A condenser mic without presence hype?
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

A condenser mic without presence hype?

I am looking for advice on finding a good condenser mic without too much of a presence boost at the top end. I often record a female vocalist who is operatically trained, so when she belts out rock songs in full chest voice things can get a little harsh. I am picking up an EV RE20 to try as an altenative, but what I really prefer is a condenser. I have a good range of preamps.... Does anyone have any suggestions for mics that can handle loud bright female vox without adding too much hype? So far the best I have is a Milab DC63, but I am looking for any other ideas.
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by triez
I am looking for advice on finding a good condenser mic without too much of a presence boost at the top end. I often record a female vocalist who is operatically trained, so when she belts out rock songs in full chest voice things can get a little harsh. I am picking up an EV RE20 to try as an altenative, but what I really prefer is a condenser. I have a good range of preamps.... Does anyone have any suggestions for mics that can handle loud bright female vox without adding too much hype? So far the best I have is a Milab DC63, but I am looking for any other ideas.
Try a shure KSM 32
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

The 414-BULS has a little bit of a dip at 3-4k, that might be what you're looking for.

Are you absolutely sure it has to be a condenser? Would a ribbon be right for your singer?

Hope this helps!
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy
Try a shure KSM 32
What Mixer guy said!!!
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

The Neumann U89 has even a small dip in the frequnecy range about 4k to 8k.
I find the U89 to be the better mic compared to the U89 regarding resolution and less graininess. Reslly good for lot of female voices.
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

Neumann M49 or Sound Delux E49?
Old 13th March 2006
Gear interested

Why not a Royer ribbon?

The Royer 122 ribbon mics have great transient response and can simulate a condenser mic beautifully with a little hi freq boost if desired. Plenty of NATURAL sounding top end with NO hi end hype.

The R122 although figure 8 have amazing null points (sides and top) and are quite directional at reasonable distance. I take advantage of these null points as they allow me to isolate other intruments, drums or ambience.

I own 4 and consider them among the bset sounding mics being made today.

If you need a condeser mic for other reasons consider a Shoeps. They do not have a hyped hi end. Very defined yet warm.
Old 13th March 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adebar
I find the U89 to be the better mic compared to the U89 regarding resolution and less graininess. Reslly good for lot of female voices.
I assume you're talking about the U87 here?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search