a simple box to do 8 ch lightpipe to analog (+4) WELL.
Old 20th December 2005
Lives for gear

a simple box to do 8 ch lightpipe to analog (+4) WELL.

I'm keen to find a simple (but good sounding) box that does only one thing - 8 ch of ADAT lightpipe to analog +4.
96k would be nice, but I know that is dual-lightpipe.

I don't need it to do A->D

- merely D->A

Standalone - not a PCI card.

Good sounding. No extra bells and whistles -

any suggestions? Thanks!!
Old 20th December 2005
Lives for gear

Get a Steinberg Nuendo 8 I/O... it's the same box as RME ADI-8 (only different faceplate) and a good converter. Most people don't know it and sell them cheap. I bought one recently for 8 extra lightpipe to analog and got it cheaper than the cheap crappy ones.
Old 20th December 2005
Gear nut

PreSonus makes a lot of quality pieces like that. a lot. each has different functions so it'd be your preference.
Old 20th December 2005
Lives for gear

This is great! Thanks guys!!

Anyone else with other ideas? Keep em' coming!
Old 20th December 2005
Lives for gear

Old 20th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca83
PreSonus makes a lot of quality pieces like that. a lot. each has different functions so it'd be your preference.

I had a look on the PreSonus website - i couldn't find anything that does what I want. Am I missing something?

I DON'T want pres, compressors, A->D....

...simply 8 ch D->A that can do lightpipe. Perhaps AES as well, and 96k might be nice.

Anyone else?

Thanks!!
Old 20th December 2005
Gear nut

ah. the presonus stuff is a bit feature loaded, but i'm fairly certain you can assign 8 TRS outputs to come from over lightpipe on at least a few of the boxes.

this is the firestation's rear view..

the 8 outs might be suitable... but a bit feature heavy for you. i know this box has been discontinued so it may be easier to find cheaply.

hmm. maybe that's one of the few that has lightpipe on it now, but that one does for sure. sorry, figured they'd have more.
Old 20th December 2005
Lives for gear

Alesis AI-3

8 channels analog/adat In AND out.
$250-$300 used
$399 new.
Old 20th December 2005
Gear addict

He said he wanted to convert ADAT>Audio WELL! If ADAT quality is good enough, just buy yourself a beat up old blackface ADAT for $200 and have the same converters as the AI-3
Old 20th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songhead
He said he wanted to convert ADAT>Audio WELL! If ADAT quality is good enough, just buy yourself a beat up old blackface ADAT for $200 and have the same converters as the AI-3
It'll be for my control room monitoring D-> A system (stereo and 5.1 coming from a variety of boxes) so an old ADAT would be a bit subpar for fidelity. I'm looking into a few options.... better than Alesis would be good too......

It'll be going into my SPL 2489 surround monitor controller (a great box, by the way)

Having both AES and lightpipe would be ideal, and 96k capable too.... but no extra stuff that I won't use.
Old 21st December 2005
Lives for gear

I suggest a used Swissonic DA24. Good quality, low price.
Old 21st December 2005
Gear maniac

I would think the Alesis A-I4 is what may help you out. Not the A-I3.
Old 21st December 2005
Lives for gear

What about Mytek? Anyone?
Old 21st December 2005
mml
Gear addict

I've got a used Swissonics DA24 as well as an AD24 in a rack tray that I'd like to sell if anyone's interested. One of them doesn't have the original power supply, but the replacement works fine. One is a MkII, the other one MkI. I don't remember which is which, and I'm not at the studio, but if anyone's interested, I'll find out and let you know. I'd love to sell them together, but I'd consider splitting them if no one wants both. Don't want to highjack the thread, so PM me if interested. Love 'em, but we got a Radar Nyquist.
Old 21st December 2005
Lives for gear

My understanding is that the Swissonic DA24 has the consumer-ish grade AKM AK4524 chip in it (as does Creamware Pulsar, Roland ADA-7000... etc) ..... and that it doesn’t sound fabulous.

Currently I’m looking at trying to get a Mytek 8X96, or perhaps an Apogee AD-16X.

Any thougths? Anyone?
Old 21st December 2005
Lives for gear

OOPS - I meant: a Mytek 8X96, or perhaps an Apogee DA-16X
Old 21st December 2005
Lives for gear

I won't lie, the Mytek stuff is wonderful in every small way. A bit pricey, but they rarely show up used so I guess that speaks for itself. Even in moving to a more mobile rig, I just went down to the Mytek 2 channel pieces. Not to be too much of a booster - but they just put out a single-space box that has 8 channels in and out and a whole ton of other features. Definitely worth a look.

Cheers,
Old 21st December 2005
Gear maniac

Very happy with the Apogee DA-16X here.
Clocking seems flawless. Both AES and lightpipe are
being used.

Have (2) AD-16X and (2) DA-16X.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search