Why so many DAC channels?
Devon8822
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear addict

Why so many DAC channels?

Generally, we need a bunch of ADC channels and (usually) only 2 DAC channels for monitoring right. So many converters or all-in-one interfaces have equal amount of ADC as DAC like 8 of each. Why would you need more than 2 DAC channels other than surround mixing which would of course need that many channels. Are there any other uses for that many DAC channels? I am thinking I could get away with getting a separate ADC rack, and a small 2 channel DAC box, and save some money, but I dont want to learn later that there is a good reason for having so many DAC channels.

Also where do headphone outputs fit into all this? is every headphone out another DAC?

Thanks
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Because you can't use outboard gear unless you have both outputs (to send the signals out) and inputs to bring them back in.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Not to mention mixing on an analog desk...or summing mixer. But, yes also, any outboard...I have an effect processor that's 8x8...plus all the channels of eq and compressors...
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
You can use them for separate headphone mixes, sending audio to outboard processing gear, send individual track or groups to a mixer. There are lots of different uses for DACs than just your monitors. And yes, the headphone output (just like on your iPod) has a DAC as well.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Church of UAD

Yep, that's the ABC of it.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Yep I mix on an analog desk, I have 48 channels of I/O, with only 24 in wired, all 48 outs coming back to my console
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear nut

If you want to leave your options open, I recommend getting an all digital interface such as the RME Raydat, AES or Madi Card. Then you can upgrade and downgrade your converters separately as you need. depending on the application, you don't always need all your converters to be expensive either. for instance you could pick up a Behringer Ada8000 and just use the DA converters for your headphone outs, but have high quality converters on the inputs and 2 channel out.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

As mentioned, separate cue/monitor mixes and external mixing/summing, but also you need 8 outputs for 7.1 Surround Sound monitoring.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search