computer and it'll be even better.
-Seth
+1
A.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

I switched from HD3 to Native running our Burl Mothership into a 1608. Small world

Anyway we made the switch months ago and things run great. We don't use many plugins but as a tape machine it's been running as well as ever, if not better.

StrangeWeatherBrooklyn.com
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

The trade up to HD Native from older TDM or Mix cards ended on Jan. 31st.

They may bring it back at some point but it's not currently available.

In addition, Avid stopped selling the HD Native card by itself, and now only sells it bundled with the new HD interfaces.

Separately, they are still offering the legacy interface to a new HD interface program, at least for a few more days.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Gear nut

How is the mother ship connected to hd native? Is the digilink output working in pt11?
Thinking of switching my hdx + hd I/O to hd native + mother ship in my mixing / mastering studio, but am still hesitant...

www.edm-mix-master.com
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search