Convertors v. Channel strips
New Reply
Subscribe
The Milkman
3rd January 2006
Old 3rd January 2006
Gear interested

Convertors v. Channel strips

First up, I'm new to the board, so hello everyone! My name is Rick and I run a modest Pro Tools based studio in the wilds of Dorset, UK. We mainly do guitar bands - rock / punk / metal that kind of thing.

The 'new gear for a new year' bug has bitten me hard this year and I NEED to buy something. I have some relatively (I said it was MODEST studio ) nice front end already - I bring drums / guitars most things in through a TL Audio M3 Tube Trakker, a focusrite red 6 for vocals with a distressor and UA 2-1176, and a focusrite red 3 for compression. I really lust after some sexy channel strips. Something that'll be lush on guitars and bass. I'm thinking an API 7600...maybe an Amek CIB. Something dark and moody to contrast with the nice (some might say bland) TL / Focusrite stuff. I'm kinda tempted by the Toft ATC-2 because it's great value and I get a couple of extra compressors thrown in, but I read here the pre-amps are shite...maybe no more shite than the TL M3's though?

BUT...

I still bring in all audio though 888 | 24's. (Boo! Hiss!)

Everyone knows that a/d convertors are the most boring bits of audio equipment you can buy , and as such don't really satisfy true 'gear lust'. But am I being stupid even considering buying channel strips when I could get some Apogee convertors?

The sensible part of me KNOWS it should be the convertors, but I keep trying to kid myself that maybe my clients would hear more difference in the better strips? Is this bollocks coming from a crazed and clouded brain?

If you think I should buy a strip, which of that lot would be better for moody and mean rock GTs / basses if any?

Look forward to hearing your opinions!
4th January 2006
Old 4th January 2006
Lives for gear

have you auditioned the Dacs Clarity preamp and Digital Audio Denmark converters?
4th January 2006
Old 4th January 2006
Pragmatic Snob

something dark and moody to contrast with what you have? api is not dark and moody, if anything it's forward and smooth.

i'm thinking you'd love a great river nv or phoenix drs. they're moody, they're not so much dark as thick, so if you want them dark just roll a little high off. but you'll love the highs so much you probably won't do that.

gregoire
del ubik
The Milkman
4th January 2006
Old 4th January 2006
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob99
have you auditioned the Dacs Clarity preamp and Digital Audio Denmark converters?
No not yet - just googled them though and they sound like an interesting option, I'll have to find out who distributes them here in the UK...thanks, Rob!

My problem is I can probably only afford either a preamp / or convertors not both. Which do you think will make the most appreciable (i.e. clients noticing) improvement in the sound I'm getting?

Everyone seems to recommend the Great River pre, Gregoire - sounds like you're a fan, but are they so audiophile that it would be sacrilege pumping such a lush sound through the crunchy 888 | 24's?

Thanks guys!
4th January 2006
Old 4th January 2006

Send a message via Skype™ to toolskid
looking at your mic collection on your website I'm going to be bold enough to suggest that spending some ££s there may make a larger overall improvement to your studio than new strips or conversion!!!

all the best anyhow and good luck with 2006

the wise man can pick up a grain of sand and envision the whole universe. The fool, however,
will just lie down on some seaweed and roll around until he's completely draped in it. Then he'll
stand up and go "Hey, I'm vine man"

Last edited by toolskid; 4th January 2006 at 11:47 AM..
4th January 2006
Old 4th January 2006
Lives for gear

How about the Neve 1073 DPA? Gives you Apogee standard conversion and 2 great pres for the type of music you are recording.

Clean option of the above would be the Amek (Neve) DMCL with A/D. This is a much cleaner sound but also gives you linkable dynamics and filter section. Also, can be picked up for peanuts at the moment.
The Milkman
4th January 2006
Old 4th January 2006
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid
looking at your mic collection on your website I'm going to be bold enough to suggest that spending some ££s there may make a larger overall improvement to your studio than new strips or conversion!!!

all the best anyhow and good luck with 2006

*blushes* I haven't updated that for ages...I have some nicer mics! And some other outboard as well...

better get back on dreamweaver if I wanna keep posting here! lol

1073 DPA is a nice idea mosrite - kills two birds with one stone!
4th January 2006
Old 4th January 2006
Lives for gear

DPD?

The Neve is definitely a good option. It would be the 1073 DPD, though, to get the conversion. the 1073 DPA is without the A/D conversion. Would the 1073 DPA allow you to compress (using a separate compressor) between the preamp and the converter?
4th January 2006
Old 4th January 2006
Gear nut

I suggest that you get a Preamp and a new Word Clock Generator. I would Suggest the Mytek Studio Clock 192CX. It only costs around $1000. That would give you the ability to upgrade your pre's and converters at the same time. For the pre I would say try an Avalon 737 SP, or Millennia STT-1.

Another option would be the Mytek Stereo 96 ($1000). That would give you two channels of high quality converters, plus a now word clock to up grade the rest of your system.
4th January 2006
Old 4th January 2006
Lives for gear

Converters are EXCITING! How many times have you pressed record and after monitoring the analog and then playing back the digital did the digital not sound the same?

Hitting play and hearing the audio as close to frickin possible as the original analog is excitiment!
4th January 2006
Old 4th January 2006
Lives for gear

dacs is made in the UK

http://www.dacs-audio.com/

most suggestions will be along the line of a moody pre.

i have a DACS Clarity and a high end moody tube mic (among others). The results are amazing. The DACS records the detail of the mic. Also when the singer regardless of music style has an amazing voice - a clear mic and the DACS records it with stunning results that cuts through in most mixes. For instrument recording the DACS is something that should not be missed.

if your clients are happy with your current product (from your equipment list) the DACS vs the DAD converters would be the least expensive for a dramatic sound change.

of course, i could be completely wrong - your ears rule!

rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Milkman
No not yet - just googled them though and they sound like an interesting option, I'll have to find out who distributes them here in the UK...thanks, Rob!

My problem is I can probably only afford either a preamp / or convertors not both. Which do you think will make the most appreciable (i.e. clients noticing) improvement in the sound I'm getting?

Everyone seems to recommend the Great River pre, Gregoire - sounds like you're a fan, but are they so audiophile that it would be sacrilege pumping such a lush sound through the crunchy 888 | 24's?

Thanks guys!
5th January 2006
Old 5th January 2006
Lives for gear

should mention ...
the DACS Clarity is not a clear thin sound.
it is a very clear, rich and full sound.

hard to explain. you should audition it. you may be amazed what your mics are actually producing.

rob
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search