Login / Register

2.5k and in need of 8xAD and pair of DA. Will Mytek + do it for acoustic recordings?
New Reply
Subscribe
oldtimeblues ]
5th January 2006
Old 5th January 2006
Gear Head

2.5k and in need of 8xAD and pair of DA. Will Mytek + do it for acoustic recordings?

I was about to buy a Mytek 8x96 AD with ADAT card for 2k. I do not have a DA on par with the MYTEK AD so for now I was gong to pick up a Rumour and use it's DA. This is strictly for acoustic recordings.

Considering this package is gonna cost me $2500, can I do better in a more practical way? The Rumour concerns me on the last stage to my newly acquired JBL LSR6328s. $2500 is the LIMIT on the AD DA.

Ultimately, I will go for a higher end DA when money allows but if I can do it all now - why not, that's why I need "YOUR" help! What to do?
oldtimeblues ]
5th January 2006
Old 5th January 2006
Gear Head

your high end help is needed...I'm trying to make a quick decision.
5th January 2006
Old 5th January 2006
Gear nut

5th January 2006
Old 5th January 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to T.RayBullard Send a message via MSN to T.RayBullard Send a message via Yahoo to T.RayBullard
Mytek products are excellent, top notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimeblues ]
I was about to buy a Mytek 8x96 AD with ADAT card for 2k. I do not have a DA on par with the MYTEK AD so for now I was gong to pick up a Rumour and use it's DA. This is strickly for acoustic recordings.

Considering this package is gonna cost me $2500 can I do better in a more practical way? $2500 is the LIMIT.

Ultimately, I will go for a higher end DA when money allows but if I can do it all now - why not, that's why I need "YOUR" help! What to do?
oldtimeblues ]
5th January 2006
Old 5th January 2006
Gear Head

RME is not for me. A buddy has one and it just does not do it for me. I've convinced the Mytek is the one but it's the DA that concerns me. I just can't come up with the extra cash to pull it off. $500 is not much to spend on a DA and I am unsure of the Rumour being in the chain with the Mytek.
5th January 2006
Old 5th January 2006
Head of Bumping Security (B.S)

Mytek is an excellent choice for acoustic music. I've been using the ADC 8x96 for years, and it's good for acoustic and electric music.

Just set your levels conservatively, as they do tend to hardclip on overloads. I've got 6 sample overloads that I can't hear though, so it doesn't matter much unless you're really pushing it. The signal to noise ratio is so excellent that you don't need to peg the meters whlie tracking anyway.

The only time this can be an issue is when using it for converting your overall stereo mix from analog to digital. I guess that's where some mastering engineers like the super expensive Prism. It can be pushed pretty far into the red without audible clipping, or so I've heard.

I'd be surprised if you weren't happy with the Myteks.
oldtimeblues ]
6th January 2006
Old 6th January 2006
Gear Head

Thanks for the support on the Myteks! How about on the tail end with the DA, that's what I'm really worried about at the moment?
6th January 2006
Old 6th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the support on the Myteks! How about on the tail end with the DA, that's what I'm really worried about at the moment?
I have a Mytek 8x96 A/D with ADAT card that I might be about to sell. Contact me if you are interested.

Brad
6th January 2006
Old 6th January 2006
Head of Bumping Security (B.S)

Mytek D/A is great! I'm using 16 channels of them in my current mix rig. It's a Lynx AES16->(2) Mytek ADC 8x96->Phoenix Audio Nicerizer 16.

They are very accurate D/A converters. There is no loss of detail with these.
6th January 2006
Old 6th January 2006
Lives for gear

Mytek is fine for acoustic music. Classicsound has a few.
For 2500 you can get a lavry unit with 6ad and one da from dmtrentals.
Mytek will be the cheapes way to go right now as they have discontiued their ad96.
kjetil
6th January 2006
Old 6th January 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
I was about to buy a Mytek 8x96 AD with ADAT card for 2k. I do not have a DA on par with the MYTEK AD so for now I was gong to pick up a Rumour and use it's DA. This is strictly for acoustic recordings.

Considering this package is gonna cost me $2500, can I do better in a more practical way? The Rumour concerns me on the last stage to my newly acquired JBL LSR6328s. $2500 is the LIMIT on the AD DA.

Get the Mytek 8x96 w/Adat, but not for 2 grand more like $1800. Take that 700 and scrap together another 100.00 and buy a used Benchmark Dac-1(one of the best 2ch DA on the market). This is what I paid for my Mytek with adat opt, and I just sold a Benchmark Dac-1 for $800.00.

With this setup, you can rest assured you got the most out of $2600.00.

Eddie
6th January 2006
Old 6th January 2006
Gear Head

At $1800 for a new one I would jump at it but where? Mytek says $1995. I'll be on the lookout for a used DAC or Mytek 2x96DA. Thanks!
6th January 2006
Old 6th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
At $1800 for a new one I would jump at it but where? Mytek says $1995. I'll be on the lookout for a used DAC or Mytek 2x96DA. Thanks!
That would be for a used unit with ADAT. Feel free to contact me if you think you might be interested in mine.

thanks,
Brad
6th January 2006
Old 6th January 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan
That would be for a used unit with ADAT. Feel free to contact me if you think you might be interested in mine.

thanks,
Brad
Definately used
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search