New Reply
Subscribe
KT1
16th December 2011
Old 16th December 2011
Lives for gear

New workflow - It's time to go outboard - Need advice

Slutz,

I have been going back and forth with the idea of outboard. I continue to upgrade the quality of my ITB applications and plugins but am consistently reminded by the outboard workflow which i have been exposed to while in a number of sessions. This isn't a sound quality debate. I just love the hands on and listen approach - Grab knobs and turn them.

I am not an engineer and am production focussed. I predominantly work with digital audio. Post recording or sample/audio recorded from analogue synths and other basic instrumentation.

I like to work in ableton live and am currently using an RME FF 800 interface. Currently i have my synths going straight into the line I/O on the interface.

So:

I am awaiting my delivery of my UBK FATSO and will also be investing in the clariphonic.

I am looking for ways to fatten and treat audio within my box in a number of flavours. Comp/EQ.

This is what i have in mind:

-BAE 1073 - It has DI so i can run synths/samples through it. Plus i have access to the EQ and pre.

- Chandler TG2 EMI/Abbey Road Special edition dual mono mic/lineDI pre:
I'm thinking i can drive this puppy to get some nice harmonic distortion. Again DI which fits putpose

Chandler TG1 - EMI Abbey Road Special edition stero Comp.
Limiter/compressor - had a harmonic distortion function.

Question: So it's obvious that I am looking for some compression/saturation/distortion and EQ. The Pre's are a bonus - I'm really all about sound shaping tools. I mostly make urban music and look for MOJO machines hence the valved analogue approach.

It would be great to have this in a nice small rack that i can transport.

I figure with the fatso - i get some compression flavours and saturation
Clariphonic - EQ
TG1- Limit/comp with some harmonic distortion - another comp flavour with some mojo or can just run for distortion.

Do you think this would make sense considering i do very little recording. Some vocals, rest is all synths or would you suggest a different approach. Perhaps some independant comp/eq's and soundshaping tools?

Probably need to think about a patch bay as well.

Thanks in advance.

God Bless
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear maniac

I'm about to follow the same route as you. Have been mixing EDM/Urban music 100% ITB using UAD-1 plugs with sounds mostly generated ITB (samples, soft synths) and additional guitar and vocals (TLM103 - VT 737 - MOTU 828 chain).

After working on my mixing skills (I'm more producer than engineer) and with carefully selecting the right source material, I still consider my mixes a bit 1 dimensional and lacking low-mid fatness and depth.

Recently I've ordered a UAD2-solo (still in backorder), so I'll be able to use the Fatso and the Studer plugs. However, I'm wondering if digital plugs can fix what I'm missing or that I would also need high end analogue tracking outboard for shaping/distorting individual sounds to give them more mojo. Thermionic Rooster, EL Fatso or Aurora GTQ-2 come to mind. Unfortunately they don't come cheap...

So did you buy that extra outboard and did it make a world of difference compared to ITB solutions like UAD Fatso and Studer? How do UAD Fatso and UBK Fatso compare?
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Gear maniac

In the last months I've received the UAD Duo, bought the Studer and Fatso plugs and had the opportunity to try and test The Rooster and HEDD. Very nice equipment, but not a big difference to my overall ITB sound. I've also listened to a few summing mixers shootouts, but couldn't hear any big differences there too.
However, since testing Focal CMS65 nearfields I seem to hear more depth and a wider panning in mixes and I also tend to mix 'warmer' and less 'digital' now. Not the conclusion I would quiet expect, but it got me better mixing, lol.
So did you test and buy new analogue gear for this purpose?
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Geariophile

I'd say, yes, you definitely want a patchbay.

And if I were you I would consider a bunch of (now) cheap outboard too. Plenty good flavours to be had for little money. I would loose the TG and instead get a Radioman compressor off german ebay. This is a guy rebuilding Audio&Design F600 comps and it is wicked and cheap. Then spend the rest on things like e.g. Dynacord DRP15, Korg DRV1000, Midiverb II, some pedals perhaps....all just suggestions, but point being MORE useful flavours for your budget. Remember, each box is also another potential type of saturation/distortion. The Midiverb burns very nicely when abused......

Unless you want the neve'ish pre, you could save by getting a Square state solid state eq or two instead of the Bae too....those things KILL!! Inductor eq's for little cash. FAT bottom, electric sizzling top. Look into a couple of CAPI VP28's with the saved cash.

Just some suggestions......

EDIT: Wooops, fell into the 'old thread' trap......
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search