Can I replace my MPC 4000 Sampler with a Rosetta
panther
26th March 2006
Old 26th March 2006
Gear maniac

Can I replace my MPC 4000 Sampler with a Rosetta

I want to move toward an DAW based set up using a mixer, pres and rack of effects for the front end for warmth and not need a 2 channel rosetta basically to record my mixes. I want to mix in analog

I am wonder if anyone is using a soundcard as a sampler. I dont like the idea of using a MOTU as I dont like the A/D on them. My MPC 4000 has exellent sample rate but I wonder it's overkill to have if I'm just using it's sample engine if I am using logic as my sequecer.

thanks pants
26th March 2006
Old 26th March 2006
Lives for gear

The sound on the MPC4K isn't really that distinctive. I think you could use the EXS24 sampler in Logic, or just Battery, or Mach 5, or similar, and achieve the exact things that you are now, if you are using Logic as the sequencer.
panther
26th March 2006
Old 26th March 2006
Gear maniac

MPC

I do not dispute that the MPC4000s D/A is not distinctive. My question is about its A/D. Can't its sampling function be replaced and even substitutes by a soundcard such as a rosetta? ARe people on this board using sound cards to records audio, say from vinyl?
27th March 2006
Old 27th March 2006
Gear nut

I use my 4000 either by sampling direct into the unit and/or by sending wav's via aksys as recorded in Pro Tools via the 192 interface (often from vinyl). I don't really distinguish a major difference between output from the 4000 samples and direct aksys'ed wav's from the DAW when using samples from a source like vinyl.... The 4000 sounds great, but for me its more about how it works as an instrument when you use it with the onboard sequencer, this is probably the most important point. Depending on the music you're making you still can't (for me) get that instant vibe from programming on the computer based sequencer as opposed to hitting the pads and seeing what happens. . .

I'd check the www.mpc-forums.com for very specific info for this unit, often the discussion there is not quite so pro as on Gearslutz but you may get more info. An alternative maybe to use the ADAT option to go direct and bypass any A/D to the DAW if thats a problem but often its what you put after the analogue output that helps give it a little extra. .... If i've got your question wrong, apologies..
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search