Login / Register

New Monitors - Klein Hummel O300 or...
New Reply
Subscribe
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Geariophile

Get some PSI A21m's and be stunned by the ridiculously correct phase and impulse behaviour.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce View Post
Get 0300 with two 0800subs and be stunned by the massive sound you can get by open up the headroom.
You think this setup is good for both mixing...& mastering?
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
That's true. You can listen louder.
Is it a PA system we're talking here ? or a nearfield monitoring system ?
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

may i ask if some have compared de 300 with the Adam S2X or event opal ? xmas gift for myself !!
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to studjo Send a message via Skype™ to studjo
I compared em to the Adam S3 (don't remember the exact model number) -> long story short: they smoked the Adams for breakfast ...
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

A good mix will sound ok on the o300's, a bad mix will sound bad. If you get your mix sounding great on them, it should sound killer on other systems.

That said, asking for other people's opinions on monitor speakers is like asking "is Blue a good color?"
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
That said, asking for other people's opinions on monitor speakers is like asking "is Blue a good color?"
Yeah but come on, some of these monitors on the market are not even close to 1/2 accurate & the world would've been a better place if they were never made. Chances are 9 out of 10 people would love listening to a pair of K&Hs & their mixes would show it. Plus I found when it comes to studio monitors u really do get what u pay for.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthrill View Post
Yeah but come on, some of these monitors on the market are not even close to 1/2 accurate & the world would've been a better place if they were never made.
Exactly, and we have to thank the person who decided to place a speaker in a BOX... he/she created the biggest source of coloring in speaker design... and people keep on using this flawed concept all over the planet.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans_beiger View Post
Exactly, and we have to thank the person who decided to place a speaker in a BOX... he/she created the biggest source of coloring in speaker design... and people keep on using this flawed concept all over the planet.

Exactly.

Which is why I use full-range dipole Linkwitz Orions with subs.

Orion photos

They kick the asses all of these speakers.

And the detail in the SEAS tweeters is crazy.

I'm looking forward to the new LX251s!

We may be getting some soon, but we'll see. Anyway, it will be interesting to hear them.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/LX521/Description.htm

For closed box 5.1 monitors - I use Tyler Acoustics Linbrooks also with SEAS drivers (soon with subs).

Just so I can remember what closed box speakers sound like.

Anyway, BOT and FWIW - I really did like the sound of the 0 300s when I heard them years ago.

Are the new Neumanns EXACTLY the same?

Does anyone own them?

Studio Cat i7 + RME UFX + Linkwitz Orions + Tyler Acoustics Linbrooks + Buzz Audio ARC + GT-67 + Sonar + Komplete + Omnisphere-Trilian-Stylus + Symphobia + Mo-Tone Custom Tele
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear addict

My Studio

Isn´t it only the mid driver which is lacking its own cabinet?
The bass driver needs one (if you don´t want a front at the size of a whole room). And the tweeter normally comes with its own...

Please show me a ls which is completely lacking its box....
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Sqye u have great taste in speakers. I'm lookn at the Linkwitz website...wow!!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah but come on, some of these monitors on the market are not even close to 1/2 accurate & the world would've been a better place if they were never made. Chances are 9 out of 10 people would love listening to a pair of K&Hs & their mixes would show it. Plus I found when it comes to studio monitors u really do get what u pay for.
No debate there.
What i was trying to convey though, is that one should listen for oneself (preferably in their own environment).
You do get what you pay for, but what works good for me might not be the best suit for the next person. Our ears and notions are all different.
FWIW, i love the o300's. Very satisfied customer.
It's all about what works best for the operator. Getting good monitors is all about getting the best translation with minimal hassle. There are several 'good' and fairly accurate monitors. Each will 'sound' different to the other though.
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

I hear u & agree. One thing's for sure tho. Life is just too short to listen on bad monitors. Noone should have to. I'm getn ready for a big purchase & will never look back once I have em in the studio & running. I will sell off my old ones & the name of those midfields will never come out of my mouth again. It'll be like a old relationship u never care to discuss. U know?

24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hear u & agree. One thing's for sure tho. Life is just too short to listen on bad monitors. Noone should have to. I'm getn ready for a big purchase & will never look back once I have em in the studio & running. I will sell off my old ones & the name of those midfields will never come out of my mouth again. It'll be like a old relationship u never care to discuss. U know?

I hear ya!
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans_beiger View Post
Hans how did i know u owned some KRKs? What a coincidence. Anyway I just picked up new pair of E8Bs Exposes yesterday. One thing I'm feelin about these is the lack of a truly square enclosure, the flawed concept. Ha ha. Yes it's square-ish but more round than anything. I really think it helps the sound a lot & other speaker companies should take note. I can hear every single thing that a mix has w/ these things. How much low end it has, parallel compression, distortion processing, etc. I could never tell all of that w/ any other speaker & I heard a lot of em. Glad the Americans are still making a great speaker. That's all. W/ my JBL sub life is good.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Sqye u have great taste in speakers. I'm lookn at the Linkwitz website...wow!!

Yeah, SL doesn't skreeew around!

The Orions do sound fantastic.

I'm looking forward to hearing my Linbrooks with a second pair of subs, as well.

The Orions are supposedly designed for audiophiles.

But they're also supposed to be able to generate more detail and precision off-axis throughout most rooms!

WHICH THEY DO!

So, they're simply a killer speaker to track, edit, mix and master on.

29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Get 0300 with two 0800subs and be stunned by the massive sound you can get by open up the headroom.
LeMauce, do u have the 0300s? & w/ 2 subs? I'm assuming u do.

Just asking cuz I'd like to know how u hooked up ur subs. For instance, I have a SUB OUT from my Dangerous Monitor ST controller. So it's a Left & a Right cable. U have a similar setup? Are u just plugging the Left into sub#1 & the Right into sub#2? Or are u connecting some other way?. Appreciated.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to LeMauce
I split from my L/R output.

L -> Sub -> 003L
R -> Sub -> 003R
And I bypass my subs with a homemade y-cable footswitch for the 2triggers inside the subs.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Kool. Thanks for that. I was always curious how people hook up 2 subs. BTW the Kleins look killer in your room!
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to LeMauce
Quote:
Kool. Thanks for that. I was always curious how people hook up 2 subs. BTW the Kleins look killer in your room!
No problem! Thanks, I already outgrow that room. Going to move soon. This is in my appartment in the heart of Paris. I hope really to find something bigger really next door, but it's hard on the moment. But the prices are going down big time here in Paris.

Back on topic, the 0800 is by the way not more build by K&H. Only NOS.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
No problem! Thanks, I already outgrow that room. Going to move soon. This is in my appartment in the heart of Paris. I hope really to find something bigger really next door, but it's hard on the moment. But the prices are going down big time here in Paris.

Back on topic, the 0800 is by the way not more build by K&H. Only NOS.
Ahh Pair-ee (Paris)! Bigger is not always better tho. Eh maybe sometimes. More $$ more overhead. Good luck w/ it regardless. Yeah I did hear that K&H isn't making the 0300s anymore & now the sub like u say. I just was about to purchase the 0300s on eBay but a guy locally was gave me an incredible deal on the KRK Expose's.

Don't mean to sound ignorant but what's the 003 u mention? I was also told that 2 subs together side have triple the power than if they are spread apart & near the monitors. But it's amazing how many times I go into studios & don't see em side by side.
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Hans how did i know u owned some KRKs? What a coincidence.
The boxy(cavity) problem involves all the other brands like Focals, Adams, Atc etc ...as well.

About the KRK, some clients(less experienced but with enough money to rent the studio) use them sometime, so we have one in the store, just in case
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search