Lowest latency interface, with quality A/D-D/A
12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Dunnet View Post
Apologies LeMauce for skipping over your reply, the SSL MadiXtreme 64 + SSL XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX is around $3000, which would be pushing the absolutely upper limit of my budget for conversion. I'm looking at a maximum 16 channels needed- so I'm thinking this might be overkill. 0.9ms AD/DA is amazing though.

Initially I'm only looking for one high quality vocal preamp, and one for guitar, as well as ADC for both and being able to run out stereo to FOH and monitors. Latency is a key issue as I'm planning on using various plugins on my sound.
Sorry men... I skipped the part about your budget. That responce was not inline with your question. I would really looking in the new RME stuff and stretch your budget to get in to it.
Alexander Dunnet
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear maniac

With the RME Hsdpe AIO how do the inputs work? And are there any findings comparing the latency and sound quality to the SSL combo?
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear nut

Maybe A metric Halo would qualify for low latency.As far as latency goes-unbelievable.
MAybe uLN 2 can be good.
As far as latency goes it is really really very good.
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear Head

Cosign on ssl alphalink ax, very well priced for an interface with that many i/o, quality and performance. Same as mentioned here, take the extra i/o and consider it a nice welcome to future expansions in the studio.
5th June 2012
Old 5th June 2012
Gear interested

Samson mpl2242 manual download ...anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Why re-invent the wheel for live stuff especially since you don't need anything special. Just use an analog mixer and outboard. If you want top of the line mic pres then have them as outboard and use their output line level signal into the mixer's line in inputs. Keyboards and Electronic Drums, the same thing. As for Guitar just pick up a cheap effects box like a Pod or one oldie I like, the Digitech GSP 2101 ($150). You wont have any latency and if you want to record at the same time as you are doing your show then using the mixer's direct outs or sends to your computer will work. One cheap mixer I recomend that sounds decent is the Samson MPL2242 and you can find a clean one in the $125-$150 range. Manual is downloadable to figure if it will work for you (it will). One dirty little secret about latency and cue monitering is that some very big/expensive studios use an analog mixer for cue sends (including Mackies) regardless of how much money they have tied up in computer gear - converters - interfaces.
I am not really contributing to the thread but i have an MPL 2242 and am trying to work out how to use it to multitrack record whilst live.... Could anyone tell me where I can download the Samson MPL2242 manual... going crazy trying to find it.

Thanks so much in advance for your help.
5th June 2012
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

Looks like Samson has a privite FTP server for their legacy product manuals that is no longer easily available for pdf downloads. Look up Samson Technologies | Professional Audio Equipment and get in contact with them for the manual. I checked on my end to see if I had the pdf and all I have is an original paper manual so if for some reason Samson doesn't help you PM me and we can see about looking something up or xeroxing what you need.

As far as spliting the signal in the mixer for recording while using it as a live mixer at the same time you will be pushing it's limits and have to get creative. The first ten channels have a send/receive insert jack post EQ that could be used but for the other six stereo channels you would have to use up some of the auxes and/or busses for that purpose (if you want to record all 16 channels separately). A common trick with that kind of single 1/4" TRS send/receive insert jack is just to put the male end in far enough into the female input jack so that the plug tip engages the female's ring (the "send" part only). That lets you split the signal, as fully inserting the male plug would break the signal path and the mixer would be expecting a "return signal". You can always do the traditional split the signals before the mixer routine too for recording and live mixing at the same time but that will require outboard pres or iso splitters and can get expensive.
27th September 2012
Old 27th September 2012
Gear interested

Ha, I have a Samson MPL2242 since the mid-90's when I bought it new on clearance special at Sam Ash in NJ. It was dirt cheap then and still is, but I always come back to the bang for the buck factor with it. It has a heck of a lot of features for the price and it has been rock solid stable. Nowadays, I only have a couple of gaming computers running their sound cards through it on Mogami cables to Mackie HR824 monitors. It's just used for PC monitoring for games and cranking my tech house mixes from MP3's. Not to digress from this old thread, I just had to comment when I've never seen anyone else mention this red-haired step-child of a mixer, I thought like I had the only one in existence and Sam Ash was still laughing at me for the sale :-)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search