Originally Posted by Joram View Post
+1
Neumann M149... great mic !

One more, +1
evilrocker
19th June 2012
Old 19th June 2012
Gear addict

Interesting, have no experience in Gefell mics, how is this one? Not too forward in hi miss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
There are a few Gefells in budget that use the original Neumann M7 capsule.

OK - I am now the Gefell distributor for the UK, but as you said €uros it does not affect me at all.
evilrocker
20th June 2012
Old 20th June 2012
Gear addict

I just received a Bock 195, sounds smooth, tried it on both ac gtr and vocals. Does it only go up to 16k? Sounds airy enough to me.
20th June 2012
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

Was in the same situation, chose the TLM67...not that I tried many others, I just can't at this time. But we rented it for a demo and it was perfect. Flat and classy. You may find better, but you can surely find alot worse. I suggest you try it before you make a final decision!

best of luck
20th June 2012
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

Try the Neumann TLM102. It is very natural in my opinion and definitely smooth in comparison to a lot of microphones. It is a steal for around $600 new.
Denver, CO
proaudio529@mac.com
www.529proaudio.com
evilrocker
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Gear addict

Thx I will take a look, also got a u87ai today for testing.
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilrocker View Post
Thx I will take a look, also got a u87ai today for testing.

Interested to hear your impressions of u87ai vs ref c
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

This thread has evolved nicely over time. Evilrocker, the suspense is getting to me. You have had some interesting candidates. Good luck.
evilrocker
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Gear addict

Yeah, I've grown tired of guessing and that's why im testing. I have also realized that what one thinks is a bright mic, might be airy to someone else.

I have made my tests in a reated room and with two Gik screenpanels behind me.

Well anyway, to me the U87ai and Manley ref c are totally different. To me the u87 has the same mid forward character as peluso 2247, pearman tm1 etc, on my low (dark) voice it sounds thin and boxy. The manley suited my voice well, but a tad too much of upper highs, but with eg ma5 it was very polished, but for me a bit pricey.

But the bock 195 with fat switch on made my voice come alive, the low boost really made it. To me it also made the acoustic guitar shine also the ugly mids are gone.

Over the weekend i will try them in
Our rehearsel room, a much much bigger room, will report again.

But to me, the u87ai, nothing special, plain boring, there cheaper mics that will give better results. The manley is a different story if you got the cash.
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Gear Head

Why not rent a few hours at a local recording studio and audition their mic locker?
evilrocker
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2288 View Post
Why not rent a few hours at a local recording studio and audition their mic locker?
Even a better idea, actually my wife suggested that yesterday!
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

I did that a while ago. Fell in love with the Geffel UM92.1 It's nothing short of stunning into a Neve. At least on my voice. The only thing you won't know is how it sounds when you bring it back into your environment.
https://www.facebook.com/hightolerance

It's the indian, not the arrow...
evilrocker
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
I did that a while ago. Fell in love with the Geffel UM92.1 It's nothing short of stunning into a Neve. At least on my voice. The only thing you won't know is how it sounds when you bring it back into your environment.
That's also true, maybe I could go to a local studio and ask them to lend me all their mics e :D
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Yeah, I've grown tired of guessing and that's why im testing. I have also realized that what one thinks is a bright mic, might be airy to someone else.

Well anyway, to me the U87ai and Manley ref c are totally different. To me the u87 has the same mid forward character as peluso 2247, pearman tm1 etc, on my low (dark) voice it sounds thin and boxy. The manley suited my voice well, but a tad too much of upper highs, but with eg ma5 it was very polished, but for me a bit pricey.

But the bock 195 with fat switch on made my voice come alive, the low boost really made it. To me it also made the acoustic guitar shine also the ugly mids are gone.

But to me, the u87ai, nothing special, plain boring, there cheaper mics that will give better results. The manley is a different story if you got the cash.
So you like the bock more than the manley reference cardioid on your voice? Did you try the manley on the acoustic?
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Rob Ellis
Quote:
But to me, the u87ai, nothing special, plain boring, there cheaper mics that will give better results
True, others may sound better to your ear initially.

But will they:
  • take compression and EQ
  • sit in the mix as well

as the U87? Some might, many won't.
evilrocker
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodeath View Post
So you like the bock more than the manley reference cardioid on your voice? Did you try the manley on the acoustic?
Yes I did, the Manley was great for acoustic guitar, even though I think that the Bock made the guitar sound fuller. So in a mix with the guitars in the background I would prefer the Manley but If an sing/song wrighter stuff with just vocals and acoustic guitar I would prefer the Bock.
evilrocker
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ellis View Post
True, others may sound better to your ear initially.

But will they:
  • take compression and EQ
  • sit in the mix as well

as the U87? Some might, many won't.
Actually I tried my api 5500 and Mc77 and it worked extremly well. Low shelf 50 -2db boosted a little top, and I could easy go for 8:1 fastest attack, medium release and compress it 4-6db to hold the guitar in place without sound squashed.

They u87 takes eq well also but again I found myself cutting the mids... again
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Here are my past observations about the u87ai, I see we have a very different voice, but our conclusions about the u87ai were the same, in totally different situations. Don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a u87ai bashing, but I felt it was interesting to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ludovico View Post
From the thread Anybody got a U87 and TLM67? on 25th Mar 2012

I have tried both, the TLM67 through vintech and the u87ai through SSL Alpha channel.

I have a high pitched, slightly nasal voice, and the u87ai is like a magnifying glass for this. Totally ugly. The tlm67 on the other hand, sounded so nice, neutral, not too polished, and did not feel hyped in any way anywhere in the spectrum, like the u87ai can be on the high mids.

To give it a fair shot, the preamp used with the tlm67 was better, but still, I got a pretty good idea of the character.

Bottom line is, I want a tlm67, and I don't want a u87ai.
Quote:
From the thread Higher end Gear you've hated? on 6th Aug 2006

I was underwhelmed by the U87ai and the SSL Alpha Channel used together.

The u87ai had this high mid bump that was freakin' ugly on my voice. The SSL, well... First of all, it looks like cheap gear, and it's sound is too clean for my taste. It's all about taste afterall...Maybe the combination was the key here, but while the u87ai might sound better through a different mic pre, it's character will not change. It's a no no for me...

If this mic is one of the most popular mics around, we're probably not talking about the ai version (I have never heard older versions but general consensus seems to be that they're warmer) because I can't see how this mic would fit the bill for an all around mic in a studio. This high mid bump is really nasty! Especially if you have a high pitched voice like me!
Quote:
From the thread Brauner Phantera, Blue Kiwi and Neumann TLM67 on 14th Dec 2011

Hello,

I'm seeking some help in knowing the real life differences between these 3 microphones, as I'm looking for a vocal mic in that price range...

To give a certain perspective, I have recorded with a u87ai which I did not like at all, being too hyped in the high mids. It did not suit my high pitched voice at all, which can turn a little nasal when pushed. For sure, it was only an SSL Alpha Channel, but i'm not sure the pre is the faulty guy in the chain (though it didn't help)

I don't want ANY mic with high mid bumps.
evilrocker
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Here are my past observations about the u87ai, I see we have a very different voice, but our conclusions about the u87ai were the same, in totally different situations. Don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a u87ai bashing, but I felt it was interesting to share.
Just a proof that a u87ai doesn't fit everyone!

But on monday I will receive a TLM67 and a tiny tiny 102 e

Last edited by evilrocker; 21st June 2012 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: added more
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Tlm 49 is tailored for a finished vocal sound
evilrocker
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Gear addict

Really? I will give that one a try also, but isnt that also that 49 mid forward thing?
22nd June 2012
Old 22nd June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really? I will give that one a try also, but isnt that also that 49 mid forward thing?
My thought as well?

Anyway, evilrocker, I can't wait to hear your impressions on the TLM67 and your observations on the TLM102 compared to it (and by itself as well)
23rd June 2012
Old 23rd June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well anyway, to me the U87ai and Manley ref c are totally different. To me the u87 has the same mid forward character as peluso 2247, pearman tm1 etc, on my low (dark) voice it sounds thin and boxy.
My impression of the 2247LE is that there are two things going on that bring out the mids; there's considerable resonance in the housing, and there's something in the circuitry that adds additional harmonic content. It's not just an electronic emphasis EQing up mids. It makes the mids very rich, but consequently it's not the smoothest mic in the world. It can also bring out sibilance if the sound hits the capsule on-axis. Personally, I like the 2247LE a lot, but it's not a mic that's going to work on everything, or in every room.
23rd June 2012
Old 23rd June 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Rob Ellis
IME TLM 49 is either hit or miss

U87=safer bet on most sources.

IMO if you are going to be recording a variety of voices, be careful with the TLM49, and also make sure it works well on your own voice. It can be shrill on the wrong voice, to my ear.
24th June 2012
Old 24th June 2012
Lives for gear

Keep us posted Evilrocker. Good luck.
evilrocker
3rd November 2012
Old 3rd November 2012
Gear addict

Stiiiiiiill haven't found.... what I'm looking for (singing)
But I'm enjoying a C414 ULS on my vocals at the moment.
3rd November 2012
Old 3rd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon View Post
Lemme clarify here...

There is no real standard for measuring microphones. With that in mind, you can't sit there and compare two frequency plots from different manufacturers because the circumstances in which those two measurements are likely very different.

<snipped>
Is that true? I thought that the standard for the frequency plots is one meter from the source. Having said that, nobody should put too much faith in them unless everything being recorded is a meter away....
3rd November 2012
Old 3rd November 2012
Gear addict

Check out the Beesneez mics. They are having a year end sale with some very good pricing.
3rd November 2012
Old 3rd November 2012
Lives for gear

I have come to loathe that ever-present
presence peak present in most present mics.

(see what I did there?)

Check out the Neumann TML 170 R... one of my
absolute favorite mics... incredibly versatile
withOUT the freakin peak.

See the freq response chart on the Neumann website.
3rd November 2012
Old 3rd November 2012
Gear addict

Yes but what is the difference between a mic being hyped in 10k and boosting 10k yourself?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search