Resources. SSL 9000K
New Reply
Subscribe
kellyd
3rd May 2006
Old 3rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Resources. SSL 9000K

I need to become as familiar as possible with this console before I show up. I've been on the SSL site but I can't even find a channel layout. I'm not interested in learning the automation inside and out. I'm more concerned about signal path and functions. I've worked on plenty of Tridents and a few older Neve's but not hands on with an SSL. If anyone knows of any sites, forums that would be of help I would appreciate it. I know I have my work cut out for me. Thanks in advance. K.
kellyd
3rd May 2006
Old 3rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Forgot to mention that I've searched GS for threads already. Fletcher's run down was very informative.
3rd May 2006
Old 3rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to djui5
Go back to SSL's site, and under documents, download the 9J's brochure. It's got most of the routing on it.

Then download the "How to XL" brochure. It explains a few of the differences.

The routing on the 9J and 9K are quite similar. The differences can be explained by a qualified assistant.

These consoles are a joy to work on. It's like being in a candy store when your 4 years old.

"What is a crossfire hurricane & why wasn't I born in one?"

Randy Wright
kellyd
3rd May 2006
Old 3rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Been trying to download the pdfs but I keep getting a blank page. I registered but it's a no go. I can download some of the files but not the ones I need. Thanks.
3rd May 2006
Old 3rd May 2006
Lives for gear

what's your e-mail? I'd post them here..but don't wanna get in trouble.
3rd May 2006
Old 3rd May 2006
Gear Guru

Study and get familiar with this:

http://www.recordinginstitute.com/y2kplus/ARP/sslb.html

The basics of the 9000 are built of it.

The automation is a different ball game.

Ask for the best assistant they have who knows it inside and out.

Buy them lunch and tip him/her well afterwards.
3rd May 2006
Old 3rd May 2006
Banned

I have that SSL manual sitting at home I am happy to make you a copy of some of the pages. Also try contacting the studio where you are going to be working and see if they will loan you the manual.
kellyd
3rd May 2006
Old 3rd May 2006
Lives for gear

You guys is the best. I found a way to save the pdf files to disk. So I have the how to and brochure. Thanks djius, thethrillfactor and Zwinter.

Thrill, I'll check the link.
Zwinter, if I can't get enough info I'll take you up on your offer and cover your end. Thanks for the cool gesture.
I have alot of reading. I intend to count on the best in house they have to deal with the technical I don't have time to learn. I'm at a disavantage already. Different room and console. My room is set up the way I think, work and breathe. And it translates. Should be interesting. I'd fess up on the room but it's too soon. GS is such a popular place to be. Thanks again.
3rd May 2006
Old 3rd May 2006
Gear addict

Honestly, the manual will probably help you to some extent, but there is no way you can sit down at a 9k and find your way around the computer without many hours of experience, and trial and error exploration. Fine if your doing a tracking session, but if it's a mix your in for a seriously bad day.
4th May 2006
Old 4th May 2006
Lives for gear

A good assistant can help with the computer. The automation is pretty intuitive with a 5 min lesson, the computer is just odd as it doesn't follow the normal -subjects at the top with pull down menus- like every other computer in the world, but you don't need to do much with it besides save or take a snapshot.
-brian
4th May 2006
Old 4th May 2006
Lives for gear

actually, if your running automation, syncing the desk to pro-tools, or things of that sort you'll need to computer quite a bit. The assistant should be able to get a handle on that though..if they can't, find a new assistant.
kellyd
4th May 2006
Old 4th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm hoping to depend on whose helping in house to worry about what I need and get me there. My concern is being able to do enough of what I do and worry about the mix. Otherwise I'm screwed. There's no way in hell I can get up on the automation in time esp without exp on SSLs. I don't do too many moves except for some swells and pans on the material we're doing. Most of the board settings will be a set and forget it. Everything else will be taken care inside the daw. The vocals etc.. will be level by the time I get it there so I won't have to do too many rides. At least knowing as much as I'm learning will prepare me as much as can be expected. I should be able to do some of the simple moves I need. At the end of it all, I'm more interested in the sonics and eq/comp sections of the console. Some simple tricks like bypassing the VCAs on the master and setting groups to specific faders. I'll read up.
I have to say thanks again. The support you guys show is really helpful.
4th May 2006
Old 4th May 2006
Lives for gear

I always find with things like this, the trick is to grasp the concepts such as signal flow etc.

SSL automation is logical but tricky at first for DAW heads. Yeah make the assitant your new best friend

Because of the desk layout you could insert the channel strips as plug ins and then sum back through the desk if you have enough i/o.

Good luck!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search