? for people using MOTU HD192 w Big Ben
New Reply
Subscribe
CorkyTart
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
Lives for gear

? for people using MOTU HD192 w Big Ben

I've got the 192 and I'm thinking about getting a Big Ben but I want to know from the people who have this set up, how much of an improvement the BB makes. Lets say your MOTU BB setup now sounds at its best, say a 10, in your opinion, what would the rating be without the BB?

Thanks
CT
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
Gear maniac

I would say about a 7. I have had great results with my HD192 BB set up. So much so that I don't plan to upgrade unless something groundbreaking comes out and ofcourse if I can afford it. For now I have close to stellar conversion and the difference between my set up and the high end Benchmark, Lavry, apogee is purely subjective. You should check out www.blacklionaudio.com they do mods on motu gear which supposedly improves the analog circuits. Get the BB you won't be sorry.
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
Harmless Wacko

It helps a lot as far as I'm concerned.

I have also checked into the aforementioned mods, and have been told by Matt @ BLA that he is currently also completing work on a clock mod that will drop the jitter by a VERY substantial amount. Like HUGE.

Which I'm hoping may kill 2 birds with one stone.

As I have 5 rigs and 2 clocks. HOHOHO.

Best,

SM.
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperman
It helps a lot as far as I'm concerned.

I have also checked into the aforementioned mods, and have been told by Matt @ BLA that he is currently also completing work on a clock mod that will drop the jitter by a VERY substantial amount. Like HUGE.

Which I'm hoping may kill 2 birds with one stone.

As I have 5 rigs and 2 clocks. HOHOHO.

Best,

SM.
So I take it you would sell the Big Ben clocks if the BLA clock mod is a success?
I also have HD192s and have been thinking about the Big Ben not only for the improved clock, but also for its ability to work in vari-speed mode for overdubs.
11th March 2006
Old 11th March 2006
Lives for gear

7/10ish is generally what I've haard from others, I'll rent one and make a judgement on it. Thanks for the info.
12th March 2006
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

The BB makes a very big difference to the HD192. Without it, it's def a 7. When I first hooked it up I was pretty blown away. The one thing though is the DA's on the 192 are not amazing, but the AD is quite good(it will do the job). Also, I find the 192 sounds noticeably better running at 96K. Still though the Rosetta/BB combo is a step up in my world.
12th March 2006
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
So I take it you would sell the Big Ben clocks if the BLA clock mod is a success?
I also have HD192s and have been thinking about the Big Ben not only for the improved clock, but also for its ability to work in vari-speed mode for overdubs.
Call me sceptical but I'm not sure Matt could 'fix' a MOTU clock to make it as good as the Big Ben or Lavry clocks; though I hear his mods do wonders for the analog stage. I would keep the Big Ben even if I had the Blacklion mods done.

Also, what do you mean about working in vari-speed mode for overdubs?
12th March 2006
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS
Also, what do you mean about working in vari-speed mode for overdubs?
When recording on a analog deck its a fairly common technique to speed the deck up and record something like, say drums to the sped up track so that when you bring it back down to normal speed the drums and cymbals are at a lower pitch than normal.....You can create some really cool sounds this way but most DAWS dont have a vari-speed mode... So the master clock is used to create the same effect.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search