Login / Register

Best Outboard EQ for Master Bus
New Reply
Subscribe
2nd March 2006
Old 2nd March 2006
Gear maniac

Tim from Buzz was saying in another thread around 4K US for the non mastering (no detented pots) and 7 for the mastering version.
I am very fond of the GML. I don't have one now, but we did at the studio I started at. I loved the colour of the nobs too.
Cheers
2nd March 2006
Old 2nd March 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to NathanEldred
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman
Do you know which will be the aproximate price?

I believe Tim was shooting for $4,000 USD for the non mastering version, for the mastering I'm not sure...we'll have Tim swing by and comment. Might be safer to wait until just before release later this year.

Quote:
I've got a MA2.2 (from you, remember?) and I'm very happy.

Thank you, glad to know you are enjoying it!!!
2nd March 2006
Old 2nd March 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aevan
Tim from Buzz was saying in another thread around 4K US for the non mastering (no detented pots) and 7 for the mastering version.
I am very fond of the GML. I don't have one now, but we did at the studio I started at. I loved the colour of the nobs too.
Cheers
I thought it was $4000 and $4700 ... only 8 switches added, shouldn't be $3000 !
Mastering Engineer Recent #1 records: The Black Keys "Turn Blue", Ray LaMontagne "Supernova", Chet Faker "Built on Glass", Arctic Monkeys "AM"

Spiral Groove - Studio One - a truly useful nearfield mixing speaker
3rd March 2006
Old 3rd March 2006

First let me apologisze to those who have been waiting to audition the REQ2.2. It is coming, we just need to be able to afford the production run - it's a pretty expensive thing to produce and we don't cut corners.

The street price should be around the US$4500 mark for non detented boost/cut and another $500-600 for the detented version.

Cheers
Tim.

Visit Buzz Audio - Facebook
3rd March 2006
Old 3rd March 2006
Gear addict

Thoughts on the Summit EQP-200?
3rd March 2006
Old 3rd March 2006
Gear Head

We do a Mastering Eq, the Maselec MEA-2 however it is over your budget but very much worth considering if it is mastering style tweaks that you are after.
3rd March 2006
Old 3rd March 2006
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno
No, you may not be. This is definitely not always the case. As a mixer, you sometimes get things that have been recorded with a certain sonic character that permeates all the sounds -- depending on who did it, how it was done, and the type of equipment used. Sometimes it is better to get everything to work together as a whole and then fine tune the whole thing with EQ, as opposed to trying to dig it out of every individual sound. Sometimes hitting the stereo buss hard to get a desired effect rounds off the top end too much, so adding an EQ to brighten it up makes sense. Sometimes it just SOUNDS better when you add or remove a touch of something at the very end.

It's only wrong when it doesn't sound good in the end.

John

I always thought that was the job of the mastering engineer. Maybe some of you folks could bring in a chart showing what EQ was applied so if the mastering guy wants to undo it, he knows were to apply reverse EQ? Or better yet, bring in a mix with and without that EQ so the mastering guy has something to choose from?

Perhaps suggested EQ listening curves could be supplied in the album notes so the end listener could fine tune the the whole thing?
When did the fashion of buss mix EQ begin? I don't remember anyone doing this 25 years ago. Is it to compensate for low cost recording gear or the losses running through it?

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
4th March 2006
Old 4th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Is it to compensate for low cost recording gear or the losses running through it?

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
It's to make it sound good, as Paterno was saying. The job of the mastering engineer is to take what the mixer thinks sounds good and make it better. I have an EQ on the mix buss on the 8078 that I'm mixing on, from 48 tracks of tape, with great gear. It sounds better IMHO to add a bit of top end to everything that was going to brightened anyway. sometimes it doesn't work, but more often than not, it does for me...

Cheers,

Ryan Hewitt
4th March 2006
Old 4th March 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaccess
It's to make it sound good, as Paterno was saying. The job of the mastering engineer is to take what the mixer thinks sounds good and make it better. I have an EQ on the mix buss on the 8078 that I'm mixing on, from 48 tracks of tape, with great gear. It sounds better IMHO to add a bit of top end to everything that was going to brightened anyway. sometimes it doesn't work, but more often than not, it does for me...

Cheers,

Ryan Hewitt

Same here..for this session,a couple pultecs strapped to an API 3288 mixbuss..
everybody agrees..no if's or buts about it,it just sounds better..
done deal.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search