NEVE 88D???
New Reply
Subscribe
BIG_MYDUS
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
Gear maniac

NEVE 88D???

ANY NEWS FROM U.S ROADSHOW??? AND ALL THOSE WHO WENT TO THE EUROPEAN ROADSHOW WHAT DID U THINK OF THE DESK???

SOUND?
FEEL?
FEATURES?
IS IT AS GOOD AS A SSL C200/C300?

IF YOU HAD THE MONEY WOULD U BUY ONE?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
Gear maniac

ill check in after tuesday....roadshow day here.
BIG_MYDUS
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
Gear maniac

ONE PERSON???IS THAT IT......WHERE ARE ALL THE ROADSHOW SLUTZ?? ROADSHOW MUST BE EMPTY
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to djui5
18th March 2006
Old 18th March 2006
High End Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Overall it's a cool console. We didn't have a chance to hear it (some case fell off the truck and a major component was damaged or something). It does everything the Sony does and then some, and it looks cooler. The automation is egrat in sofar that you can keep basically every single automation pass and get back to it later. Yes, if the Sonys died and I had the money I would go for it (would have to hear it first, though) thumbsup

[URL="http://www.michaelwagener.com/html/news.html"]New mixing workshop scheduled for July 20th through July 24th (one day after Summer NAMM). Bring your own files and we mix them together.
UPDATE: the July workshop is completely sold out, more workshops will be scheduled probably in August [URL]

BIG_MYDUS
22nd March 2006
Old 22nd March 2006
Gear maniac

Rep
22nd March 2006
Old 22nd March 2006
Rep
Lives for gear

Price ?.... Is it one of the " if you have to ask, you cant afford it "... deals
22nd March 2006
Old 22nd March 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep
Price ?.... Is it one of the " if you have to ask, you cant afford it "... deals
yes....the Neve rep explained that the processing (AD/DA and DSP) rack has multiple cards, each with multiple processors that can handle 40 channels each (up to 96k, higher sample rates=reduced track count)...each card is several thousand pounds..i think about $12,000 USD percard (dont quote me!!!), and up to 20 cards can be used simultaneously, for up to 1000 channels.

The board itself was pretty sweet, you can tell they spent alot of time designing it so it feels like an analogue console.

Unfortunately, we didnt get to hear it either, they had a new radar nyquist, but it was hooked up to the 8816, which is what they are really trying to sell...because obviously a bunch of SAE students arent going to be able to drop six figures, but $3250 isnt that unreasonable...if you are in need of summing mixer. I dont have much basis to compare it to, but it sounded pretty sweet.

the remote 1081's are pretty nifty, but i cant imagine that they sound identical to the originals....what i found amusing/scary was when he pulled a 1081 out of the rack, and showed us the inside, 3/4 of the space was filled with control circuitry, the actual mic pre was perhaps 3"x3"
22nd May 2006
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener
Overall it's a cool console. We didn't have a chance to hear it (some case fell off the truck and a major component was damaged or something). It does everything the Sony does and then some, and it looks cooler. The automation is egrat in sofar that you can keep basically every single automation pass and get back to it later. Yes, if the Sonys died and I had the money I would go for it (would have to hear it first, though) thumbsup
Seems like SSL got it right, though, with their AWS900(0?). DAW control A*N*D ssl mic pres/channel strips? that's a much better package IMO.. You can track with the ssl! and then mix through the ssl channels! no?

chris rojas
www.rmistudios.com
23rd May 2006
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rguaguanco
Seems like SSL got it right, though, with their AWS900(0?). DAW control A*N*D ssl mic pres/channel strips? that's a much better package IMO.. You can track with the ssl! and then mix through the ssl channels! no?

chris rojas
www.rmistudios.com
i like the AWS 900 too, but the fact that AWS=analog and 88D=digital puts them in apples and oranges category IMHO. too different to compare.

as far as features, 24 channels (no expansion option) as opposed to 1000 possible channels? 4 dynamics on console as opposed to 1 p/channel on the other. total recall vs. total reset? no comparison either.
23rd May 2006
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear addict

Mike from Vintage King said the 88D's start at about $90k. Which is actually fairly reasonable considering the Digidesign Icon starts at about the same, but it feels and sounds like you're recording in a space ship. And doesn't the AWS9000 start at about $200,000?

Capricoorns are all digital too, aren't they?
23rd May 2006
Old 23rd May 2006

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelbin
Mike from Vintage King said the 88D's start at about $90k. Which is actually fairly reasonable considering the Digidesign Icon starts at about the same, but it feels and sounds like you're recording in a space ship. And doesn't the AWS9000 start at about $200,000?

Capricoorns are all digital too, aren't they?
It's the other way around.... AWS900 is 90k and the 88D is 200k.

I played with one at the AES show. Sounded nice and had a cool working surface. A bit plastic, but still good.
Soundwise I found it to sound better than any PT plugin. The compressor smakked and the eq was kind of smooth.

/L
23rd May 2006
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear addict

i heard ist at the sae vienna...

i quite liked the sound of the console...the eqs sounded sweet, even if you added some 15db of high frequencies...

the compressor sounded really good to...even compared to the comp on the neve vr

its very logical layed out and feels very analog...

so, if i had the money i would probably buy it...but i donĀ“t know the ssl and other stuff
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search