API 2500 link and filter controls
New Reply
Subscribe
Space Station
10th April 2011
Old 10th April 2011
Lives for gear

API 2500 link and filter controls

I admit, I dont really understand these controls fully.

What do they actually do and why would I use them?
SRS
11th April 2011
Old 11th April 2011
SRS
Lives for gear

2500 Manual

Pages 2&8
Attached Files
File Type: pdf API2500 Manual.pdf (239.0 KB, 210 views)
11th April 2011
Old 11th April 2011
Lives for gear

Basicly it's all abot how different the two sides (L/R) get compressed.

When linked 100 % both sides get compressed evenly when a signal in one side, either left or right, exeeds the threshold. In IND mode it's the opposite. So if you have loud sound in the left side and a quiet in the right, only the left gets compressed.

The filters are just like a normal side chain and filters out for example the low end in the sidechain, making the compressor react less to low end.

Soundwise I find that a link of about 70% can material a bit wider while still having the center locked. A link of 100 % keeps the center dead tight.

Each setting has it's own uses. But the good thing with the API2500 is that everything sounds amazing

www.tonekontrol.dk
www.myspace.com/supershadecph
www.hotmastering.dk - online mastering
Space Station
11th April 2011
Old 11th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasso View Post
The filters are just like a normal side chain and filters out for example the low end in the sidechain, making the compressor react less to low end.
Really?

I thought there was more to it in how the filters work in conjunction with the link function..rather than just a HPF sidechain affair..

I'm still not understanding fully ...
11th April 2011
Old 11th April 2011
Lives for gear

As I understand it it's no more than that?! It means you can have for example a Beatles panning thing going on with loud kick in the left side andn not have it trigger the link, allowing for even more fine tuning than ust the link.

Or inversely you can prevent a hi pitched snare on the right trigger compression on the right side.

That's how I understand it. I gotta admit I haven't used the link filter yet though. But plenty of less than 100 % link for more open material.
2 Weeks Ago
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Gear maniac

using the api 2500 on drum bus - kick and snare down the center, with lots of stereo panned hi hats and percussion...

wondering what the ideal setting for LINK would be in this scenario? I can't hear much of a difference, though, I am assuming unlinked makes the most sense, unless advised otherwise.

Thanks!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search