Login / Register

SSL - What is/was regarded as the best pre ?
New Reply
Subscribe
karljohnson
1st February 2012
Old 1st February 2012
Gear addict

SSL - What is/was regarded as the best pre ?

Hi there,
Could anybody tell me or advise me which SSL 4000 desk was regarded as having the best Pre ?
I think I'm right in saying the 'G' series had more headroom then the 'E' but opinions on best sounding and reasons? - I'm a rock/pop guy.
Cheers
Kj
1st February 2012
Old 1st February 2012
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

If I recall, those are the preamps that created the aftermarket preamp biz.

No one raved about SSL sonics back then, it was all about the 'recall'.

Sort of like 1968 when LA studios pulled out the tube consoles and installed Electrodyne and Langivin transistor consoles. The AE's hated the sound and bitched very loudly about that. "We want the tube boards back!"

Now those consoles are collectable. Go figure.
1st February 2012
Old 1st February 2012
member no 666

The "G" pres were better than the "E" pre's... but both kinda sucked. Like Jim mentioned, they helped launch the outboard pre-amp concept as they weren't that great at the best of times [of course they are "vintage" now... so maybe they're better than they were then].

Peace

CN Fletcher

Professional Affiliation:

R/E/P Professional Recording Engineer and Producer forums

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

Roscoe Ambel once said:
Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light
karljohnson
1st February 2012
Old 1st February 2012
Gear addict

So everybody wanted them for E.Q,Dynamics with the best E.Q the black E.Q right ?
kj
1st February 2012
Old 1st February 2012
member no 666

I always like the "02 Air" revision of the EQ best... but the black "242"s are pretty good. The first revision of the dynamics card in the "E series" [the one with the B&B attenuator] was really a favorite... as was the early "gold DBX VCA" version... the later ones seemed to lack balls.

"G" equalizers are good for some things... sometimes a little top end from one on a vocal is a beautiful thing... sometimes they can work on a bass sound... other times they can work on everything if that's all ya gots.

The usefulness for any given task is determined by the user on the day and time of the use... chatter on a message board is all well and good, but seriously means nothing in terms of being applicable to anything you might actually be doing with the tool in your specific application.

Make sense?
1st February 2012
Old 1st February 2012
Lives for gear

They also have a transformer based preamp that was an option on the early boards. I have 11 of them on my console( the rest being G series). Hard to describe the character, kind of hard sounding, but not in a bad way. A bit weak in the bottom compared to a Neve 10xx series for example, but not thin sounding.
1st February 2012
Old 1st February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
The "G" pres were better than the "E" pre's... but both kinda sucked. Like Jim mentioned, they helped launch the outboard pre-amp concept as they weren't that great at the best of times [of course they are "vintage" now... so maybe they're better than they were then].

Peace
So you`re saying that they get better with age? Like wine?

So theres hope for Behringer?

You don`t need any more gear, you need to re-write the chorus.
1st February 2012
Old 1st February 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post

Peace
I think its a little strong to say they suck They are not super nice, but not bad sounding either, I´d rather say perhaps a little boring sounding? 4000, Still best mixing console ever IMO!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search