500 series 1176
New Reply
Subscribe
rogernumber2
5th January 2012
Old 5th January 2012
Gear maniac

500 series 1176

I know that I need an 1176 type compressor and I have a lunchbox. But, I read about coloration of different processors and I have no idea about whether I like that type of coloration or not. I am looking for advice so that I will have no regrets in a purchase without being able to demo the various 500 series compressors.

What I understand are my options: purple action; bac500; little devil and potion.

I also wonder how well any of these go with the API 512 and sm7.

This is for loud, belted-out, vocal transients mainly.
5th January 2012
Old 5th January 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogernumber2 View Post
I know that I need an 1176 type compressor and I have a lunchbox. But, I read about coloration of different processors and I have no idea about whether I like that type of coloration or not. I am looking for advice so that I will have no regrets in a purchase without being able to demo the various 500 series compressors.

What I understand are my options: purple action; bac500; little devil and potion.

I also wonder how well any of these go with the API 512 and sm7.

This is for loud, belted-out, vocal transients mainly.
I own a JLM Audio FC500.

Its Joe Malones take on the 1176...some extra features.

Its a great device ( I own a number of his bits of gear and they are all sensational)

Its a little tricky to get set up at first, and I wouldn't say if you have never used a compressor before, that this should be your first buy. But, if you have some experience, its capable of great great things.

If you are after an easier compressor, I also own his LA500 which is his take on the LA3A. Its incredibly simple to use, and sounds wonderful. It is also available as a DIY kit, and I built mine. If you can read, and can make a microphone lead, you could build this.

I prefer the FC500 on vocals, myself, but it took some time to get used to the FC500. I also tend to track with the FC500 and then perhaps at mix time, run a little LA500 over it.

JLM AUDIO

Cheers

Wiz
5th January 2012
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

I've got a Purple Action and an 1176 and I would say that while the Action is a tribute to an 1176, it has it's own vibe. I find them to be pretty versatile and cool sounding.. but it definitely does not duplicate the 1176F I have.
5th January 2012
Old 5th January 2012
Gear maniac

if i don't want any regrets then i should probably stay away from the action?

is the fc500 pretty close to the original? can I buy it without any diy?
5th January 2012
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

To have that exact sound you haveto get a real 1176..
The purple is probably not to far off, but with it's own vibe, not the same..
For this kind of stuff I'd look into the new Retro compressor.. Of course not a clone of the 1176.. Or the Tonelux TX5C is quite aggressive, so it might fit your style (I'm selling one btw..and keeping only one)

Oh.. I know I'm going crazy about this, but try an MA5 with that sm7.. It will make it THICK!

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu

www.masterdaelion.com
A new, breaktrough way of reading your music scores.

"If you want to be given everything, give everything up"

www.qtrio.ch

www.studio21.ch

Quote:
We're only as good as the musicians we keep; the same goes for the musicians. - Remoteness
djp
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
djp
Gear maniac

Try a 525 at the end of that sm7 and ma5. Dan
rogernumber2
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
Gear maniac

does the 525 have the super fast attack for the transients? That is why I am thinking of 1176 FET type comp.

I want analog distortion and to be able to handle vocals that are very quiet and then suddenly very loud.
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
Gear nut

I love my Bac 500!
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to parasitk
Quote:
does the 525 have the super fast attack for the transients?
15 µS, which is a touch faster than the 1176's fastest time (20 µS, I believe). But the 525 is fixed at that speed.

Great vocal compressor though!

//Chris
djp
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
djp
Gear maniac

You mention that you already have a lunchbox. I find nothing wrong with going outside the box to try a purple. Brilliant piece. But something about the tone of the 525. For me, it works well with the sm7 and ma5. If you can, just try them. In YOUR studio. Dan
rogernumber2
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
Gear maniac

so the 525 will accomplish what I need it to (tame the vocalist) and I know that I'm not likely to regret that purchase.

The only other thing is that everybody talks about the 1176's special character that it adds to sounds. I read that it adds a clarity which I think my tracks could use but I don't know what that sounds like, having never heard it.

What is different with the 525 vs. 1176? Can you hear a track and tell if either was used?
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

You can probably demo a 525 and an Action via one of the reputable dealers such as Vintage King. I've owned a pair of 525's and I sold them... I just never got my head wrapped around their sound and the controls were always a bit strange for my liking. The 525 is also very transparent IMHO whereas you can really hear the Action... which is what I think you are going for. Try them both out.... in your studio.. with your monitors... with your source material. Otherwise you just have a bunch of guys like me telling what their ears like.
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

forget about squeezing an 1176 into a lunchbox. i have not heard of a good 1176 clone for lunchbox yet.

just get a used 1176 ri or an mc77, the full size units, the real deal, easy to operate and learn. you will not be disappointed! in fact I bet you start looking for a second one.

then you can put you lunchbox on top of it!

VIBE IS KING!
Frogville records ARTISTS of every genre,
musicians playing real instruments, live, in a great room together.
Tracking & Mixing studio w/bunkhouse in Santa Fe New Mexico
http://www.frogvillestudio.com
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Try a 525 at the end of that sm7 and ma5. Dan
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
does the 525 have the super fast attack for the transients? That is why I am thinking of 1176 FET type comp.

I want analog distortion and to be able to handle vocals that are very quiet and then suddenly very loud.
my 525 seems to keep things nice and even and actually not compressed sounding.. brings up some breath and lower level stuff nicely and hits the peaks fast enough that I usually dont do any ITB compression during mix...unless I want that sound. I also have the action and really like them both...don't have an 1176 to compare

Roger Brainard
www.rogerbrainard.com
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWallStudio View Post
I've got a Purple Action and an 1176 and I would say that while the Action is a tribute to an 1176, it has it's own vibe. I find them to be pretty versatile and cool sounding.. but it definitely does not duplicate the 1176F I have.
I also have both PAC and 1176 and while kinda similiar they do sound different. PAC is brighter and more aggresive while 1176 is chunkier and smooth. I have a pair of PACs I dig in the Gtr bus. 1176 on bass, snare ad vocals.
rogernumber2
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWallStudio View Post
You can probably demo a 525 and an Action via one of the reputable dealers such as Vintage King. I've owned a pair of 525's and I sold them... I just never got my head wrapped around their sound and the controls were always a bit strange for my liking. The 525 is also very transparent IMHO whereas you can really hear the Action... which is what I think you are going for. Try them both out.... in your studio.. with your monitors... with your source material. Otherwise you just have a bunch of guys like me telling what their ears like.
does vintage king send it to you and let you try it for awhile and let you send it back to try another one?
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
does vintage king send it to you and let you try it for awhile and let you send it back to try another one?
They have for me. That said, I believe there I have always had an unspoken agreement with V.K. that I would:

1) Do my homework ahead of time and not just make them send me every brand of a certain type of gear.

2) That I would Immediately rack the gear up and run it's through it's paces quickly and not take advantage of it as a "free rental".

3) That I would make my final evaluation and actually purchase one of the items. I supposed I could have returned everything that I have ever gotten on trial, but I've always been happy with at least 1 item... more often I purchased more than one.

4) That I would return all non-purchased gear EXACTLY the way I got it in exactly the same packaging.

All that said, call them up and talk to them... best way to get the ball rolling.
7th January 2012
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I have not used all the comps on the list, but I own the BAC-500. Its an amazing compressor on its own right and I am saving up to buy another, but its really its own thing. It certainly in a similar family as the 1176, but its not really an 1176 in a 500 format.

6-day Recording Boot Camp in LOS ANGELES, August 4-9, 2014
6-day Recording Boot Camp in LOS ANGELES, October 20-25, 2014

7th January 2012
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigfrog View Post
forget about squeezing an 1176 into a lunchbox. i have not heard of a good 1176 clone for lunchbox yet.

just get a used 1176 ri or an mc77, the full size units, the real deal, easy to operate and learn. you will not be disappointed! in fact I bet you start looking for a second one.

then you can put you lunchbox on top of it!
I know of 2 guys doing it now. I would wait to see what they come up with!

Also, I think the API comps are VCA based. I have a pair of the 200 series comps. They are VCA's and I think its the same as the 2500 and the 525. So that would really not be anything like a 1176 which are fet designs.

Credits
Some of the music I have been part of.

Risen Drums
Custom drum company I co-own. I wont pimp our drums here unless you ask.
7th January 2012
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
I know of 2 guys doing it now. I would wait to see what they come up with!
Anyone in particular that i might know?
Are we talking kits or pre assembled 500 series?

www.BeauMckeeRecordings.com
7th January 2012
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

well I think the one will be a kit and the other is a manufacturer so that will probably be a product for release. No idea when either will be ready I just no they are in the works and are actually pretty far down the road of 1176 in 500. Either way its gotta be tricky to get all that mojo in that 500 size. Not for the faint of heart.

If you need something now I only hear great things about the BAC. I know Brad is a smart guy so its gonna sound great.
7th January 2012
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
so the 525 will accomplish what I need it to (tame the vocalist) and I know that I'm not likely to regret that purchase.

The only other thing is that everybody talks about the 1176's special character that it adds to sounds. I read that it adds a clarity which I think my tracks could use but I don't know what that sounds like, having never heard it.

What is different with the 525 vs. 1176? Can you hear a track and tell if either was used?
When I want to tame a vocalist an 1176 is not what I think of first. If I want an aggressive sound then I jump into an 1176. Not that an 1176 can't be used to tame a vocalist but it is not my first gut instinct. The 525 when using the desser can really tame a vocalist but when pushed it can get crazy aggressive. It is one of my favorite vocal compressors. I would be leaning in the direction of an LA-2A type compressor. An La-610 is great, a distressor can awesome to tame a vocal. The 525 can tip its hat to an LA-2a especially if you compress in series either OTB or ITB.
8th January 2012
Old 8th January 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul999 View Post
When I want to tame a vocalist an 1176 is not what I think of first. If I want an aggressive sound then I jump into an 1176. Not that an 1176 can't be used to tame a vocalist but it is not my first gut instinct. The 525 when using the desser can really tame a vocalist but when pushed it can get crazy aggressive. It is one of my favorite vocal compressors. I would be leaning in the direction of an LA-2A type compressor. An La-610 is great, a distressor can awesome to tame a vocal. The 525 can tip its hat to an LA-2a especially if you compress in series either OTB or ITB.
I think that I like the sound of a tube opto compressor best just from plugins that I use. I almost always use the cl1b plug on my tracks. So the la 610 seems like something I definitely would like to try and the distressor too because it does both FET and opto, I've heard.

The main issue is that this will probably be the only compressor I will be able to afford for quite a few years. And it sucks thinking about buying something to put on top of a lunchbox with 1 slot filled and 5 cover plates(waste of space).

I guess I'm thinking 525 or distressor at this point.

The La 610 would be too slow to tame a vocalist, would it not?

So I guess my real best question is: if you could have only one compressor for vocals and you need to do some taming for around a grand what would it be?
8th January 2012
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

So I guess my real best question is: if you could have only one compressor for vocals and you need to do some taming for around a grand what would it be?
Either is great. In the last 3 months I've mixed about 100 songs using the 525 exclusively. I do repair work ITB using a de-esser and ITB compression, eq or what ever else I decide. I then go to my console eq and to the 525 as the final compressor. It is the vibe. I could do the same with the distressor just as easily. I find the distressor a little clean for my tastes. I am all about the vibe though. Either is a great choice. The distressor is more versatile for other sources but IMO the 525 can add vibe to anything.
rogernumber2
8th January 2012
Old 8th January 2012
Gear maniac

thanks paul

I saw this also:
UREI 1176 COMPRESSOR CLONE, TOP SHELF!! WARRANTY! | eBay

if I was going to buy an 1176 reissue would this be a ggod way to go?
I see it's revD mnats build with ed anderson trnasformers. It looks like the ebay seller has a good record. Anything else I should look for? I am leary about buying used stuff that someone made(hopefully did a good job).
8th January 2012
Old 8th January 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Hello Paul999!

What does this mean?

The 525 can tip its hat to an LA-2a especially....
525 before or after.... i dont know this term and checked translation webistes already....
Thank
8th January 2012
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilaci View Post
Hello Paul999!

What does this mean?

The 525 can tip its hat to an LA-2a especially....
525 before or after.... i dont know this term and checked translation webistes already....
Thank
What I meant is that the 525 can act a bit like an LA2A. It can remind me of an LA2A.

I hope that helps.
8th January 2012
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks paul

I saw this also:
UREI 1176 COMPRESSOR CLONE, TOP SHELF!! WARRANTY! | eBay

if I was going to buy an 1176 reissue would this be a ggod way to go?
I see it's revD mnats build with ed anderson trnasformers. It looks like the ebay seller has a good record. Anything else I should look for? I am leary about buying used stuff that someone made(hopefully did a good job).
Well, you're right to be leery. With something like that you're going to get no warranty and no customer support. If something goes wrong it's all on you. However there is a HUGE amount of support over at the group-diy forums for those builds, so if you're at all DIY inclined you should be able to track the problem down. But then again if you're that DIY inclined why not just build the thing yourself? The process will definitely teach you how to fix whatever problems may come up.

StrangeWeatherBrooklyn.com
8th January 2012
Old 8th January 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
What I meant is that the 525 can act a bit like an LA2A. It can remind me of an LA2A.

I hope that helps.
Ah yes gREAT!!!!

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search