Login / Register

Old tlm 103 vs new tlm 103
New Reply
Subscribe
20th November 2011
Old 20th November 2011
Geariophile

The left one looks normal and the right one like a curious skinny thing. Never seen a skinny one like that. Odd.
20th November 2011
Old 20th November 2011
Lives for gear

Yep, definitely different. Mine is in the 6000, too (which makes me wonder if they started at 0, but that's another story) and is like the one on the left, including the matte screw thread near the bottom.

Could the right be a counterfeit or are all new ones like that?

BTW does Martin Schneider from Neumann post here?

Henk
20th November 2011
Old 20th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT5 View Post
First ; I post this in high end as I think the members here now mikes way better than the 103 as well, and can probably judge this better than some guys in other GS sections that own a bunch of chinese crap Mikes and nothing else ... (don't want to offend anybody though)

Has anybody else noticed that older 103's look and sound very different from the new onces? I bought 2 when they where just on the market. I recently had them side by side with 2 new onces. The older once are a couple off mm's longer and slightly wider. The mesh protecting the capsule is different (new onces have much 'finer' mesh). And even the capsules look slightly different.

I have read a lot of bad stuff about 103's. Mostly about it being harsh sounding. I never understood why. My 103's are on the bright side but certainly not harsh. Now I heard the new onces and I understand the critisism.

Does anybody know if Neumann changed factories, capsule, electronics...??? I can post some examples if somebody wants to hear for themselves.
I have a vintage 103 just FYI. And I handle it with white gloves.

You don`t need any more gear, you need to re-write the chorus.
20th November 2011
Old 20th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT5 View Post
First ; I post this in high end as I think the members here now mikes way better than the 103 as well, and can probably judge this better than some guys in other GS sections that own a bunch of chinese crap Mikes and nothing else ... (don't want to offend anybody though)
...really?...

...seems "a bunch of chinese crap Mikes" mugged your TLM103...call the cops!

Stellar CM4 CM6 Review | recording hacks
Attached Thumbnails
Old tlm 103 vs new tlm 103-stellar-vox.jpg   Old tlm 103 vs new tlm 103-stellar-harpguitar.jpg  
20th November 2011
Old 20th November 2011
Gear addict

Amazing? Isn't it? Both bought at a respectable pro audio store so nothing of eBay / chinese ripoffs ...
20th November 2011
Old 20th November 2011
Gear addict

Well come one. We all know that older = better! Just a shame this doesn't quite blanketly apply to romantic partners too.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search