Prism Orpheus users: anyone getting tiny clicks on even-numbered outputs?
mustgroove
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear nut

Prism Orpheus users: anyone getting tiny clicks on even-numbered outputs?

I've been in touch a bit with Prism tech support about my Orpheus unit producing a clicking behaviour on even-numbered outputs, and I just wanted to post here to ask whether any other Orpheus users have been experiencing the same thing.

Here's a video of the behaviour in action:
http://youtu.be/qE4AQczZNKk

I have done a fair bit of experimentation to try and get to the bottom of what's causing it... but I don't want to go too deep in the first post. For now, I'm just trying to gauge whether anyone else experiences the same thing.

If this looks familiar to anyone, please post up!
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear Head

Hi
I have something that might be similar from time to time, on start-up. Switching off/on the Orpheus completely (AC plug out) cures it everytime.
mustgroove
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob1970 View Post
Hi
I have something that might be similar from time to time, on start-up. Switching off/on the Orpheus completely (AC plug out) cures it everytime.
Thanks for the post drbob1970... Can I ask:

- do you happen to have Mac Pro?
- do you happen to have a UAD card installed in your computer?
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear Head

could the sample rate conversion (SRC) tab set to DI have something to do with it?
you could try to turn it off if it's not required in your setup...

i had similar clicking on the digital outputs a while ago,
but making sure the units had decent ventilation and all cables ok fixed it for me...

hope this helps!
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear addict

Have you tried different mics with it? I remember having a very similar kind of problem around a year ago, I thought it was my Orpheus but it turned out to be the mic. I changed the mic for something else and problem went away. It was was a small diaphragm condenser I was using as far as I remember.
mustgroove
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Gear nut

James_Avery: have you clicked through to the youtube video? My issue is with clicks on even-numbered the software outputs (as opposed to any of the inputs), when there's no activity whatsoever in any DAW.

The video shows Ableton Live open in the background, but I've had the issue occur directly after a cold boot, before any DAW software has even been opened for the day.

uijui: the clicking occurs regardless of whether there's anything connected to the digital input, or whether SRC is engaged. It's also worth noting that the clicking I'm seeing is only really on the even-numbered hardware outputs.
mustgroove
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Gear nut

Essentially, the clicking problem only occurs for me when the Orpheus is:

(a) Connected to my Mac Pro (it has never happened when connected to my Macbook Pro, or when the unit is running standalone)

(b) When the Mac Pro is running OS X (i.e. the clicking never occurs when running Windows 7 under Boot Camp on the Mac Pro. The clicking has also occurred under both Snow Leopard and Lion so it's not just limited to one particular flavour of OS X).

It's also worth noting that:

- since I first discovered this problem (on my old Early-2009 Mac Pro, running SL and then Lion), I have upgraded my machine (to a Mid-2010 Mac Pro) - the clicking behaviour has occured on both machines

- when I set up the new Mac Pro, I was careful to try and install as little 3rd-party software as possible, to try and eliminate as many variables as I could in getting to the bottom of the clicking behaviour. I took the machine out of the box, installed 10.7.2, and also the UAD drivers (I have 2 UAD cards), and then plugged in the Orpheus to see what would happen. The clicking started up immediately.

Prism tech support thinks it's definitely something software-related within OS X, because the clicking never occurs when the unit is running standalone or under Windows 7 (at least on my setups). But considering that (in my experience) the clicking behaviour is limited to OS X only on Mac Pro machines which also have a UAD card installed, I'm beginning to think it might be some interaction between the UAD drivers and the Orpheus.

Anyone else out there who has experienced this clicking - are you also running Mac Pros? Do you have any UAD cards installed? If we compare setups we might just be able to track this down.
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgroove View Post
Thanks for the post drbob1970... Can I ask:

- do you happen to have Mac Pro?
- do you happen to have a UAD card installed in your computer?
Hi.
- No, I run on PC, windows XP sp3
- yes, UAD2 quad

But as I said, it's something that happens only once in a while, maybe once a month or so, only at startup, so not sure if it's really the same thing.
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear interested

Hi there. I took advantage of the offer jigsaw have had recently and purchased the orpheus with the UAD card. I have been getting the clicks too but there seems to be no particular reason why it happens, it's all very random. It can go an hour with none at all then suddenly explode with a whole load of them and do nothing again until dropping a single spike onto a recording. I've emailed Prism but don't expect them to see the email until Monday morning at the earliest.
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear interested

Thinking about it, I did get a few clicks on it before I installed the UAD card so it may not be connected to that.
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
I've been in touch a bit with Prism tech support about my Orpheus unit producing a clicking behaviour on even-numbered outputs, and I just wanted to post here to ask whether any other Orpheus users have been experiencing the same thing.

Here's a video of the behaviour in action:
Orpheus - clicking on outputs - YouTube

I have done a fair bit of experimentation to try and get to the bottom of what's causing it... but I don't want to go too deep in the first post. For now, I'm just trying to gauge whether anyone else experiences the same thing.

If this looks familiar to anyone, please post up!

@mustgroove, do you have your orpheus connected to an extra firewire bus or the mac one?
mustgroove
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear nut

leesparey - my Orpheus is connected to the built-in Mac Firewire bus... no other Firewire devices are connected.
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Lives for gear
no clicks here. (win xp, no uad)
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear maniac

Occasional clicks here on snow.. no UAD.
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
leesparey - my Orpheus is connected to the built-in Mac Firewire bus... no other Firewire devices are connected.
@mustgroove

Are you still having problems with yours? Tech Support are working to try and find the problem but we've had no luck so far
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmplisskin View Post
Occasional clicks here on snow.. no UAD.
@mmplisskin - Are you on a mac pro as well?
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob1970 View Post
Hi
some thing, same temporary cure

the finaly cure was a swap to mytek

i use win7/uad quad/tc compact/fireface 800

update: it was a problem of the fireface800 (when it get to hot)
mustgroove
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear nut

@leesparey - yep it still clicks every now & again... the most long-lasting solution seems to be to unplug it from the socket and replug it in - it goes for a while before the clicking starts up again in that scenario.

Everything I've observed about it so far points towards some kind of software issue, since it never clicks when it's running in standalone mode, and disconnecting it from the computer when it's *already* clicking makes the clicking stop...

Every time I contact tech support they just reiterate various combinations of (a) make sure latency isn't too low and (b) make sure you're not overburdening your CPU - both of which completely don't address the fact that the clicking often occurs when the machine has freshly booted, and no apps of any kind have been run.
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
some thing, same temporary cure

the finaly cure was a swap to mytek

i use win7/uad quad/tc compact/fireface 800

update: it was a problem of the fireface800 (when it get to hot)
So you now use a fireface-->spdif-->mytek?

if so what is your opinion on the mytek AD compared to prism?

Quote:

Every time I contact tech support they just reiterate various combinations of (a) make sure latency isn't too low and (b) make sure you're not overburdening your CPU - both of which completely don't address the fact that the clicking often occurs when the machine has freshly booted, and no apps of any kind have been run.
i know its kind of frustrating...

i've got few issues too that remained unsolved.

the point is, worth mentioning, that the sound quality is so good that personally i just can't manage to get really angry.

but if the clicks are audible that's a big poblem.
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Yes i get thicks once in a while, I've been getting them since 2009, and i use XP , the only thing that keeps it at bay is when i take out the AC plug and plug it back in when ready to use.
Make sure also to start the Prism first then put on your computer,other than that it is a very excellent device.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonance5 View Post
So you now use a fireface-->spdif-->mytek?

if so what is your opinion on the mytek AD compared to prism?
mytek is nearly invicible in a good way, prism a bit more euphoriant
mustgroove
19th April 2012
Old 19th April 2012
Gear nut

Thanks for the posts guys, it's interesting that the clicking behaviour seems to be fairly widespread as an issue...

If only Prism had the time/inclination/resources to delve into the drivers a bit & get to the bottom of it, instead of continually giving the same old response of "use higher buffer size and eliminate any CPU hogs/unnecessary processes"
20th April 2012
Old 20th April 2012
Gear interested

I'm just about to try a clean install on a new hard drive to see if that sorts the problem out. It'll be a waste of the cost of the new drive if it doesn't!
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Gear interested

Guess what.......

New hard drive, installed Lion then installed protools and the orpheus control panel

Still getting the clicks

Bit stuck now till Tech Support can look at the system file but feels a bit like there is no solution
mustgroove
19th May 2012
Old 19th May 2012
Gear nut

Bit of a bump on this one... is there anyone out there who *never* gets clicks? Could it perhaps be a hardware fault of some kind that only appears on certain units?
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Gear interested

Funny how I just realized there're silent clicks on the digital out channel 10 minutes before I read your post. I notice the indicator showed there're activities on that channel yet there's no sound at all. Clicked open the software control panel to see what it is. No more click yet.

I guess you can try to close the control panel and turn on again, select between display input and output and see what happens. Do you find it a little annoying that everytime you open the control panel the front display resets to input?
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Frightening stories here for such an hi-end product....
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Gear interested

The clipping is not audible and as OP suspected, it's more likely a software issue rather than hardware issue.
At the end of the day, in front of the sound of Orpheus, nothing else matters.
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Gear addict
Hey mustgroove, zero clicks here.
mustgroove
2nd June 2012
Old 2nd June 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxystudio View Post
The clipping is not audible and as OP suspected, it's more likely a software issue rather than hardware issue.
At the end of the day, in front of the sound of Orpheus, nothing else matters.
In my case, they are most certainly audible.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search