the beach/humidity and vintage gear=???
New Reply
Subscribe
whitepapagold
28th January 2006
Old 28th January 2006
Banned

the beach/humidity and vintage gear=???

Im potentially moving the studio back to the beach-its at a separate location right now. The house is on the water(and I mean the ocean washes up against the base). Am I in for trouble- ie salt and humidity? Everything metal rusts outside-not as bad inside. Potato chips go limp in hours. My main concern is an LA2A, 1176ln(these are the two Im most worried about), gml 8200, gml 8302 and an ad8000se (since the GMLs are still in production and the ad8000se could always be upgraded-Im not as worried for these). The LA2A looks like it was MADE TO RUST! I watched the salt air EAT one of our old cars.... The room is in the back of the house upstairs so it not facing the ocean. Do I need to start shopping for a DE-humidifier? Or do I just need to get off my fat ass once a week and wipe it all down like a freakin boat?
28th January 2006
Old 28th January 2006
Lives for gear

I lived a block from the ocean for about 4 years and never had a problem. Kept the windows closed and the room air conditioned. I suppose you should get in the habit of wiping things down, cleaning your patch cables, and trying to get the room as airtight as possible.

--------------------------
http://www.robmixmusic.com
28th January 2006
Old 28th January 2006
Gear maniac

and take stuff like guitars (wood) out to the dessert to dry it out. wrap em in blankets and put them in the trunk. be careful of microphone capsules as well--they'll die on you. just some experiences from recording out in malibu.....
whitepapagold
30th January 2006
Old 30th January 2006
Banned

Thanks! This is one where I wasn't sure where or who to ask! Plus after watching what saltwater does to basically EVERYTHING down there, YIKES! I can store some pieces but I really need the gear up and running.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search